Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Induction flu (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=388494)

ozchick2be Thu, Jan-08-09 10:37

Induction flu

I am in day three of atkins and feel pretty tired !! nothing else though my OH has the bad heache and tablets wont shift it, he says he feels queezy and sick all of which I have told him are normal. Do you think it is because I have done this before that I do not feel as bad as him ?? how many days do you feel like this just want to give him a bit of reassurance it is worth sticking it out.

Amanda X

tiffie26 Thu, Jan-08-09 10:43

It's completely normal, he'll feel fine tomorrow or the next day...it's like a detox for the body that was addicted to sugars and carbs.
Now it's also cold/flu season in general so don't dismiss that as well.

I promise it's worth it, stick it through and soon ya'll will have more energy then ever!!!

Mousesmom Thu, Jan-08-09 10:58

Tiffie is quite right. He will feel better in a couple of days. He's detoxing and should drink some extra water to help the process.

Remember to eat all the induction foods you want to be full but not stuffed.

All the best, Julie

Kay2008 Thu, Jan-08-09 19:29

I don't remember having it the very first time I started low carb. But the past few times I re-started, my God I felt like death.

Over the Christmas period I went off track and was eating all the wrong foods (it was planned, not that that makes it any better...). I got back on track this Monday just gone... I was ok until yesterday (Wednesday) and I woke up feeling really poo. I felt extremely sick, so much so that when I had something to eat/drink I would bring it back up. I had a thumping headache and I just felt odd.

Today I had some slight sickness feeling, a slight headache but that's it! So it seems to be wearing off already :). This time it only lasted a day... last time it lasted about 4 days.

The only thing I don't like about drinking even more water... is the constant peeing! I feel like I am always on the loo!

meleroo Thu, Jan-08-09 20:04

I am on day 4 and I have felt horrible for the last three days. Headache, queazy and super tired. I finally got some extra sleep and that helped a little. i'm eating lots of really good induction foods, I am in ketosis and my appetite has declined but the energy has not gone up. I'm going to drink some more water and go to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

BTW, I'm new here. I everyone. :wave:

takeitback Thu, Jan-08-09 22:35

I was listening to the Livin' La Vida Low-Carb podcast today where Jimmy Moore interviews Mary C. Vernon (Weight of the Evidence blog, Atkins Diabetes Revolution) and she said that having chicken bouillon in hot water every few hours helps with induction symptoms. I'm going to try it myself because I'm definitely having some headaches and fatigue!

Let's stick it out, everyone, we know it's worth it!

ozchick2be Fri, Jan-09-09 03:57

Well Phils headache has gone and today he feels wrecked and me to woke up feeling like I could not put my clothes on !!! anyway jumped on scales and I am 4.5lb down so it is working woohooo :lol: def going to be worth it keep telling myself, I feel a bit like jelly all over, strange !

A X

mild Mon, Jan-12-09 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleroo
I am on day 4 and I have felt horrible for the last three days. Headache, queazy and super tired. I finally got some extra sleep and that helped a little. i'm eating lots of really good induction foods, I am in ketosis and my appetite has declined but the energy has not gone up. I'm going to drink some more water and go to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

BTW, I'm new here. I everyone. :wave:

It gets better....I promise.......and welcome......

Cheryle64 Mon, Jan-12-09 16:26

I couldn't have found this thread at a better time (for me)! I'm on day 3 and got hit today. I have to say that the first time I did induction I didn't feel any "flu"like effects -- I had gradually cut carbs for months before because it was what my body wanted (bodies are smart if you listen to them). This time I went "cold turkey" after a month and a half long dugar/bread fest.

I feel like CRUD today -- lightheaded, headache, cranky as heck and just want to go to bed. I am constantly reminding myself how WONDERFUL I will feel in a couple of days... no backsliding for me this time!!

Not that I'm glad other people are going through this -- I'm not -- but I can take a little comfort in not being alone right?

frisbena Mon, Jan-12-09 21:14

I am waiting for the induction flu to hit but I am prepared. The other thing that happens to me is I always have one night of insomnia when I go into ketosis. It is the strangest thing. Well worth it for the pay off though!

joesfolks Mon, Jan-12-09 21:33

I have learned on low carb that if I feel queasy (especially at the beginning) that it means that I need to eat something...something low carb.