Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Atkins Debate on GMTV tomorrow morning (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130274)

Demi Wed, Aug-13-03 11:26

Atkins Debate on GMTV tomorrow morning

Have just heard on TV that the Atkins diet is to be debated on GMTV tomorrow morning.

Thought it was a good idea to flag it here, so that everyone knows to look out for it :)

pepsi max Wed, Aug-13-03 11:45

theres just been a report about atkins on bbc1.my mother has just phoned to tell me i,m going to get serious kidney disease.grrrrrrrr.when is this going to end.

kellyuk Wed, Aug-13-03 11:47

And on ITV a couple of mins ago :(

Demi Wed, Aug-13-03 11:48

Here's what they have just had to say on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3144409.stm

kellyuk Wed, Aug-13-03 11:56

Oh, how suprising, just went along to the GMTV website to see if there was a feedback form for the Atkins plan, and look who is the PAYING sponsor on the page

WEIGHT WATCHERS

pepsi max Wed, Aug-13-03 12:26

well, if ww are the sponsers we know what that report will be like,don,t we.
think i,ll disable the phone in the morning so mam can,t tell me what i,m going to die with tomorrow.

kellyuk Wed, Aug-13-03 12:44

The fact that they are being paid for every click on the ad that they generate is what really annoys me, if it was a general paid ad it would be bad enough but a pay-per-click ad is winding me right up.

Ebbie.B Wed, Aug-13-03 13:03

Revenge is sweet
Perhaps we all should go and click on the Ad several times, (i could sit here for hours doing that) and make an even bigger dent in weight watchers profits hehe:D

lburnikell Wed, Aug-13-03 13:31

weight watchers huh the only pounds I lost with with them where the cash kind!! I just laugh now when I see or hear an anti atkins report cause it is complete and utter bull s#*t they havent even bothered to reserch it correctly, as far as I am conserned we all know the truth, and when things start going wrong with their bodies throught the abuse of carbs, who will have egg on their face then!!

SylviaUK Wed, Aug-13-03 15:50

I have read so much crap about low carb/Atkins in the UK media over the last few months that I'm really tempted to stand up and shout:

"hey you dozy idiots, come and hear the real facts from the horse's mouth :) I'll tell you how eating natural, unrefined food is so much better for you that eating the refined mush that the food manufacturers think is the key to providing what the eager masses desire. And if you don't believe me, that's your problem - if you want to go on eating traditional fish 'n' chips that's up to you :) Just don't blame me when you put on weight and feel like a bloated octopus ;)"

IPR Wed, Aug-13-03 22:23

I'm a Brit living abroad, but still manage to get a ear full from my Mum & sister about how bad low-carbing.

This sentence made me laugh though

She added: "We simply do not know the long-term health implications, and it's such a profound change from what we're doing at the moment.

Pseudo science seems to be her basis of slamming LC. Low-carbing has been around since 1863 much longer than the recent food pyramids and high carb diets, and of course what is done now is owrking so well :rolleyes:

kellyuk Thu, Aug-14-03 01:01

I've e-mailed them, let's see if they incorporate any of the info into the item

pepsi max Thu, Aug-14-03 01:16

gmtv is asking for ems to them about the atkins diet and successes.get typing folks.

JamieDoyle Thu, Aug-14-03 01:18

The metro newspaper (a london freebie produced by the Standard and the mail and therefore well in with weight watchers) printed a letter today from an Atkins follower in it they corrected they myth that induction IS the WOE ! And pointed out the other phases. So I guess fair play to them for printing it, but I bet it doesn't appear in the mail !

kellyuk Thu, Aug-14-03 01:23

Damn it - they started off giving off good info about Atkins, then went down to slating it and cutting off, just e-mailed them again