Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   She magazine (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=184314)

Jems Thu, May-13-04 13:25

She magazine

Just bought my She magazine - and it came with a free High Protein diet book which has some nice receipes in! Its not as low as Atkins and is simalar to the diet I follow from my nutritionist.

LittleAnne Fri, May-14-04 01:05

Thanks for this, might take a look.

Demi Fri, May-14-04 08:24

It's Dr Clarke's High Protein Diet Book - or rather, a condensed version of the original book.

Paulie-M Wed, May-19-04 11:20

I saw it in Tesco today. It's a pity I'd already bought the book :rolleyes:. Still, hopefully it will spur some people on to try low carb eating. :thup:.

LondonIan Wed, May-19-04 16:08

You all beat me to this. I just came to give you a heads up.
Thisnwas the LC diet I orginally followed and had success with last year. Considerably less fussy than Atkins. Based on a 30 - 50g carb allowance. Discourages ketosis. Encourages you to fill up more or less freely on leafy, green veg.

spirit Wed, May-19-04 17:37

This is a GREAT diet! I live in the United STates and spent a fortune ordering his three books through amazon.com uk! (At the time they weren't available through amazon.com U.S.).

Why this diet plan is not more popular is very puzzling to me. I love it SO much better than Atkins! The liberal use of low starch vegetables, and the easy way the book is written is so wonderful.

I highly recommend it to anyone sick of Atkins. I wish it were more popular so the good doctor would get some credit. I know it's huge in Scotland. Is it popular in England? Just curious.

LondonIan Wed, May-19-04 18:29

It is huge in Scotland? He wrote a bigger edition for Scotland? Bigger print?

spirit Thu, May-20-04 05:58

Uh...yeah...right....HUGE fonts.

SylviaUK Thu, May-20-04 16:03

*giggles*

I'm a Charles Clark fan. I don't have his "original" book but love his "Healthy Fast Food" one which contains great ideas for low carb meals in under 10 mins and gives advice on eating out in a variety of restaurants.

In fact, all three of his low carb books are written with a UK audience in mind - not a cup or a stick in sight :D

spirit Mon, May-24-04 17:20

Sylvia, I love his book as well, and wish it were more popular here in the States. I like that you can have a lot of vegetables if you choose, instead of measuring out the piddly little cup of veggies Atkins recommends.

I also like the way book is written. It has an easy, friendly format and just glosses over all the scientific stuff us dieters don't care about anyway!

Also, he is the only diet author I know who recommends isometric exercise. I used these type of exercises years ago with good results.

I searched (U.S.) amazon.com and a new book on isometric exercise, called "The Complete Book of Isometric Exercises" will be published in the summer, so I will order that as well.