Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Coffee and Tea on induction - Milk or cream. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=78054)

PCFella Fri, Jan-03-03 17:27

Coffee and Tea on induction - Milk or cream.

Hi everyone, I am just a couple of days in to LC'ing and am doing the Atkins induction right now.
The problem is that I am a coffee and tea adict, I have switched to decaf but I am sorry, have you seen what happens when you put Soya Milk in to a hot cup of coffee?
Am I supposed to be using single cream (toooo creamy), Full Fat milk or semi-skimmed? Or am I limited to black drinks on induction?
Thanks for any advice.

tofi Fri, Jan-03-03 19:36

if you MUST have coffee (even decaff) or tea, then the creamier the better.
I used to think that ONLY 2% milk would do for tea. But I gradually switched to higher butter fat count and now I only have "whipping cream" in my tea & decaff. (I am a tea needer. I once managed 2 weeks without tea, but that was it because I didn't lose any better without it.)

Whipping cream = 35% cream = heavy cream = pumpkin pie topping
Try to find one from a dairy that doesn't add glucose or some other form of sugar. I could hardly believe that they ADD stuff to cream! Why can't it just be CREAM? she cried plaintively. :)

Anyway, the higher the fat count the better. So coffee cream, 10% cream - anything higher than "light cream" is good.

Milk is very high in natural sugars which is why we try to avoid it on Induction and later in doing Atkins. :wave:

jedigddss Fri, Jan-03-03 19:38

Hello PCFella :wave:
Ideally, of course, you know that you arent supposed to have coffee on induction and it sounds like you are drinking decaf :thup: (you are better than me, I admittedly couldnt give the coffee up) but, the ideal for coffee is actual heavy cream. We are not supposed to be having any milk or skim milk type products at all on Atkins.

I hope this answers your question.
Best of luck in your new way of eating.

PCFella Sat, Jan-04-03 05:28

Thanks for that guys, I usually have semi-skimmed (no), I have tried Single Cream and found that too creamy but I will try some whipping cream today and see how I go.
I must admit that as far as coffee goes I am more of a glutten than a connoisseur, I may even try black (eugh!)
Must admit, feeling a bit low on energy today, but might just be coming down with a bit of a cold.

jedigddss Sat, Jan-04-03 09:18

I didnt get that "lots of energy feeling" until after induction. That IS just me, and eveyone is different, but I sure expected to feel great when I started induction, and I sure didnt! Hope you stick with it, and I am wishing you much sucess :wave:

bob Sat, Jan-04-03 13:40

Hey there jedigddss, :wave:
How are you?
I've been trying to keep my coffee intake down too. Thats been the hardest part for me lately...and now that I'm using heavy whipping cream it's sooo delicious, it's even harder! Hanging it there pretty good otherwise tho! :D

skywind Sat, Jan-04-03 14:50

Another opinion--I use half and half in my coffee--it has less than half the calories of heavy cream and only one more carb. I found that the extra calories caused me more problems than the one extra carb.

YMMV

Skywind

PCFella Sat, Jan-04-03 17:06

What do you call 'a lot of coffee'?

I drink around 10 cups a day, not healthy I guess.

I think if nothing else the switch to decaf will be having a big effect on my system.

Headaches all day, thankfully gone in the evening.

I got weighed today and I have lot 2 pounds since 2nd Jan - maybe just the natural sway of the scales!!!

PCFella Tue, Jan-07-03 17:16

Got Whipping Cream and - Oh my God, what the hell have I been missing all my life. No way I can give up the coffee now though, although I reckon I will stick to decaf after induction.
I reckon my headaches are from lack of regular coffee and if withdrawal from it can cause these headaches then it can't be a good thing to go back to it.
One problem though - The whipping cream I found has the following Nutritional Info: (per 100ml)

Energy 371 Calories
Protein 1.9g
Carbs 3.0g
of Which sugars 3.0g
Fat 39g
of which saturates 24g
Fibre 0
Sodium Trace

Is this OK? I was worried about the Carb of which sugars content.

Have I bought the wrong brand here?

freydis Wed, Jan-08-03 11:12

Quote:
Originally posted by PCFella
The whipping cream I found has the following Nutritional Info: (per 100ml)

Energy 371 Calories
Protein 1.9g
Carbs 3.0g
of Which sugars 3.0g
Fat 39g
of which saturates 24g
Fibre 0
Sodium Trace

Is this OK? I was worried about the Carb of which sugars content.

I think you're ok as long as you count the carbs. 100 ml is quite a bit.

Vio Fri, Jan-10-03 12:56

Does anyone know it flavored DECAF is ok to drink? The products I have seen do not list nutrition values on the packages.
Thanks--Vio