Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Applebee's Hot Wings (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=168841)

SexyMasala Mon, Feb-23-04 21:04

Applebee's Hot Wings

Does anyone have a guess if these are high-carb? I'm thinking they should be zero or low, but just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks

Moonwalker Mon, Feb-23-04 21:18

as long as they dont bread them (and im pretty sure they dont) they are extremely low carb. Just make sure and ask if they put in sugar in the sauce like some places do, Applebee's doesnt taste like it though from what i remember. So they should be okay.

Bosco2004 Tue, Feb-24-04 03:12

I would think they are OK as well. No breading.

Applebee's is the worst when it comes to provinding any nutritional info.

LadyBelle Tue, Feb-24-04 10:11

The boneless wings are breaded, but the regular ones aren't. The mild ones are typically lower carb then hot ones because the added peppers in the hot sauce add a little. I'd still say they are a safe bet though to order.

leslew5 Tue, Feb-24-04 10:28

Order those wings and eat those celery sticks YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heatherbee Tue, Feb-24-04 13:24

I called Applebees and asked the Manager to tell me exactly how the wings were prepared when I started this WOL. The wings are deep fried and tossed in a red hot sauce. When I asked for the nutritional information, the Manager kindly grabbed a bottle of hot sauce and read me the ingredients. I don't remember everything that was in it, but I do remember there was vinegar, tabasco, seasonings and in total there were two net carbs/serving. So, eat-up! They're safe.

BTW - I now make a habbit of asking how resteraunts prepare their food and if there are any sugars, flours, etc. in their food. If the waiter doesn't know, I ask them to check with the chefs. I went to lunch in Carmel last weekend and when I asked what was in the salad and salad dressing, the waiter asked the chefs and then brought the recipe binder out and read me all of the ingredients and everything in the dressing was legal. Knowing what I was eating made that wonderful salad even more delish. I say, when in doubt, ask!

Alopex Tue, Feb-24-04 14:07

I always thought the milder ones had MORE carbs because they tasted sweeter--I assumed that was sugar and/or filler in the sauce. DH and I get medium most of the time for that reason.

Bosco2004 Wed, Feb-25-04 00:03

Had an order of 10 for lunch today... I went hot and they were pretty darned good. A bit expensive ~ 7.99. Happy hour they go to $2.99 for the same 10!

missaec Wed, Feb-25-04 01:54

I've never had a problem with wings, though i don't really trust Applebee's. Maybe try somewhere else?

NOGAINHERE Wed, Feb-25-04 08:19

Milder do have more - sweeter sauce - usually.

lissy007 Wed, Feb-25-04 08:41

Just be careful about the breading. We were told that some Applebees do put breading on their wings and some do not. We always just ask if they're breaded first.

Melissa

slimryan Wed, Feb-25-04 11:56

I am a fry cook at an applebees and I know for a fact the wings are LC. They are not breaded, just deep-fried. The mild and hot sauces are LC.

heatherbee Wed, Feb-25-04 12:30

Thanks slimryan! I love those wings and the steakhouse salad!

NOGAINHERE Wed, Feb-25-04 14:02

yeah, we like AB but don't have one in town any longer :( the kids like it three