Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Lemon Water Day (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130464)

yvonne326 Thu, Aug-14-03 05:39

Lemon Water Day

Just wanted to let you all know that I did the lemon-water thing all day yesterday because of the massive amounts of water retention I have experienced this week due to the pain meds I was taking for my back. Along with a light menu yesterday and minimal sodium....I am back to siggy weight (that's almost 5 lbs of water...gone).

I drank appx 90 oz of lemon water thru the day....(1 tsp lemon juice - fresh to 8 oz water) ...

So for you that are experiencing water retention...try it. It may make you shuck the water quicker and make you feel "normal" again.

kish Thu, Aug-14-03 06:55

That's great. Last year I was going to a nutritionist and she told me to get rid of water retention and feeling bloated to drink lemon water hot /or cold...hot (like tea) works better.

-K

yvonne326 Thu, Aug-14-03 07:06

Yes, warm works better but being that its in the 90's F here in NJ I stuck to the cold :D

NoSunNoFun Thu, Aug-14-03 07:12

Question?
I love LOVE lemon juice in my water, just a bit to jazz it up. However I have been told that the lemon juice has frutose in it and might cause a stall in weight loss???
Are you all sure it will help? is this something I can do every single day in all my water?
Thanks,
NoSunNoFun

yvonne326 Thu, Aug-14-03 07:15

The amount I consume during the day with my water equals less than 1/4 cup. Lemons are allowed on LC plans and have not caused me problems in past... Now if you use a lot of it daily then there may be a problem..but that is with anything you consume....and actually, lemons have less natural sugar than most other fruit (exception I think are berries)

NoSunNoFun Thu, Aug-14-03 07:23

Yvonne,

Thrilled!! Super happy to hear that. OMG I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. I am off to buy some lemons again, heck I might stop by the nursury and pick my self up a miror (sp) lemon tree while I am at it!
YIPPEE!!!
NoSunNoFun

gaijingal Thu, Aug-14-03 07:39

I think the lemons you are looking for are "Meyer" lemons, which I tell you only to help you find them.

It's been discussed before on this board, but Meyer lemons are actually a cross between oranges and lemons, so the carbs might be slightly higher than your standard lemons, but still quite low.

amy576 Thu, Aug-14-03 07:51

Huh! I never knew that lemon in your water will help with water retention. Good to know!! I'll ahve to remember that during TOM when I can't lose any weight due to water retention.

Thanks for the info!

~Amy

Froufie Thu, Aug-14-03 08:05

I don't care about water retention (well I do.....but...) I just LOVE the taste of water with a slice of lemon in it....very yummy. I even bring a small contained of sliced lemons to work to put in my water.

And it's my favorite restaurant drink too.....ice water with a twist.

YUM!

Froufie

fishburg Thu, Aug-14-03 08:18

What about lime? Will it work the same as lemon?

yvonne326 Thu, Aug-14-03 08:51

I think lime has similar properties but I don't know ???. Anyway....never heard of those other lemons (cross between orange/lemon)...they definitely have more fructose in them if they are sweeter.

MarimbaMom Thu, Aug-14-03 09:12

I'm going to have surgery in September and my surgeon recommended that I drink something she calls lemon tea for the weeks afterward to help with any postoperative swelling. The "tea" is just squeezing the juice from half a lemon into a cup of hot water. She said I could sweeten it if desired with a little honey, sugar or Splenda (guess which sweetener I will choose!)

She also gave me a diet plan for a "healing diet", which is basically Atkins premaintenance -- low carb, high protein, lots of veggies, some fruits and some whole grains but almost no refined carbs.

Pam

yvonne326 Thu, Aug-14-03 09:20

Yep, when I had my breast surgery it was recommended..I must have drank 2 quarts of the lemon tea a day thus I healed extremely well and was able to get back to normal routine in 1/2 the time.

STALLQUEEN Thu, Aug-14-03 09:27

besides lemmon and water, what do you eat that day.

let me know..

Sentoria Thu, Aug-14-03 09:32

I had no idea about lemons! I usually add the juice from 1/2 lemon in my salad instead of vinegar/dressing. I'll be trying it in water tomorrow. Thanx :thup: