Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Splenda as an ingredient (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33091)

chnklberri Wed, Feb-06-02 10:57

Splenda as an ingredient

OK, I'm just trying to get it straight on this whole Splenda thing...

If Splenda is used as an ingredient; in, oh let's say a Carbolite candy bar, which form of Splenda is it?

Do manufacturers have to disclose dextrose and maltodextrin as an ingredient if they list "Splenda?"

I'm trying to stay away from the powdered form of Splenda. (...yes, I have already emailed the Splenda company requesting liquid Splenda.)

I can't find the tablet form of Splenda either. Synergy.com has the item on backorder. Does anyone else know of a site? I've tried eBay already, no luck...

Natrushka Wed, Feb-06-02 11:01

chnklberri, I moved this to the LC products forum where I know Judi will see it - she's sure to be able to help.

Nat

IslandGirl Wed, Feb-06-02 14:15

Quote:
If Splenda is used as an ingredient; in, oh let's say a Carbolite candy bar, which form of Splenda is it?

That would be the sucralose concentrate WITHOUT filler (there's already plenty of filler in the bar :D ). Filler is added to retail packets and "granular" to make it "handle-able" because it's really a teeny tiny amount of the actual sucralose, the chemical patented and tradenamed Splenda. That's why we want the Liquid, cuz the "filler" is then distilled water (we hope) which is carb-free compared to the dextrins. Eh?

Quote:
Do manufacturers have to disclose dextrose and maltodextrin as an ingredient if they list "Splenda?"

Only if they use the retail Splenda with filler (which makes no sense as it would drive the cost through the roof). Watch out for bake sale goods with Splenda, but manufactured goods are 99.9% NOT using the retail Splenda.

Quote:
I can't find the tablet form of Splenda either. Synergy.com has the item on backorder. Does anyone else know of a site?

If there IS a tablet form (I'll go check www.synergydiet.com soon), it is probably imported from South America, like the briefly available liquid was, and is no longer available due to import & licensing arguments by the makers of the US Splenda... I haven't heard of any available in recent months! It's certainly not on the Splenda webpages (US or Canada) so not likely available any time soon!

Hope this helps.

chnklberri Wed, Feb-06-02 17:01

now, I'm really mad...

Here is Splenda's email to me:

"Dear Misuzu,

Thank you for visiting the Splenda (TM) web site. We hope you became
more familiar with Splenda (TM) during your visit to the site.

We currently do not have plans to extend our product line to include a liquid form of SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener. Although we do sell a liquid form of SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener in other countries, SPLENDA (TM) Granular and Packets have been overwhelmingly popular and are the preferred forms among consumers in the United States.

As always, we appreciate feedback from our consumers, and would like to assure you that each comment is reviewed seriously and personally not only by the Consumer Relationship Center's management, but also by managers in other divisions, such as Quality Assurance, Research, Operations, and Marketing. We look forward to expanding our product line in the future!

We hope that we have answered your questions; however, if you would like to learn more, you are welcome to contact us again through e-mail or call a Splenda (TM) representative at 1-800-777-5363.

SPLENDA
Consumer Relationship Center"

I'm not very happy about this! I am definitely going to email managers in the Quality Assurance, Research, Operations, and Marketing departments. I hope you guys will do the same. :thup: Is there any way we can send the manufacturers of Splenda the survey on the Splenda liquid thread?

Misuzu :roll:

chnklberri Wed, Feb-06-02 17:05

Nat and IslandGirl,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to be an educated low carber.... Is that sooo wrong????? :)

You guys are the best. Thanks for your support!

Misuzu :wave:

chnklberri Wed, Feb-06-02 17:13

splenda tablets

I just went to the synergy.com site and they no longer have it listed!!!! :eek:

So much for that option. :(

Misuzu