Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Does anyone know???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=70855)

4got Fri, Nov-15-02 13:14

Does anyone know????

Is soy flour and soy protein isolate the same thing??? There's a recipe I want to make and I don't know the difference. I can find soy protein isolate in vanilla and chocolate, but not plain.. Dianne

penelope Fri, Nov-15-02 13:55

Hi Dianne!
No they are not the same.
Try to phone around to different Health food store maybe you will be lucky.

tofi Fri, Nov-15-02 20:07

Soy protein isolate has virtually no carbs, but soy flour is quite carby. Be sure which one you get - read labels & ask questions.

:wave:

Karen Fri, Nov-15-02 22:22

The Scoop on Soy Products

Quote:
Try to phone around to different Health food store maybe you will be lucky.

That's where I get mine and it's kept in the baking, not the supplement section.

Here's a bit of soy information...

Soy ingredients - soy flour, soy protein concentrate and isolated soy protein -- that go into soyfoods all contain soy protein. Soy protein is always made from soy flakes.

Soy flour, which is 50% protein (based on dry weight), is ground from soy flakes to the desired particle size, smooth or coarse.
Soy protein concentrate, which is 70% protein(based on dry weight), is made by processing soy flakes to remove some of the sugar that naturally occurs in soy.

Soy protein concentrate can be processed two different ways:

·Soy flakes can be washed with water, then dried to make the finished product.
·Or alcohol can be added to soy flakes to dissolve sugars and other alcohol-soluble substances.

Unfortunately, both alcohol processing and excessive water washing remove most of the isoflavones naturally present in soy
flakes.

The third soy ingredient is isolated soy protein. What does isolated mean? Simply that once the protein is manufactured using water to remove most of the sugar in the soy flakes, the protein is then precipitated and dried. What you're left with is an ingredient that is 90% protein (based on dry weight)- a much higher percentage than you'll find in soy flour or soy protein concentrate, and a number that makes isolated soy protein the most concentrated form of soy protein there is.

Karen

4got Sat, Nov-16-02 08:21

Thanks for the info. We only have one store around here and they didn't have it. So maybe I will have to order on the internet. It's quite expensive isnt it. Dianne

freydis Sat, Nov-16-02 10:09

I use a product called "soy POWDER" - not soy flour. The bag claims it has only 5 g. carbs/quarter cup, 3 of which are fiber.

"NOW (brand) Soy Powder is produced from whole, dehulled, roasted soybeans."

The bag also says to use fewer eggs with it, but I find it works better with more eggs. Otherwise the product tends to be too crumbly. Anyway, you might call back those health food stores and ask for THIS product, especially now that you know a brand name to request.

4got Fri, Nov-22-02 09:00

Thanks for the info.. I will call them and see. Dianne :wave: :wave:

agonycat Fri, Nov-22-02 09:05

Thread was moved for being off topic to Atkin's.

Post moved to the Low-Carb Products forum.

IslandGirl Mon, Nov-25-02 19:52

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread was moved again :lol: as being MUCH more about cooking with soy protein and sorting out the different properties and ingredients... so here it is in the LowCarb Kitchen.

Take note of Karen's EXCELLENT "ingredients" post, right here in the Tips and Techniques section -- valuable info about soy and its variations there.

sig: Products Forum Moderator

4got Tue, Nov-26-02 07:24

Thanks for all the information. It helped alot.. Dianne :wave: