Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ? on SF jello (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=61752)

sroo2 Wed, Sep-18-02 14:03

? on SF jello

Looks like many, if not most people here have SF jello as a dessert or snack. I've seen that it's pretty much a 'free' food.

The question is, does it have carbs? If it says 10 calories per serving, 4 servings per box, and I eat the box, (well, ok, not the box itself, but the jello I prepare from what's IN the box...) am I having a bunch of carbs? If not, where are the calories coming from?

I haven't ever entered it in fitday when I eat jello because I just don't know what to do with it.

I've been losing weight all along (very slowly or not at all in the past week but I'm not giving up...) and I've been eating jello at least 2-3x/wk since I started.

wbahn Wed, Sep-18-02 14:44

The main answer to your question is contained in the last line of your post. One of Murphy's Laws of Combat applies here - "If it's stupid but works, it ain't stupid."

To answer the earlier question - the calories come from protein and fat. There is about 1.5g of protein and about 0.5g of fat in each serving of most sf jellos. Becaus of rounding, only the 1g of protein usually shows up on the label.

Some people have no problem with sf jello (and other sf products) and others have significant problems. So it's very much a YMMV issue. Atkins recommends avoiding aspartame not because of carb or insulin response issues but because of other health concerns about it. But I'm not at all convinced that these fears are at all justified - the jury is still very much out on that one. Most sf gelletins use aspartame (Nutri-sweet) but some - such as Jully Ranchers - use sucrulose. Since the only flavor (other than chocolate) that I really like is cherry I'm pretty much limited to Jello brand.

Word of caution - watch out for the sugar free chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch or other creamy puddings. They have significant carbs in them.

sroo2 Wed, Sep-18-02 15:17

AH! Thanks for clearning that up for me. I'll keep eating it! :D

wbahn Wed, Sep-18-02 15:24

If you don't start losing again within three or four weeks - and you probably will - then you might cut out the sf jello for a couple of weeks.

dekdahl Tue, Sep-28-04 13:59

I have sf jello every night. (no cream) I get 5 servings from a box - not 8. I have wondered - as of late, if it's hurting me. I seem to be stuck. I go up 1.5 - down 1.5, etc. I like Jolly Ranchers but can only eat 2 or 3 or suffer. I seem to only be able to eat 1/2 an endulge bar or gain. I have the Endulge after lunch and jello at night. This week I am cutting out the Endulge and Jolly's to see what happens. I hate the idea of giving up my jello tho!

Moonwalker Wed, Sep-29-04 03:10

No its not acceptable for this way of eating. It has aspartame in it, which stalls many people and isnt recomended by Dr. Atkins. The aspartame will cause stalls.

angeljandy Wed, Sep-29-04 07:11

It definitely stalled me, I had been including it and here I am...Stuck!

LadyBelle Wed, Sep-29-04 07:53

I make my own to avoid asperteme and the malodextrin.

I just use 1 package knox, 1 cup fruit flavored DaVincci, and 1 cup boiling water.

If you don't mind malodextrin you can skip the DaVincci and use flavored koolaid (unsweetened not sugar free)

potatofree Wed, Sep-29-04 08:17

I think the finger of blame gets pointed in the wrong direction sometimes. Weight loss stops and starts for many reasons, or often NO reason at all. I'm interested in how many people can PROVE it's the jello and not one of the 50 other foods you're eating?

byebye30 Wed, Sep-29-04 09:41

I eat it on a regular basis and continue to lose. Eat and enjoy!

~Lisa~

Moonwalker Thu, Sep-30-04 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I think the finger of blame gets pointed in the wrong direction sometimes. Weight loss stops and starts for many reasons, or often NO reason at all. I'm interested in how many people can PROVE it's the jello and not one of the 50 other foods you're eating?

Well when you are losing fine and then you start eating the jello (nothing else new) that pretty much sums it up right there. Also, have you read any of Dr. Atkins books? He says aspartame caused stalls in a large % of his patients.

dekdahl Thu, Sep-30-04 07:12

Live in a lab?

Quote:

I agree. You would almost have to live in a controlled environment to know these kinds of things - wouldn't you? If your stress varies or the amount of water you drinlk- the way your body does or does not absorb your supplements. There are so many variables to hinder or help weight loss. Thanks!

potatofree Thu, Sep-30-04 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
Well when you are losing fine and then you start eating the jello (nothing else new) that pretty much sums it up right there. Also, have you read any of Dr. Atkins books? He says aspartame caused stalls in a large % of his patients.

If I'm losing just fine, but I stop losing a couple days after I start getting out of bed on the other side, and thats the only thing I do differently, does it mean that getting out of bed on the left causes stalls?? My weight loss stops and starts for reasons known only to my buttcheeks. There are surely a small percentage of people who are sensitive to aspartame or ANY sweetener, but IMO not enough studies have been done to PROVE a causal relationship.

Moonwalker Thu, Sep-30-04 11:53

Quote:
If I'm losing just fine, but I stop losing a couple days after I start getting out of bed on the other side, and thats the only thing I do differently, does it mean that getting out of bed on the left causes stalls?? My weight loss stops and starts for reasons known only to my buttcheeks. There are surely a small percentage of people who are sensitive to aspartame or ANY sweetener, but IMO not enough studies have been done to PROVE a causal relationship.

and how many times has that happened? Ive heard from dozens of people that their loss stops when eating aspertame sweetened foods, as it did for me. Stopped eating it and the weight loss resumed, period. And as i stated before, Dr. Atkins even says it in his books.

Nancy LC Thu, Sep-30-04 12:29

My weight loss stalls when I eat too many calories.

I stopped eating SF jello because gelatin makes me kind of nauseous.