Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Combining sweetners (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=21920)

tamarian Sat, Sep-29-01 16:34

Combining sweetners

Karen,

You mentioned several times that combining sweetners you can reduce the required amount. I just tried it and it works!

Any idea what's the science behing this?

Wa'il

Karen Sat, Sep-29-01 17:09

No, but I wish I did! I think it could be that because they are two different chemicals, one makes up for what the other lacks.

So, what did you make?

Karen

tamarian Sat, Sep-29-01 17:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
So, what did you make?

The ultimate, decadent, low-carb high-protein brownies. :yum:

Wa'il

Karen Sat, Sep-29-01 17:31

Well, where's the recipe?

Think I'll challenge you to a brownie bake-off! ;) The brownies I made with pork rinds last week had a great flavour, but the texture was feh.

I think I may have made the definitive Faux Carrot Cake today, but it has to sit and mellow overnight. Can't wait to see.

Karen

debbiedobson Sat, Sep-29-01 17:36

ooooh man, you guys have me soooo curious! karen do you have a formula for mixing sweeteners? i always just to it by the seat of my pants! never knowing for sure how it will turn out!

tamarian Sat, Sep-29-01 17:46

Quote:
Think I'll challenge you to a brownie bake-off! ;)

I know better than to accept your challange for competitive purposes. I'll accept it just so I can sample and judge for myself. hehe. My recipes, unlike yours, never make it beyond cloud number 5. :)

I'll post the recipe shortly, but the texture is superb, with 2 options, one for spongy texture, and one for dense brownie texture, all using the same ingredients, but different methods.

Quote:
I think I may have made the definitive Faux Carrot Cake today, but it has to sit and mellow overnight. Can't wait to see.

Ooohh, ahhhh, yes, yes, YES!!!!

Karen Sat, Sep-29-01 17:55

Quote:
ooooh man, you guys have me soooo curious! karen do you have a formula for mixing sweeteners?

debbie, I use half granular Splenda and half Sugar Twin with a little liquid Sugar Twin. I'm getting some NotSugar from Island Girl this week. Can't wait to see what it's like.

Tomorrow I'm fiddling with what I think may be the perfect pumpkin pie - at least my idea of perfect :eek: - just in time for Thanksgiving posting.

Wa'il, you may be a baking genius because of your unique approach. Look at your bread! I could never have thought that up in a thousand years 'cause I'm too set in my ways when it comes to baking. I always have to follow prescribed procedure.

I was thinking of opening a restaurant today and calling it The Pork Rind Palace. What do you think? LOL!

Karen

tamarian Sat, Sep-29-01 18:05

Quote:
[B]Wa'il, you may be a baking genius because of your unique approach.

I'm thinking more like a mad scientist. Test tube recipes ;)

Wa'il

Natrushka Sat, Sep-29-01 18:12

Quote:
I was thinking of opening a restaurant today and calling it The Pork Rind Palace. What do you think? LOL!

I think Yes and I want the Ottawa franchise.

Nat

Karen Sat, Sep-29-01 19:25

LOL! Too bad the Party Palace turned into a McDonalds. It would have been the perfect place!

Karen

debbiedobson Sun, Sep-30-01 01:55

karen, thanks for the info! i have notsugar. it's not sweet! that surprised me! it thickens things that are already sweet, like mashed raspberries w/as.