Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   cravings getting worse Need Help (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=168850)

krakerjak Mon, Feb-23-04 23:14

cravings getting worse Need Help

I am starting my second week of induction and my cravings are getting worse. I can't take it!!! I want chocolate and sweets soo badly. How do I fix this? are there any salty treats I can have. There has to be someting

missaec Mon, Feb-23-04 23:31

That happened to me the first time I did LCing. DON'T GIVE IN. I know it's hard but keep a list of everything you crave, then see if there are any low-carb options. Like, I get bad chocolate cravings around my TOM. I bought some low-carb chocolate and every craving I get I pop a LC piece of chocolate. (The kind I got has .2 net carbs per piece) It only takes a taste to get rid of your cravings. If you need any help coming up with food solutions, let me know and maybe I can help.

Rosebud Mon, Feb-23-04 23:44

I would recommend you try L-Glutamine. It made an amazing difference to my cravings - completely removed them.

Dr Atkins recommends 500 to 1000mg 3 times daily, ½ before meals. I took 500 3 times a day - that was enough to prevent those vicious cravings. :)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

hummelda Mon, Feb-23-04 23:47

I found that a bit of heavy cream, whipped with splenda on top of SF jello did the trick for me. I no longer have cravings so hope you get past them too! Good luck!

Ruralgurl Mon, Feb-23-04 23:50

Ditto the L-Glutamine!! Powdered form, disolves instantly in water, goes directly to the brain and curbs those cravings! Hang in there! Keep your calories up with FAT. Whipping Cream with a splenda is great!

MyaJorMom Tue, Feb-24-04 07:30

Hi Guys, What is L-Glutamine? Where can I buy some? I tend to have the same problems with cravings. Some days I am okay and others I CRAVE!

Paris Tue, Feb-24-04 07:39

Check all of your products for hidden sugars. I can be rollin' along and BAM! craving, usually because of a hidden sugar.

Also, artificial sweeteners may be a trigger as well - check your AS consumption and see it is high or you have cravings following consumption.

Good luck!

Fun5oh Tue, Feb-24-04 07:55

Where do you find the L-Glutamine in powdered form? I have tablets but am interested in something that works quicker. :)

bfritz_pa Tue, Feb-24-04 08:10

Roasted Salted Macadamia nuts.... Almost taste like cashews but expensive. 1 oz about 1.7G effective Carbs --- Total Carbs - minus Fiber

Sweet treat - SF Jello - I mix different flavors

I'm dying too but these help... My wife and niece who lives with us are chocaholics so I have too many SUGAR filled treats tempting me.

Grace Tue, Feb-24-04 08:43

You may also find if you are drinking coffee that it makes cravings worse - I do find that, so I only have an occassional cup of coffee.
As for L-glutamine my local health food shop does it and the make is Solgar.

krakerjak Tue, Feb-24-04 17:30

thanks for all the suggestions. During my first week i stuck to decaf but the headaches were unbearable and as a college student i NEED Caffeine!, so I put it back in. I wonder if half a scoop of decaf and 1/2 of caf would minimize my cravings. I guess I will try all of these suggestions to see what works. Thank you

Ruralgurl Tue, Feb-24-04 17:36

Yes I buy L-Glutamine at the health food store. You may have to ask for it. The last stuff I bought was made by Weider and they clain it is 99% pure. I bought this at Wal-mart 150g, I can't recall what I paid.

Solgar has excellent products as well, I have been looking for their Chromium for a few years though and I cannot find it here in BC.

I know everyone suggests SF Jello for a sweet treat, I am not really a big fan but I do buy the sugar free pudding and mix some with water and then mix that up with whipping cream, that does the trick for me. I also buy Oetker pudding and mix that with water or cream.

Fun5oh Tue, Feb-24-04 18:01

Hey KrakerJak! You DON"T need the caffiene, if you can set yourself a date, over the weekend when you don't have class, you can get through it. I work 3rd shift, so I know the feeling that you NEED the caffiene, just break your self of it, you will be suprised how you feel! I may be talking a little smack though, as I am a smoker, but I promise you, let go of the caffiene and you will feel so much better!!!!

Robin :)

krakerjak Tue, Feb-24-04 20:59

I tried to do without the coffee, I spent a whole week with migraines. I missed class or left class early cause I couldn't take it. The whole idea of avoiding coffee if I remember correctly is that studies have shown it slows down weight loss and induces cravings. While I do have cravings I find myself less hungy throughout the day when I have my caffeine (coffee!) in the morning. I really don't think I'm ready to give it up, plus how am I to stay awake at night to do homework :) If I am wrong about the studies and reasons behind avoiding caffeine can someone please please let me know. I hate to walk around with false information thank you

Ruralgurl Tue, Feb-24-04 22:50

Hi
I saw this tea in my local coffee shop and I thought of you here!
Yerba Mate' is a tea that has a similiar component as caffiene! Has all sorts of health benefits too. South Americans drink it like we drink coffee.
Here is another link with a few links too!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=79740