Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Whey Protein Powder Offer (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170937)

Demi Fri, Mar-05-04 07:33

Whey Protein Powder Offer

Holland & Barrett have got a great offer this month on Whey Protein Powder - the 908g tub is half-price at £10.99, includes all flavours (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and banana).

For anyone who doesn't know, whey protein is great to use to make shakes (for a quick breakfast, for instance), plus it's also a good to use when cooking cakes, muffins etc.

If you're interested, there's a couple of my shake recipes here - if you want any others, just ask :)

atkins_not Fri, Mar-05-04 11:44

thats cool i might get it soon, but also does anyone know a recipe for choc ice cream? because i fount one but unsure
200ml cream
some splenda lol
and vanilla protein shake mix

so instead shall i use Whey Protein Powder or is that different to vanilla protein shake mix?

muddland Sat, Mar-06-04 05:35

thanks

for posting up about the Whey powder I will get myself some of that. A while back when I had my first attempt at this i think i must haver bought the wrong thing then because I bought the H&B Isolate powder and its a bit :Puke: . Can anyone tell me how to improve the taste of this stuff or what else i can do with it, i think I saw on a thread somewhere that it can be used in cooking...bearing in mind I am doing induction but with a higher carb intake of about 30g due to a reaction with my athritis (which I am pleased to say that i have dropped a couple of pounds already...)

SunnyLady2 Sat, Mar-06-04 07:01

Chocolate Iced Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkins_not
thats cool i might get it soon, but also does anyone know a recipe for choc ice cream? because i fount one but unsure
200ml cream
some splenda lol
and vanilla protein shake mix

so instead shall i use Whey Protein Powder or is that different to vanilla protein shake mix?

Hi

Try this for a quick fix - the measures are approx and not critical and no need for why powder...

1 small pot double cream (5 Fl Oz or a little more) (whipping cream also works)
1 dessertsp cocoa powder (not drink - the stuff thats about 10 carbper 100 gr)
1 dessertsp splenda (mine is kept with vanilla pods in it)
1 bare tsp vanilla essence (mine is home made with vanilla pod steeped in vodka)
about 1/4 tsp granulated coffee powder (optional its adds depth and I sometimes use the flavoured granulated coffee sold by Whittard - for Mocha ice add more coffee and less cocoa)

(1 dsp = roughly 2 level tsp)

Whisk together - I use the (Delia recommended) Lakeland hand whisk but, if you want to, you can do it with an electric whisk. The trick is not to overwhip - just to sort of soft peak. If you overwhip you end up with a sort of horrid textured butter.

Pop back into the cream pot - it should almost overflow (and then "lick the bowl" as you will find a little left over) - actually I often just use the small plastic bowl I whip it in. Bung in freezer for about an hour and a half. What you get is frozen on the outside and soft inside - not really icecream, hence now called iced cream!

The vodka slows the freezing but do not leave it more than 2 hours as it will go solid and the texture will not recover if you put in the fridge to cure (lack of sugar and no egg - which I do add if I do this in the icecream maker but I never remember to put the bowl in the freezer in time).

I now use less splenda and am aiming to get to the point where I don't need it. Very piggy and very comforting

SL

doogieb Sat, Apr-17-04 10:29

Just to let you guys know, it's on again :D

And it's only £10.66 a drum this time... even cheaper than before!

Mice_Elf Mon, Apr-19-04 09:14

Thanks for this - have just ordered some Vanilla Whey Powder as my breakfasts are the worst meal to cater for. :)

Anyone know how many carbs are in a serving, please?

doogieb Mon, Apr-19-04 11:32

The full labels are on h&b's site.... from memory around 1.5 for vanilla, but will have to check.

doogieb Mon, Apr-19-04 11:53

just checked my drum, it's 1.4g carb per serving. Depending on what you're doing (eg post workout etc) you might want more than one serving at a time for the protein.

Mice_Elf Mon, Apr-19-04 11:55

Thanks Doogie. :)

neo_crone Tue, Apr-20-04 11:16

I just bought a drum of the vanilla cos I'm a sucker for a bargain. I have only used unflavored whey before. H+B brand has more carbs and less protein % than my usual brand though, and it also contains AceK sweetener. I'm getting into making nut-flax-whey protein slices for breakfast lately, so I'm going to make up a batch tonight and see if its okay.

neo_crone Wed, Apr-21-04 06:10

I just tried a little of the vanilla powder mixed up with single cream and water. It is soooooooo sweet!!! It tastes like melted ice cream! I think I'll leave out the SF Syrup from my bar recipe based on this taster ;-)

doogieb Sun, Apr-25-04 08:46

Just noticed today.... H&B currently have the Muscle Tech Nitro-Tech bars down from 2.99 to 1.49 - wasn't marked on the shelf but went through at that price on the system and came up sale item on the receipt, which was a nice surprise :)

They're 6g net carbs, but 35g of protein.... I grabbed one after the gym today as I was starving (after a double whey protein straight after workout) - a little on the high "net" carb side, but a good whack of protein, which at that price is good value.

Two Atkins Advantage bars would give you 37g of protein for 4g net carbs, but at £1.60 each that's more than double these on sale price.

Be warned though, they are *tough* to eat.... my jaws ended up aching by the time I reached the end of it.... which I'm sure was a mini workout in itself ;)

Mice_Elf Mon, Apr-26-04 07:54

How long are your orders tending to take, please?

Not heard anything from H&B at the moment, except for the Payment Successful thing... Am I rushing them or do they normally take over a week to send things out?

doogieb Mon, Apr-26-04 10:15

Mice_Elf - No idea, I always just pop into one of my local H&B stores, have never ordered anything from them over the web. Maybe email their contact us section or something?