Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   wasa crackers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=388135)

Karkel Sat, Jan-03-09 19:07

wasa crackers

Are these the crackers that are suppose to be low carb and allowed ? I think last time I was on Atkins I had these.

dearmommy Sat, Jan-03-09 20:46

I know I can't eat them as they are a trigger food for me however my kids when they are lowcarbing can have several a day and still manage to lose.

Edited to add: some are carby that others. I have only found one that is 5carbs each after fiber is taken off. Can't recall which one though

jschwab Sat, Jan-03-09 21:54

I think the way I remember it is Atkins himself would eat Wasa crackers VERY rarely when he really needed that crunchy fix. I don't ever remember it being recommended as a standard part of the diet. But your body may be able to handle it.

Judynyc Sun, Jan-04-09 16:09

Wasas would not be an induction friendly food. But as you get into OWL phase and get to the grain rung, you can try to add them in at that time.

They use the whole grain and come in rye, which is the one I eat simply because I avoid wheat in general. I eat them daily, 1-2 is my max per day. When I look for weight loss, they are the first thing to get knocked out.

GG bran crispbread is another good and very low carb cracker. :idea:

Marcia Mae Sun, Jan-04-09 16:30

I eat those GG crispbreads occasionally, had quite a few over new years with cheese and sausage tray. They are very hearty crackers. I think they are about 2 carbs per cracker, but the cracker is pretty big. I usually split it into thirds, so actually it's like 2 carbs per 3 normal size crackers. As long as I eat these loaded with cheese and sausage, they are pretty filling, each cracker has 5 grams fiber, I believe. I know they recalculated the nutrition content on Netrition.com. OK for someone in OWL, induction friendly?..no.

jschwab Sun, Jan-04-09 19:20

And just keep in mind that Atkins said most people will never get to eat grains again.

Aeryn Mon, Jan-05-09 01:15

Also keep in mind that if you stay away from grain entirely while losing, you may find you don't WANT to add it back in as a regular staple.

I say this as someone who ate some pizza tonight -- the only grain I've eaten in the last six weeks, and probably for the next six weeks to come. I just don't miss it, usually! But man, had you told me two years ago that I'd be saying such things, I would've called you nuts.

I guess my point is, have faith in the plan! Follow it to a T and see what happens before you start deviating. :)

LessLiz Mon, Jan-05-09 11:23

And if you do choose to eat GG Crispbread, be aware that the carb count on them is *net carbs* -- the fiber is already subtracted from the carb count (it's a European style label).

lizzysmom Mon, Jan-05-09 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Wasas would not be an induction friendly food. But as you get into OWL phase and get to the grain rung, you can try to add them in at that time.

FYI - Wasa high fiber flat bread is listed a few times on the Atkins website under the two-week induction meal plan. I too can't eat these until I am out of induction and in more control and then only occassionally.

Judynyc Mon, Jan-05-09 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzysmom
FYI - Wasa high fiber flat bread is listed a few times on the Atkins website under the two-week induction meal plan. I too can't eat these until I am out of induction and in more control and then only occassionally.

Well .....thats surely new!! :lol:

Even SBD does not allow any grain product :nono: in phase I aka induction.

LessLiz Mon, Jan-05-09 17:27

Atkins website is *not* the same as the Atkins diets written by Dr. Atkins. Most of us here recommend the books, any of his books, over that website. It's about selling Atkins Nutritionals Frankenfoods.

Karkel Tue, Jan-06-09 04:53

Ok what's GG crackers ? Where do you get ?

dawnyama Wed, Jan-14-09 08:48

I love Wasa crackers topped with sliced cheese and tunafish. However, not in Atkins' induction--they are not allowed in induction. But for OWL as long as you count the carbs it should be OK as long as you count the carbs. I just have one cracker as a serving and if I want more food for lunch I just eat more tuna with no cracker. My DD who is 7 just loves these too!! Her favorite after school snack and she can have 2 if she wants!