Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Yield after cooking? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63361)

jude Sat, Sep-28-02 18:32

Yield after cooking?

I have a strip of back spareribs weighing 1.46 lbs according to the package label. Is there a way to calculate the weight after cooking, if I don't own a food scale? I assume its different since Fitday seems to show only the "yield after cooking" amount.

Thanks,

judy

tofi Sat, Sep-28-02 19:34

I don't know how you'd figure out spareribs because there is all that bone too. I don't think I'd worry too much about it because there's so little meat on it.

Or you could scrape the cooked meat off the bones and kind of pile it up and estimate before eating. :D

:wave:

jude Sat, Sep-28-02 20:01

Thanks Barb, but the only way I'm going to scrape off that meat is with my teeth, lol.

You didn't say, but is there much of a difference in "raw" and "cooked" foods? I'm not talking just meat, but also veggies. Fitday lists so many variations that I find it easier just to enter the item "raw" and then add anything I used to cook it with, say, butter.

judy

Karen Sat, Sep-28-02 22:09

Estimate that they will lose about 20% of their weight through cooking.

Karen

jude Sat, Sep-28-02 23:21

Thanks Karen....that does make a difference. BTW I'm envious of all those people coming to your next LC dinner. The menu looks scrumptious!

judy

Karen Sat, Sep-28-02 23:22

It's only a 5 hour flight! ;)

Karen

jude Sun, Sep-29-02 08:46

Yeah, and about $300 to $500 (depending on whether you fly morning or night, which is weird). Can't do it this time, but with relatives in Vancouver, I'm definitely going to visit the Fish House on my next trip.

judy

agonycat Sun, Sep-29-02 08:55

A. Weigh the strip after cooking.
B. Eat the meat.
C. Weigh left over bones

Subtract C from A to get total meat consumed.

:)

jude Sun, Sep-29-02 10:03

Thanks for the math, Agonycat, but I'm back to the original problem--no food scale.

Maybe I could weight myself holding the original package, cook and eat the meat, then weight myself again with the bones. Oops, no, I'd have to wait until the next morning cause the scales are always up at night. But what if its not my day to "weight in"? That could really screw me up psychologically! LOL

Solution? Depart with a few miserable bucks and buy a food scale, dummy!

judy

agonycat Sun, Sep-29-02 10:19

I caved in and bought a digital food scale 8 months ago. LOVE IT. It has a zero out function on it that you can weigh a container, zero it out then fill it with whatever you want weighed. It automatically subtracts the weight of the dish this way.

I purchased mine at William-Sonoma but I am sure you can find them almost anywhere.