Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Where can I find DaVinci Syrups in Ontario? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25229)

fishinmom Sat, Nov-10-01 21:30

Where can I find DaVinci Syrups in Ontario?

Does anyone know of a chain store or something that sells the Davinci syrups in Ontario. I heard at one time that Winners used to carry them but I haven't seen any there lately.

Fishinmom

Natrushka Sat, Nov-10-01 22:03

Never knew about Winners.... Didn't know you could get them in Canada. I have ordered a few bottles from Judy (Low Carb Experts), check out the "Low Carb Co-op" .

Nat

fishinmom Sat, Nov-10-01 22:18

Yeah Winners had them a couple years ago but the selection was very limited but at least you could get them!

I don't use credit cards so it's really hard for me to order on the net.

I'll just keep looking - I've written the company and am waiting for a response - hopefully they can give me the name of their Ontario distributor and with any luck I'll find something close to home.

;)

Fishinmom

doreen T Sat, Nov-10-01 22:23

hi fishinmom,

Winners was a one-time only thing ... they ordered a limited amount of stock, and once gone, that was it :(

I highly recommend the Low Carb Co-op. I've placed orders, and been very satisfied ... and Judi accepts cheques by snail mail. Plus, she's here in Canada (BC) so no duty or exchange, just GST if applicable, and Canada Post charge. Even regular delivery got here to me in Ontario in a few days.

Doreen

fishinmom Sat, Nov-10-01 22:33

I've checked out the Low Carb Co-op looks like I'll be putting in an order soon.

Thanks for the info.

Fishinmom

numberonewendy Sun, Nov-11-01 05:33

Hi Fishinmom,

I don't know if your aware of this but E.D. Smith has a no sugar added syrup out now. NormaJune found it and told me about it. I saw it at Zhers. E.D. also provides no sugar added jams too.

fishinmom Sun, Nov-11-01 07:44

Thank you

I wasn't aware they had a syrup! I did read that they had a jam and I was going to look for it next time I go shopping - now I can keep an eye for the syrup too !

Yipee

Fishinmom

Deirdre Sun, Nov-11-01 13:24

Sorbee's also has sugar free syrups. Maple, Chocolate, Strawberry and Blueberry. I haven't seen them in too many places, I originally found them at Sick Kids in Toronto, but just got some at Hy & Zel's drugstore in Oshawa. I heard they had the chocolate at A&P in Whitby too. Lots of stores carry Sorbee's products so maybe you could ask them about the syrup. Also at Hy & Zel's they had Sorbee's jam type spread - strawberry and grape.

Sweet'n'Low has a sugar free chocolate syrup too.

IslandGirl Thu, Nov-15-01 20:20

Sorbee's, Estee, E.D.Smith, Cary's ...

These are all brands of syrup available in Canada, usually in a drug store (often in the diabetic supplies section) or grocery store, you have to look for them.

Take care and read the labels carefully, though: They use a combination of bulk and non-bulk sweeteners that aren't "technically" sugar (or SUCROSE) but are "sugars", such as fruit juice concentrate, fructose, maltitol, sorbitol, glycerin (sugar alcohols) etc. together with the aspartame, acesulfame-K, and cyclamates. Check the carb count per serving, they aren't zero or one. Don't get me wrong, this is just fine if your metabolism or tastebuds are ok with these things.

The only Splenda sweetened syrup (and no sugar alcohols) so far, zero carb per serving, is the Da Vinci... which is why I carry it because I'm dang fussy about what I go to the trouble to import :D

The Torani syrups (out of San Francisco) have recently started using Splenda as a sweetener, and they can occasionallay be found in places like coffee shops, who will sell you a bottle if ya ask 'em! They, however, are using glycerin in their syrup as a texturizer and bulk sweetener. Puts them in MY bad books. :(

Out here in the West part of Canada, I believe JJ Bean (a coffee shop in Vancouver and Edmonton, maybe Calgary too) has distribution for the DaVinci Gourmet but they only (so far) carry 4 basic flavours in stock (Vanilla, Irish Cream, Hazelnut and Almond? I think).

Hope this helps! :D { if not, click on my logo below and check the LC Co-ops official webpage } :D

ciouid Tue, Jul-23-02 16:31

E.D. Smith no sugar added syrup

Is it okay to eat this product since it has concentrated grape juice in it? I bought some but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure about it for that reason alone. Didn't really like the french toast recipe with pork rinds because I didn't have anything good to put on it at the time.