Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone experienced motion sickness after being on Atkins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145874)

ovingtonl Thu, Oct-30-03 11:55

Anyone experienced motion sickness after being on Atkins?

This is the weirdest thing - I've flown places all my life. Recently, I've started to get motion sickness. Have managed so far to deal with the sudden nausea but just barely (if you know what I mean!). It's very uncomfortable. I noticed it for the first time on the last leg of a short flight last month. This weekend, I was flying to Palm Beach from Maryland and got queasy in the airport both on the flight down and the return flight.

I'm not afraid of flying and have never had this happen. I drank a real coke and nibbled a pretzle which helped settle my stomach. Can anyone relate to this and how do you handle it?

Stacey H Thu, Oct-30-03 12:35

I have been feeling a little more in the way of motion sickness lately also. I figured it was at least partially because Atkins has a blood preasure lowering effect and can make you feel a little dizzy. I find I only really feel it if I have an empty stomach.

Rachelle Thu, Oct-30-03 13:22

I have had a similar situation... not flying though...
Went to Great America/ Six Flags Theme park... and i am a total freak when it comes to rollercoasters...

I have never had motion sickness a day in my life... when i was there i felt extremely sick on a few of the "old favorites".... so not sure if it is diet related... but since I have been there about 100 times on the same rides... and only since LC'ing has it happened... I would say it is connected..

SlowPoke Thu, Oct-30-03 13:39

Oh my god....

I thought it was just me!!! A few months ago DH and I were going on our very first cruise to Mexico.....on the flight to Florida, I had all I could do not to use that doggie bag....and coming down was just HORRIBLE......I did fine on the cruise until the first full day at sea and then...... :Puke: ...it was horrible. DH kept saying that it was the drinks from the night before - but it never went away until we reached Mexico and got off the ship. Again on the way home...the whole day at sea was awful.....and the flight back was just as bad. I have NEVER had motion sickness before this and now I have noticed that on occasion, even riding in a car will give me that urgent...."oh my god"....kind of feeling. I wonder what causes it? But I have noticed that a quick shot of sugary type drink or food seems to ease the discomfort. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it! :)

ovingtonl Thu, Oct-30-03 13:49

Thanks for your feedback guys. Appreciate it as I was wondering if I had a low grade virus or something - even thinking about flying can make me start to be nausious. Very very strange. I was wondering if it's the lack of 'buffer' with stomach acid or something. Bread seemed to help some.

AJ_0001 Thu, Oct-30-03 13:50

I've had dizziness - I have been in the habit of going for a fast 4k walk (2.6miles) every night - the first 3 months on Atkins I would get slightly dizzy when walking but recently (past couple of weeks) when I walk I get VERY dizzy - actually had to stop and grab a lamppost one time because I felt I might fall - thought it was my breathing before and was thinking this latest is a virus but now am wondering if I should get my blood pressure checked? Otherwise I'm feeling great - no motion sickness.

catfishghj Thu, Oct-30-03 15:49

I have been having that problem lately. Just getting up out of bed sometimes can make me dizzy right now. I never had this problem before in my life. A friend suggested I take potasium supplements. I tried it and it seems to help considerably, but not completly eleminate the problem. So try taking potasium (if you are not already) and see if that helps.