Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   question on brands?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=45436)

xDESTINYx Thu, May-23-02 09:51

question on brands??

hi :)

can any1 give me suggestions of what brands of mayo to use plz.

thanx :wave:

toodlepip Thu, May-23-02 10:07

I think Hellmans is supposed to be okay.....but I use an organic lemon mayo from Tesco that has only a couple carb grams per jar.....

Boogie65 Thu, May-23-02 13:21

Mayo

Hi Destiny

I use Hellmans too at 1.3 per 100gms - so long as it's full fat and not the lite version you should be fairly OK but just check the label.

Toodlepip, the lemon mayo sounds scrummy :p is it Tesco's own brand?

Cheers :wave:

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk

LittleAnne Fri, May-24-02 03:19

Hellman's for me too. Must be doing their sales a lot of good. As others have said, read the labels, don't go for reduced fat ones - more carbs. Most mayo is around the same carb value, its a matter of taste in many ways.

tink Fri, May-24-02 08:10

I definately prefer Hellmans, I have tried several own brands but they don't seem to have the creaminess - I guess it is down to personal taste.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

toodlepip Fri, May-24-02 08:23

Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally posted by Boogie65
Hi Destiny

Toodlepip, the lemon mayo sounds scrummy :p is it Tesco's own brand?

No I don't think so....Tesco, in Ireland, has a very small organic section and it's in there......I'll check it when I'm at home and let you know the exact brand....

I don't use mayo much at all but I really like mixing it with crab and prawns for a seafood salad.....

fiona Fri, May-24-02 14:19

LC Sugarfree HomeMade is best

Almost all of the shop brands have some degree of sugar in them. Hellman's Real is one I buy sometimes.

If you want sugar-free it is very easy to make some at home. Check out Karen's cumin mayo recipe. There are several variations of it posted by other members if you would care to do a search for it.

Take care.

xDESTINYx Fri, May-24-02 20:27

Thanx 4 the feed back guys :roll:

Fiona thats a gr8 idea........im off 2 do a search now!!

cheers every1 :wave:

Banana Fri, May-31-02 07:42

Lidl's Mayonnaise

Hi guys,

If you have a Lidl near you, then they have a new packaged mayo out which is even lower than Hellman's, brand name Vita D'or.

per 100g =

727kc
0.93g carb
0.57g protein
80g fat

I haven't opened the jar yet, so I don't know what it tastes like. But their other one was OK so this should be, and it's a LOT cheaper than Hellman's.

Bye
Banana :wave:

fiona Sat, Jun-01-02 12:09

Thanks Banana

That's a good post Banana - must check it out next time I go to Lidl. They are very good value for most things.

I copied your post in the UK Supermarkets thread so that it always stays easily available.

Take care.