Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   **Scales** (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159392)

~krista~ Wed, Jan-14-04 07:05

**Scales**

Good morning everyone!

I think I'm finally brave enough to keep a scale in my house, as of right now I get weighed once a week at our local TOPS Chapter. My question is this:

Should I get a regular or digital scale? What have you found to be the most accurate? Any particular brand?

Have a great day!

Krista

chargeit Wed, Jan-14-04 07:12

when my digital started lying I went out and got a Taylor Professional scale. It has a big face (so I don't need my glasses) and goes to I think 330 lbs. I haven't gotten back up that high but I like it .
Sandy

tampa_girl Wed, Jan-14-04 07:13

When I opted for a new scale, I went for one that also showed BF. I think it's Tanita.....I like it.

Thumbelina Wed, Jan-14-04 07:36

I also got the Tanita model that displays your body fat percentage. It's actually kind of addictive and I found I was obsessing over normal fluctuations in my body weight, so I've forced myself to get on the scale only once a week (OK, sometimes twice). The body fat display is very helpful and Tanita claims it is quite accurate. You must follow their instructions for measuring it, however -- I have found that my BF is about 3-4% higher when I wake up first thing in the morning, as compared to early evening, when Tanita recommends that you measure it. The digital scale weighs in increments of .1 pound, and I think it's very accurate. The bad news: I weigh about 1.5 lb. more on the Tanita scale than I do on my old digital scale, which I'd had for over 15 years. I think it was because the old scale allowed you to manually calibrate it, and I must have been a little "creative" in adjusting it!!!

josiekat Wed, Jan-14-04 07:44

I think to get a decent one.....you have to spend a little bit of money. I am so cheap and the first scale I bought reflected that....it was garbage.....needed to be calibrated manually almost daily......I finally tossed it and forced myself to buy another.....I spent more than the first.....but probably still didn't get a top of the line one....have had a few calibration problems.....while my friend bought a good one right from the start....digital....and she has never had a problem with it and says it's wonderful......guess I should have gone that route from the beginning.

Good luck with your search......let us all know what you end up getting.

Take care,

PT_Ireland Wed, Jan-14-04 09:27

Dr. Atkins recommends you only get on the scale once per week. I have been using a doctors scale even though I have a Tanita scale at home.

Rogue Wed, Jan-14-04 14:00

If you're going to be one of those people that steps on the scale everyday and takes to ehart what it says then it's important to get a good scale - one that won't vary from one minute to the next.

mle_ii Wed, Jan-14-04 17:31

I have a digital Tanita that also measures %bf. I like it.

I do weigh myself daily, but I don't stress about changes from one day to the next. But I do like to do it daily so that I can see the general trend during the week.