Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Is ketosis harder to reach the 2nd time (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=77255)

AnnetteW Mon, Dec-30-02 07:16

Is ketosis harder to reach the 2nd time

I was trying induction a 2nd time, just till I got back into ketosis, then back to OWL, or so was my plan. It's not happening, it's like my body is fighting it..."AH HA...she's trying to trick us fat cells into losing weight...we won't let her get us this time."

Just wondering if anyone's noticed that it takes longer, is harder to reach, whatever. I'm interested in your experiences.

DoubleD Mon, Dec-30-02 07:27

Actually, I have never been out of ketosis. I am currently reinducting to kick start my weight loss - but I have been in ketosis all through my efforts at increasing carbs in OWL. However, I was noticing my cravings and hunger were starting to increase - and I was starting to overeat on legal foods... hence my decision to reinduct.

I am back losing after four days of induction and my hunger has simmered back down.

How long have you been back on induction? It takes at least 48 hours and usually more to switch back into ketosis. Are you sure you are at a net 20 carbs or less? Carb creep from coffee, pkts of splenda, etc., too much cheese, cream etc. can sabotage you.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Cinderella Mon, Dec-30-02 09:01

I've noticed that it usually takes me 3-4 days to get back in ketosis after I mess up.

hang in there.

cin

pinkclouds Thu, Oct-06-05 13:30

Are you close to TOM? My ketostix never register color when right before or during my period. I had a 2 day cheat this week and started induction again on Tuesday. Last night, I was back in ketosis, so it took about 2 days for me.

LOOPS Thu, Oct-06-05 13:41

My second time round I did get into ketosis pretty fast as I do a lot of sport, but any weight loss didn't come until the third week! I don't lose much anyway (I'm near goal weight but always stall after about 5lbs loss!). I keep hovering around the 60 kilos mark, even with low carbs (although I never go to induction level and don't really restrict cheese/cream - perhaps I should!).

First time I did Atkins I lost a whole load of water weight the first few days and then some more.

Just keep at it - if you feel good then what's to worry? I'm sure it'll come eventually.

Loops

whyspers Thu, Oct-06-05 17:30

I usually get there pretty fast...within 24 hours or 48 at most. I use the ketosticks to check :)

L

eve25 Thu, Oct-06-05 21:04

takes me longer now!!! i have to do something dramatic to kick start it. like, 5-10 carbs, less protein than usual, and very low cal (1200). only for 1 or 2 days and then eat regular induction. it is soooo much easier when you are in ketosis!!

coolwater Thu, Oct-06-05 21:11

I find using coconut oil accelerates ketosis for me when I've restarted. I get that metallic taste and appetite supression within the first 24-48 hours, depending on how much carbs I've stored up and my activity level of course.

eve25 Thu, Oct-06-05 21:24

oh i forgot to add that i eat a lot of veggies on those days. cheeses, a little chicken or fish for lunch, and lots of veggies for dinner. this last time i ate a whole head of cauliflower with lots of olive oil for dinner (the cauliflower popcorn recipe-my new fav food) and thats it. the next morning, pink stix.