Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   unsweetened coconut??/ (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=168445)

Elisann Sat, Feb-21-04 19:50

unsweetened coconut??/

So, I keep looking at store for unsweetened shredded coconut and I can't find it anywhere! The baking sections always have sweetened coconut in bags but no unsweetened. Does anyone know where I can get it in the Seattle WA area?

Thanks!

Zuleikaa Sat, Feb-21-04 19:52

Try an Asian or Carribean grocery.

scottjan Sat, Feb-21-04 21:15

Health food stores in my area carry it. It is more expensive than sweetened.

LadyBelle Sat, Feb-21-04 21:42

Plug time :)

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com They have a freeze dried coconut that is like candy. It is unsweetened, but like most unsweetened dry coconut, it's not tasteless and dry. They also have wonderful coconut oils. I jsut ordered some of thier coconut cream too and can't wait to try it.

etoiles Sat, Feb-21-04 21:47

Try an ethnic grocery store in your area, like especially an Indian place. They usually have huge bags of unsweetened coconut for cheap.

MamaSara6 Sun, Feb-22-04 07:50

At my Publix, the unsweetened coconut is in the open freezer section---one tiny corner at the end, just big enough for a stack of bags. And it's on the front, so you can't actually see it unless you know it's there and lean over. Right next to the frozen berries. If you don't see it, ask for it.

black57 Sun, Feb-22-04 12:40

Whole Foods Market has it.

nikkil Sun, Feb-22-04 13:49

hmmmm--weird. Have you tried a variety of grocery stores? I've found it at pretty much every store I've gone to, in the baking section, with the sweetened coconut.

Good luck in your search! If you ever cross the border, there's plenty up here :lol: :lol: :lol:

FrecklFluf Sun, Feb-22-04 14:37

Quote:
I've found it at pretty much every store I've gone to, in the baking section, with the sweetened coconut.
Hah! I check every single time I'm in the baking aisle, and they'll have 6 brands/kinds of sweetened coconut, but NO unsweetened. And now I know why; Canada is hogging it all. :D

I will check out one of the Indian grocers, though. Good idea.

Elisann Sun, Feb-22-04 15:01

FreckleFluf, Im with you, I check everytime I go to a store. So thanks to all who posted ideas I'll try some of the places you suggested!

Lindym Sun, Feb-22-04 15:14

You might try the PPC stores. I was in one yesterday, in Issaquah, and they are neat. Their deli section has a lot of items that would work for a quick LC lunch as they not only list all the ingredients, but everything is all natural! :agree:

SweetPea00 Sun, Feb-22-04 15:26

I buy unsweetened coconut and coconut milk from Brazilian stores

tracie ann Sun, Feb-22-04 17:30

unsweetened coconut

I live in a very small town and have no problem finding it??? Isn't that bizzare not to find it in a larger suburban area like Seattle? We have
one Health Food Store in town(less than 30,000 people) and they have most everything.....and the coconut is only 1.00 for a bag. Can I send you some???

Saweetie Sun, Feb-22-04 20:15

I found some today at my local grocery store..in that baking section..next to the chocolate chips and the sweetened coconut.. had my choice between fine or medium grain...its $2.49CDN here... I am hoping to find some sort of reciepe that resembles a bounty bar...

LadyBelle Sun, Feb-22-04 21:06

I still say order online. Yes there is shipping, but the quality is so much higher it is amazing :)

No matter where you buy it, try this recipe in OWL.

Take cooked tail off frozen shrimp. Thaw then start to stir fry. Add in thawed broccoli flourettes, unsweetened coconut and sliced almonds. Stir fry until it all kind of blends.

This is a great tasting dish. When ever I try it I get full of energy and a warm feeling in the pit of my tummy.

Another recipe for a sweter treat is this. Take and melt some coconut oil in a pan. When it's liquid add some unsweetened coconut, sweetner if you choose, and soem cocoa. Then spred it in a shallow baking dish and place in fridge. When it cools it forms a solid kind of like almond bark. It's very high fat thanks to the coconut oil, and low carb. A great sweet snack. If you use the wilderness family coconut you don't need the sweetner :)