Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Craving Sweets Bigtime! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123204)

jrzygirl Wed, Jul-16-03 07:53

Craving Sweets Bigtime!

Tomorrow will be 3 wks since I started. I am still on induction, will be for a while. My problem is, after every lunch and dinner, I crave sweets. I have yet to find something that is allowable. The bars and shakes seem to stall me and I cant stop at just 2 tbs of whipped cream.

Last night I had sugar free jello w/a little whipped cream. But I think the sweeter is not allowed during induction, right?

I have been at 171 for over a week now. I just took my measurements 2 days ago, so I have no idea if I've lost inches yet.

Can anyone recommend a good dessert? Thanks!

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-16-03 08:36

Asperteme is a nono, but you can have splenda. Read through the induction allowed foods list, it gives how much sweetner you can have a day. Use knox gelitin, splenda, and unsweetened koolaid. You can also use splenda sweetened crytal lite, or DiVincci syrups.

The cravings get better, but they will get better faster if you try not having anything sweet for a while until the cravings pass. There is also a suppliment L-Glutimin (sp) that taken before eating helps with cravings. Stay strong. In OWL you can have more variety and start experimenting with a wide variety of LC sweets. You might also look into a mock danish right now as a treat.

joe_ Wed, Jul-16-03 08:43

if you have a health food store/supplement/nice grocery store there are lots of sweet low carb (under 3 ) bars that will save your sweet tooth... i had a chocolate smores bar the other day it was really good, only 3 carbs.

jrzygirl Wed, Jul-16-03 09:30

ladybelle,

what do I do with the knox gelatin/unsweetened gelatin? I will try the supplement you recommended, thanks.

Joe, I have found that I stall when I eat any low carb bars or shakes. Wish Icould try that smores bar, sounds yummy!

mammoth Wed, Jul-16-03 09:34

Hi: I take ONE packet Knox gelatin, ONE packet unsweetened Kool-Aid...7 Packets splenda sweetner, and ONE cup HOT water....mix in bowl...then add ONE cup COLD water...mix...put in cups...into fridge...makes jello!

Others have said use two packets knox...It work just as well with one packet, and is not as thick like a chunk of plastic. One packet KNox makes it like real jello.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes;
Jake

jrzygirl Wed, Jul-16-03 09:53

thanks mammoth, I am going to try that tonite! Hopefully that will tame the big bad Sweetmonster that invades my house each nite!

Jeanne Sch Wed, Jul-16-03 11:21

Hi JrzyGirl:
I too have an issue with sweets. Here is what I did.
On INduction I had NO sweets except a decaf coffee with one splenda, once a day. I took the L-glutamine before each meal or whenever I had a craving.
When I have a sweet tooth I either make a low carb sweet or a store bought one I can have or I just say NO, have some water and get over it.
I fight candida which does create sweet cravings (sucky) but in time, I will have control of that too.
When I am tempted by sweets when I'm away from home I just remind myself that I can make something that is better for me and tastes better than whatever it is I am looking at (especially the foodstores bakery section - most of the stuff looks good and tastes awful!)

hey_Neener Wed, Jul-16-03 11:24

Low carb cheesecake is just what the sweet tooth ordered. Unfortunately-you have to be able to practice strict portion control. The ingredients may be allowed, but the calories can keep you from losing.