Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Saturated Fat has gaven me AWESOME Health. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27649)

Kent Fri, Dec-14-01 15:34

Saturated Fat has gaven me AWESOME Health.

Saturated Fat has given me AWESOME health!

Starting in June 1999 at 60 years of age I began a high-fat, high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet with absolutely AWESOME results. I have lost 43 pounds to date. My cholesterol cardiac risk went from high risk to PERFECT. My bad triglycerides plunged from 214 to 92 and my good HDL skyrocketed from 35 to 55. . My blood pressure dropped 15 point to normal. It cured a skin problem on my hand and cured my allergy to my daughter's cat. My energy is wonderful and I never get sick like before and have never even had a cold. I hike the Rocky Mountains like a big horn sheep at 11,000 feet elevation for hours. My heart and lungs are perfectly clear. I eat lots of medium chain saturated fats from coconut oil and butter. High-fat ribeye steaks are consumed several times a week and I eat three soft boiled eggs every day for breakfast. Coconut oil has lauric fatty acids which is the same as in mother's milk and has proven antipathogenic properties. I do NOT eat partially hydrogenated oils, polyunsaturated vegetable oils, sugar, fruit, milk, grains, bread, starchy veggies like potatoes and yams, or other high-carbohydrate foods. I do eat lots of red-meat, fish, fowl, raw nuts, light colored real cheese and non-starchy veggies. This plan has truly SAVED MY LIFE.

You can read my story and learn more about the wonderful health benefits of the low-carb lifestyle on my web page at:

The Ultimate Nutritional Program for Healing and Health Preservation

tamarian Fri, Dec-14-01 17:45

Great page Kent, and welcome aboard! There's lot's on info to digest. Bookmarked. :thup:

Wa'il

JoAnnAtkin Sat, Dec-15-01 19:34

GREAT Job Kent!!!!

:wave: Howdy Kent! :wave:
My name is JoAnn...age 55, from Texas. I need to lose about 40 pounds to help get my blood pressure down some, so the doctor won't have to "up my medications".

I asked my internal medicine doctor if he would recommend one of the Low Carb/protein diets and he said abruptly NO!!!
I have decided that some of the doctors just are not educated on this particular WOE and won't take the time to find out about it.

Did you mention that your doctor thought it was OK that you did this Low carbing/Protein diet? Or did you just do it and prove to your doctor that it works?

Kent, I have my concerns about going on one of these diets, since my doctor said NO to me about it. But, I plan on starting it Jan 1 along with my mother and sister. Hopefully, my blood work in 3 or 4 months can prove to him that he is wrong about this particular Low Carb/ Protein diets.

But, I must say , I will be concerned, myself, until I take the test in 3 or 4 more months.

I would appreciate any feed back you can give me about the concerns I have. :q:

Hope to hear from you soon?
Jo Ann in TEXAS :wave:

Kent Sat, Dec-15-01 20:17

Hi JoAnn,

I used my past doctors as a means to obtain the blood tests through my insurance company. I did not tell them anything about my diet or ask any questions. I had a high normal blood pressure for 15 years and it didn't respond that well to the low-carbohydrate. My doctor gave me a prescription for a diuretic which I did NOT fill. He failed to tell me that the diuretic depletes one's potassium level and could cause a quick ER, emergency room, visit. In fact, I know someone who had this happen to her and it could have caused her death.

Instead, I did some research and found that I should reduce sodium (salt) and increase potassium using Morton's Salt Substitute which is potassium chloride. One should be cautious with potassium because over use can cause interference with the signal regulating heart beat. A hard exercise for 20 minutes which gets you heart rate to 120 is also very important to lower blood pressure. I have a 4.6 mile bike route that takes 22 minutes and it has one long hard uphill section about mile long. Immediately after my ride yesterday my pressure was 125/78 with a pulse of only 99 and I was still breathing hard. I went in the house as quickly as possible to get the reading that I consider to be very good.

The low-carbohydrate is VERY HEALTHY. Red meat and saturated natural animal fats are very healthy. I eat 3 eggs for breakfast and meat all other meals with non-starchy veggies. I use coconut oil for frying and eat avocados. My cholesterol improvement was AWESOME. Don't be concerned, but you should educate yourself with books like Atkins' New Diet Revolution and Dr. Mary Enig's book Know Your Fats for starters.

My web page is down today because a computer hacker did some damage to the server, but check the following link later and read it all. There are great links to other sites. Be sure to try the "reload" on your browser after each failed attempt to load my site to clear the failed message from the browser history. It may load the next time.

The Ultimate Nutrition Program for Healing and Health

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kent

JoAnnAtkin Sat, Dec-15-01 21:00

Kent ........thank you!

Kent........

Thank you .........thank you.........so much for your quick response! You have made me feel so much better about deciding to try one of the Low Carb/Protein diets.

I plan to start right after Christmas! Keep your fingers crossed. I am not a big meat eater.........so this will be a challenge for me! :rolleyes:

I will post in when I start and let you know how I do! :)

Kent, also, thank you for the site you mentioned. I will check it out as soon as it is back up and working. :roll:

Thanks again, Kent!
Jo Ann in TEXAS :wave: