Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What's Going On!! Now Flax Is BAD???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=36074)

BCBabe Mon, Mar-04-02 16:49

What's Going On!! Now Flax Is BAD????

Holy Crap. I can't believe my eyes. I picked up the paperback of Protein Power today and I'm all jazzed to read it (the bs I went through to get it is another story!) so, I sit down with a nice hot decaf tea, open it up and BAAAM...flax oil = no good. :eek:
I can't believe my eyes! I'm finally getting it down! :( :mad: :( Will some educated soul out there please tell me what the deal is?? Under the heading on pg.343, " Alpha Linolenic Acid(ALA):All Oils Are Not Created Equal" there is a bunch of words telling me that by consuming flax oil I am not doing my body a favor. :(
Anyone familiar with the Protein Power plan that can offer me any answers?Please,please, please... :spin:

:sunny: SS!!

lesleyc Mon, Mar-04-02 16:53

yes please! I read the same thing - having recently read the book. Totally confusing.

Enlighten us please!

Lesley

doreen T Mon, Mar-04-02 17:09

The good Drs Eades recanted their statements in Protein Power Lifeplan, which they published in 2000. Here's what they have to say about flax oil, from their FAQ's webpage
Quote:
I have heard that flaxseed oil is a good source of Omega-3 oils. What are your recommendations?

Since writing the Protein Power book, we have changed our viewpoint on Omega-3 oils. We do recommend using flax oil and fish oils, which contains high amounts of Omega-3 oils. Omega-3 fatty acids are a family of particularly long-chained polyunsaturated fats that share a unique chemical structure. These fats are incorporated into numerous cells of the body and form potent hormone-like structures called eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are believed to play a significant role in boosting the immune response and reducing risk from atherosclerosis, cancer, inflammatory conditions and allergic reactions. The adult daily recommendation for omega-3 fatty acids is estimated to be 300-400 mg per day.
Doreen

Natrushka Mon, Mar-04-02 17:11

You guys wouldnt believe what I found when I did a search on this site for "Flax AND oil"

Nat

lesleyc Mon, Mar-04-02 17:16

touche Nat! :D

doreen T Mon, Mar-04-02 17:51

LOL!!

See the things I miss when I go away for a few days. :o

Doreen

BCBabe Mon, Mar-04-02 18:26

Thanks for the helpful hint to those of us who are not so computer savy, Nat. I appreciate the direction.

:sunny:SS!!

Natrushka Mon, Mar-04-02 18:57

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
See the things I miss when I go away for a few days. :o

Do, you're the thing we miss when you go away for a few days (and of course by 'thing' I mean 'effervescent-one-who-is-the purveyor-of-great-wisdom') :D

Nat

shawj11 Mon, Mar-04-02 19:01

flaxseed oil

Ok...i am new to this...i am on atkins..induction. i had bought flax seed oil a while back to put in my protein shakes. it was my impression that it helped with fat loss and helped to increase metabolism. is that correct?

thanks for the info

:wave:

BCBabe Mon, Mar-04-02 19:05

Apparently it is, shawj11. This is all one big, fat, false alarm!! The Protein Power veterans have informed us of the truth. Keep on keepin' on!! :roll:

:sunny: SS!!

shawj11 Mon, Mar-04-02 19:26

re flaxseed oil

Thanks for your response :)
I'll tell you what...i am looking forward to the days when i can enjoy my protein shakes again..im not craving any bad/horrible foods..just my protein shakes and bars. :p

doreen T Mon, Mar-04-02 20:01

hi shawj11,

Specifically ... flax oil is especially rich in linoleic acid, an Omega-3 fatty acid. Linoleic acid inhibits certain prostaglandins which interfere with fat-burning. It's the prostaglandin-inhibiting effect which also makes flax oil useful for treating inflammatory conditions like arthritis, psoriaisis and other conditions.

It's good stuff :thup:

Doreen

shawj11 Tue, Mar-05-02 03:48

flaxseed oil

Wow! Looks like I will be taking the ol' flaxseed oil out of hibernation! Thanks soo much for the info. This place is a Godsend!

:D