Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins Advantage bars (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187567)

momof4boys Fri, May-28-04 10:01

Atkins Advantage bars

I was wondering how you add the carbs on these, normally I count all carbs, I don't subtract fiber, so would you say I should with these since there is soo much fiber in them.it says 21g of carbs but 10g fiber. on the outside of the package it says 2gnet carbs what does that actually mean, subtracting fiber would make it 11g, so where do they come up with the 2g net carbs. I don't understand this, that's why I normally just add all carbs, but if that's the case I get NO veggies today.
Tammy

MyJourney Fri, May-28-04 10:09

9g of glycerine.

I subtract the carbs for the advantage bars.

I only count carbs for sugar alcohols. I have no problems deducting fiber or glycerine.

runnr Fri, May-28-04 10:42

They subtract sugar alcohols which is contreversial. Sugar alcohols are supposed to act as a laxative, so the idea is that they pow right through your system. But many people react to them the same way as regular sugars

A lot of people here only subtract fiber to get to net carbs, meaning they would consider an Advantage Bar 11g as you calculated

MyJourney Fri, May-28-04 10:44

Advantage bars dont have sugar alcohols. Only glycerine.

JessieBlue Sat, May-29-04 11:13

OK, I have a question to add...
Iit says they are suitable for induction, yet I have read here they are not..

Opinions please?

I usually have one in the backpack in case I get hungry through class..(all they have there are junk food machines)

tofi Sat, May-29-04 11:28

This page http://www.netrition.com/cgi/articl...=7&article_id=4 says that "glycerine is a tri-hydric alcohol". There is other information for you to consider in the article.

Ladycody Sat, May-29-04 13:07

I think the biggest problem with the bars during induction (and I mean the first 2 weeks...not a continued induction program) is that those 2 weeks are designed to eliminate cravings. While it might not impact you physically...you should take the mental break from those foods too.

For instance...if someone is trying to quit smoking...they should avoid being near other smokers and will attempt to avoid thinking about it. Seeing someone smoke a cigarette (even when the smoke doesnt reach you)..can trigger a mental reminder to your body about what it's missing. Once you've established yourself and have officially quit...you can re-enter a bar scene or be around a smoker with the will to stick to your guns(Kinda a weird analogy...but you get what I'm saying)

Once you've gotten past the initial withdrawel stage for sugar products... it's not as dangerous for you to try the alternative products. You will have established to your body exactly who's in charge and an occassional low-carb treat shouldnt hinder your ability to follow the plan.

At least that's how I view it...it's simply to help you break the physical
AND emotional addictions to food that we all develop.

momof4boys Sat, May-29-04 13:12

Ladycody,
I agree 100%. I could never have eated those when just starting. but I wouldn't have eaten it if I felt that I wasn't in control. I am totaly in control I have quite a few more bars in the kitchen and I am only eating them once a week as a reward, for being cheat free for the week, if I cheat (I won't) then I won't get one.
Tammy

BoogieBlue Sat, May-29-04 13:45

Advantage Bars

ok here is my deal on these things....I believe the 2 net carb thing is true...I ate probably 30-40 of these things thru the first month...staying at around 20-25 carbs a day...counting them as 2 carbs...did they hurt my induction...I dont think so...I lost 42lbs in the first month while eating them...stalled for about a week and a half (think my body was catching up) than this week lost another 5 lbs....
Now here is the bad part of them for me....Somewhere along the line I went from eating them as a meal replacement to eating them as a sweet treat replacement...I would eat a meal than within 30 min would have an advantage bar...even tho I wasnt realy hungry...the old have to have something sweet after a meal that has plauged me all my life....Are these bars bad for you on induction...Yes and No....I have been in Ketosis from day 3 and not kicked out of it and lost weight the whole time...so I believe the 2 net carb thing to be true...So if you need a sweet fix these are probably a better option than a lot of other things...The bad part is that you still keep the cravings for sweets...but on that I do have to state going into week 7 of this I find myself wanting these bars and sweets a whole lot less...I only have a few left and probably will not buy anymore for awhile and dont realy think I will miss them...So in my case they got me thru induction...slowed down the process of losing my cravings but in the long run the less of two evils...Big John

Carina8 Sat, May-29-04 13:56

I eat them as meal replacement on super busy days... I try not to eat them unless I need to. (eg. Advantage bar vs. vending machine becaues i'm hungry and that is all there is).

I did eat them as a snack in my 1st 3 days of induction because it was that or cheat w/ a twix or some other yummy candy at the desk next to mine at work. It was how I weaned my self off the candy drawer.

They havn't seemed to hurt me and I've counted them as 2 carbs.

Carina

Marieshops Sat, May-29-04 14:47

I eat the Advantage bars on a regular basis with no problem counting them as 2 carbs. Like you mentioned, I especially like the high amount of fiber they contain - very helpful :D I did not use them during induction so I can't really speak from personal experience on that. Best is whatever works for you and remember that everyone is different. Good luck.

Marie

pecan Sun, May-30-04 04:11

i've eaten these bars for three years (we're talking back when the bars truly tasted bad and didn't contain fiber lol), and i can honestly say, there is a BIG difference between these and the bars with sugar alcohols. these do not impact the blood sugar in the same way. i feel much safer eating an advantage bar than the slim-fast lc bars.

shipto Sun, May-30-04 04:54

tried a carb minder lemony yoghurt type bar yesterday and was not impressed I wont be buying them again. It didnt really taste that bad but for the price its just not worth it.

PilotGal Sun, May-30-04 06:05

advantage bars

i still haven't figured out how anyone can eat those things... waste of money, waste of desire, waste of carbs.

GREYTSCOT Sun, May-30-04 08:13

Very informative article from Netrition.com, Tofi. Thanks for the link.