Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   joint pain? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33287)

jenthenerd Thu, Feb-07-02 23:25

joint pain?

Hello all,
I am new to this plan - just a couple of days - find myself fantasizing about sugar! :( which i'm sure is normal and will subside if I stick to it.

Has anyone had joint pain while in the induction period? I'm sure this has to be due to the flu or something not related - but thought it warranted asking.....
thanks

gwilson38 Fri, Feb-08-02 08:42

I can relate to "fantasizing" I had a dream last night I was at a buffet and headed straight to the "sweets table" and gorged myself there..lol It is common for many to be achy for awhile when starting low-carbing....your body getting rid of toxins. I was along with having a headache, tummy upset and being real grouchy...lol. Im sure it will pass. Are U taking many vitamins? Ones that may help is potassium, calcium-magnesium. Drinking lots of water?

agonycat Fri, Feb-08-02 08:45

Are you taking your vitamins and mineral supplements?

Gwilson is correct. Up the potassium, calcium-magnesium. They help with muscle cramps and joint aches ;) They also help you sleep sounder.

Natrushka Fri, Feb-08-02 08:54

Hi there Jen and welcome to the forum :)

Joint pain is something that usually clears up with LCing, you may just be experiencing some of the symptoms of detox a little more severely than most. There's convincing evidence that grains are responsible for all kinds of nasty problems and their removal from a diet improves existing conditions dramatically.

Often joint pain can be caused by dehydration - and as you're losing a lot of fluids when you start a LC WOE drinking enough water daily is vital. Be sure you're getting at least 64 oz a day, minimum.

Taking supplements, as has been advised, is also a good idea. You can read here about dosage and timing of potassium, calcium and magnesium. Be very sure when you take potassium that you are well hydrated.

Hope you're feeling better soon
Nat

Rosebud Fri, Feb-08-02 14:19

Hello, Jenthenerd,
Welcome to the forum!
Have you ever had joint pain before, ie do you get any sort of arthritis?
The suggestions given to you by Gwilson, Agonycat and Nat will almost certainly help.
If, however, you follow the suggestions about lots of water and supplements and you still have joint pain, there's a possibility you are sensitive to arichidonic acid. This is found in red meat and egg yolks and, if you are sensitive, suddenly eating lots of red meat and egg yolks can trigger joint pain.
I have had a worsening of my usual osteoarthritis since I began this WOE and when I searched the forum on "arthritis" I found a great post from Doreen.
She suggested adding the supplements the other guys but also included the following which is a quote from "Protein Power" by the Drs Eades.
I must stress, Jen, that this is an outside chance, you are much more likely to just be detoxing.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?

Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can’t do the Protein Power Plan halfway. You can’t increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you’ll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doreen also suggested:

Another thing you might consider is taking supplements of essential fatty acids, especially omega-3's ... fresh flax, borage or evening primrose oil. These have anti-inflammatory and prostaglandin-inhibiting effects, and may be beneficial for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever helps, Jen, I hope you're feeling better soon.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Natrushka Fri, Feb-08-02 14:39

Great find, Rosebud. I had forgotten that sensitivities to AA could present as joint aches/pains - one tends to think high BP and cholesterol.

Nat

jenthenerd Fri, Feb-08-02 22:20

thanks for the great tips!

hey, thanks to everyone for the great tips.
yes, arthritis does run in my family and i've had symptoms from time to time, and yes, i've been eating far more red meat and eggs than usual! i think its worth looking in to - its pretty uncomfortable. actually, today i went out and bought one of those newer joint and cartilage products (containing glucosamine and chondroitin) as well as my calcium, magnesium and potassium. plus i'm taking essential fatty acids and green tea extract. think i'm taking more pills than food. :)

gee, if i cut back on eggs and red meat, and eliminate my usual mainstays - starches and refined sugar - what's left? :daze:
one would have to lose weight at that point.....

i'm still committed though - on my fifth day and holding - no cheating yet.

agonycat Sat, Feb-09-02 08:05

Re: thanks for the great tips!

Quote:
Originally posted by jenthenerd

gee, if i cut back on eggs and red meat, and eliminate my usual mainstays - starches and refined sugar - what's left? :daze:

Want a long list? :D

There are lots and lots more choices after cutting those out ;) Be adventurious and try foods you haven't had before. You may find a new "to die for" favorite. I know I have!