Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ben & Jerry's Carb Karma - yuck! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173579)

kyrasdad Thu, Mar-18-04 16:30

Ben & Jerry's Carb Karma - yuck!

BLECH

I am a huge Ben & Jerry's fan, and think their regular ice cream is about the best commercially available you can get. Chunky Monkey is a dream, and so is Kitchen Sink.

I've now tried two different varieties of their Carb Karma products, and I have to be honest: It's the worst low carb ice cream I've ever tasted. The Vanilla Swiss Almond was hideous. The Half Baked was just a little better. For whatever reason, both have a sharp aftertaste. I haven't tried the chocolate.

I'd still go with Bryer's, or if you're in an area that has it, Braum's low carb ice creams. I was really hoping for something special from them, but this stuff seems like something rushed into production to capitalize on the market more than it does the awesome regular ice creams they make.

4beans4me Thu, Mar-18-04 16:39

Thanks for the heads up. :thup:

ian559 Thu, Mar-18-04 20:20

they were very bitter too.

fendel Thu, Mar-18-04 21:55

I didn't notice a bitter taste, but I thought they were bland. The fat content is unnecessarily lower than their regular ice creams, and the sodium content is about half of what's in their regular ice cream. A little more salt would bring out the flavors. This sounds weird, I know, but I found the stuff wasn't bad if I salted it lightly.

ian559 Fri, Mar-19-04 06:37

There are too many good low carb ice creams out there for me to have to "salt" one. I will not eat the ben and jerrys again. Here in cincinnati we have about 10 differant brands to choose from now. Homade Brand ice cream from united dairy farmers is the best so far.

MadCabbit Fri, Mar-19-04 12:40

I must agree. It tasted bland to me and watered down as well. I will stick with Atkins PB chocolate.

BlitzedAng Fri, Mar-19-04 13:57

carb solution has the BEST chocolate peanut butter ice cream.....Man oh man.

orchidday Fri, Mar-19-04 14:12

I am a real ice cream freak and I just think it is unforgiveable that they would mess with good icecream.... Some things just weren't meant to be low-carb. Is nothing sacred?

fendel Fri, Mar-19-04 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidday
Some things just weren't meant to be low-carb. Is nothing sacred?

I dunno... I've made some pretty amazing homemade low-carb ice cream, just as good as the real stuff. I think the problem with the Ben and Jerry's isn't that it's low-carb, it's that it's reduced-fat (somewhat) and low-sodium.

Anyone had Kemp's "Carb Promise" (I think that's what their LC stuff is called) chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream? I'm wondering if it's any better or worse than Carb Solutions. The picture I saw looked like a darker chocolate than the picture on the Carb Solutions container. Haven't tried either yet.

centikel Sat, Mar-20-04 12:47

Well, it just goes to show you that making something low carb is more than just reducing the carbs. Hopefully ben and Gerry's finds the right person to get their icecream on track. If the fat is lower, then someone there really doesn't understand lc. I would totally love to have Chunky Monkey again!

Nancy LC Sun, Mar-21-04 20:51

Replacing sugar in most ice creams is probably the easiest ingredient to replace. Its when they muck around with the fat that they screw it up.

Petalz Sun, Mar-21-04 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendel
I didn't notice a bitter taste, but I thought they were bland. The fat content is unnecessarily lower than their regular ice creams, and the sodium content is about half of what's in their regular ice cream. A little more salt would bring out the flavors. This sounds weird, I know, but I found the stuff wasn't bad if I salted it lightly.

Thanks for that advice.. it saved me from tossing it!
But I won't buy it again.

Rosie Real Tue, Apr-13-04 20:08

I just got the chocolate flavor Carb Karma today and love it. It tastes just like a fudgesicle!
Maybe so long without legal treats has warped my sense of what's good, but I think it's as good as Carb Smart chocolate. :)

filmlass23 Wed, Apr-14-04 10:14

The Ben & Jerry's No Sugar Added Strawberry Ice Cream is ADDICTIVE! Tastes just like their REAL Strawberry Ice Cream! :)

littlelove Thu, Apr-15-04 12:20

SLENDER ice cream

I've recently tried SLENDER ice cream, made with splenda. I had the Moose Tracks one, which i thought was surprisingly really good. I am a HUGE Moose Tracks fan, and this was not too far off from the original. It has 4 or 5 carbs per serving, which is not bad, if you can control your portion. The only place I have found it at is Krogers. Has anyone else tried it?? :q: