Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   So many Atkins Books (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=155642)

ozziesgirl Sat, Dec-27-03 23:54

So many Atkins Books

Which Atkins book would be the best to buy!? There is the 1972 Version, 1992, 1997, 2002, 2003....ARGH. Then there is Atkins for Life along with the New Diet Revolution. I am confused as to which one to buy. I have read a library verson (2002) I believe but I want to have my own copy. What do you guys think?
TIA!!!

Rosebud Sun, Dec-28-03 00:22

Hi Steph,

The Atkins For Life book looks to me to be most suitable for maintenance. It gives a good overview, but for example, does not spell out what to eat for Induction.

I would suggest that you buy the most recent edition of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (aka DANDR). :)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

hey_Neener Sun, Dec-28-03 03:07

DANDR here too. I have both, and there's really not much the Atkin's for life book offers more than DANDR anyway.

black57 Sun, Dec-28-03 12:14

Which Book

What they said. I look forward to when I am at the maintenance phase because I am looking forward to getting Atkins for Life and :yay: another book to read.

armywife3 Sun, Dec-28-03 12:26

Personally I say stick with the original. I've looked at all the others but the best one is the original. It is all you need. Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution it is only about 8 bucks. It covers everything including maintenance.
by Robert C. Atkins

black57 Sun, Dec-28-03 12:28

Hey_Neener, I saw your weightloss pics and you look great. It reminds me of the thread on the basic low carb site, where we are discussing all of us who criticise our former weight. We are discussing that the way we view ourselves at our former weight might insult others who are at that weight or higher. Everyone has different body shapes and types. You are a good example of that! You have a very nice hourglass figure. Whereas, if I weighed 209 lbs, I would look like a bouncing ball. Keep up the good work. How long do you plan to be on induction?

Black57

hey_Neener Sun, Dec-28-03 12:42

Thanks Black57! I plan on staying with Induction until I am down to 175 then bump up a few carbs. I plan to stay very low until 5-10 pounds to goal. I wear my weight all over. There are no problem spots-I have had a problem body! I have been very pleased so far, but have a long way to go.

LadyBelle Sun, Dec-28-03 12:45

I'd saw go with the most current edition a it has references to current studies and has 30 years more research behind it then the origional. I'm not sure if I would get any newer that were published after Atkins death though. It makes me wonder who is writing them, the doctors or the marketing department.

I have a copy of Atkins for life. It's alot of success stories. One good feature though is it has easy to follow charts that have foods to eat often, in moderation, and rarely. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, or who are LC'ing for medical reasons and have no weigh tot lose, it recomends to start by lowering carbs to 60g a day instead of doing induction.

It also has some more moderate carb recipes.

For me the books that are a must to own are
DANDR
Low-Carb Recipes

Books that should be read at least
Atkins for life
Protien Power (goes more into the science)
Other LC cookbooks and online recipes.

Right now I want to get a copy of CAD and the Protien Power comfort foods cook book. I can't find either in local book stores and financial strain keeps me from ordering online.

ozziesgirl Sun, Dec-28-03 13:55

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice