Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Induction Info (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=79309)

Lolli-J Thu, Jan-09-03 19:43

Induction Info

I'm hoping some of you can share some insight and wisdom!

I began the Atkins Induction on Monday ( 4 days ago ) and have lost 5 pounds. I did a ketosis test yesterday, and I'm there. I'm happy about that! And I must say, so far this has been a very easy process. Other than being slightly constipated for a few days, I'm feeling great.

A few questions though...

I've tallied my carbs in FitDay and come up with 21. Should I worry about that one extra carb?

And how high should a protein count be? What is acceptable? My stats are:

Calories = 1872
Fat = 67%
Carbs = 3%
Protein = 30%

Am I where I should be? Am I over analyzing as usual??

Another issue is that I'm having problems sleeping. ( I hate that!) I've read that upping your carbs works, but I hesitate to do that, as I'm already above the 20 allowed during Induction. What to do???

And finally - Is one cup of coffee in the morning really a big deal? I COULD switch to defaf if I had to.

Thanks!
Lolly

tofi Thu, Jan-09-03 21:14

Hello Lolli-J and welcome. how nice that you have lost already and are in ketosis. Isn't Aktins wonderful? I'll try to answer your questions.

Quote:
I've tallied my carbs in FitDay and come up with 21. Should I worry about that one extra carb?

No, don't worry about it. Do your best to keep to 20 but don't sweat a single carb.

Quote:
And how high should a protein count be? What is acceptable? My stats are:

Calories = 1872
Fat = 67%
Carbs = 3%
Protein = 30%

Am I where I should be? Am I over analyzing as usual??

The proportions look just fine to me. On Atkins, there is no protein requirement. You can eat as much protein as you need to satisfy your hunger.

Quote:
Another issue is that I'm having problems sleeping. ( I hate that!) I've read that upping your carbs works, but I hesitate to do that, as I'm already above the 20 allowed during Induction. What to do???

I think that taking a magnesium/calcium supplement will help this.

Quote:
And finally - Is one cup of coffee in the morning really a big deal? I COULD switch to defaf if I had to.

Well, it's kind of up to you. Atkins suggests - no, he really wants us to cut out caffeine in Induction. If you could make your coffee with half decaf for a couple of days to start and then go towards all decaf, it might help. On the other hand, some people didn't cut out caffeine and they still lost. So you'll just have to see how you do. If the coffee is a necessity to you, and it's only one cup, go ahead.

Good luck.

:wave:

freydis Fri, Jan-10-03 01:36

In his interview the other night, Atkins specifically mentioned that he requires less sleep per night than he did before low-carbing. Also, I think your percentages are just right. Keep up the good work!

Lolli-J Fri, Jan-10-03 07:58

Thank you both!

I'll keep plugging along - without the coffee! It was herbal tea this morning.

Lolli-J

acipenser Fri, Jan-10-03 09:19

coffee is a individual thing. i tried, but couldn't give it up. i did give up the milk and sugar and now use cream and sugar free syrup. good luck to you.

typebmedic Fri, Jan-10-03 09:52

Quote:
Originally posted by acipenser
now use cream and sugar free syrup.

Im finding it hard to give up my coffee..what is sugar free syrup? Like pancake syrup?

freydis Fri, Jan-10-03 15:47

DaVinci Gourmet Syrups
www.davincigourmet.com

Cherry and blueberry flavors are great toppings for cheesecake. My husband likes the chai flavor in his coffee. Several others are good, too, though we didn't care for the toasted marshmallow.