Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Where do I find LC milk? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154502)

momtogavin Thu, Dec-18-03 10:33

Where do I find LC milk?

What stores sell LC milk?

Thanks

Natalie

LadyBelle Thu, Dec-18-03 10:37

I get mine at the Super Walmart here. The Safeway's just started carrying it, but I only saw 2% and skim.

(If you do find it, run out and buy a yogurt maker!)

Debi Warne Thu, Dec-18-03 12:31

I found this some time ago in this forum

Low Carb Milk

“Milk” can be made if you take a quart of half-n-half
Mix it with equal parts of cold water plus an extra 1/4 cup (use a good bottled water)
Add a teaspoon of Splenda (it takes the place of the lactose)
Mix well and chill overnight. It will stay fresh for 3–5 days

If you liked your milk "skim" before going low carb, you may want to add more water. If you liked "whole" milk, try making it with 1/2 table or whipping cream and 1/2 half-n-half. The mix as I make it appoximates 2% milk.

If you make it according to these primary directions and have a 6–8 oz glass, it will run you 4 to 5.5 carbs. If you make it with half cream you can get the carbs down to about 3 grams per glass. Ditto for making it in the "skim" version.

cs_carver Thu, Dec-18-03 12:39

Umm... Why?

What's the point?

Plenty of other ways to get calcium; plenty of reasons that cow's milk is not the best food for people.

filmlass23 Thu, Dec-18-03 12:42

Hood makes some GREAT milk called Carb Counter. It's only available in New England and upstate NY right now... but they do plan to roll it out to stores nationwide...

lauracat28 Thu, Dec-18-03 13:24

oMG the hood carb coutdown is so good i love it. I think i heard of it before stop and shop around here has it

Birddog Thu, Dec-18-03 13:43

I get my carb countdown at my local Walmart and just notice my local grocery store is carrying it now. I love the Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk. It is absolutly wonderful!

donchka Thu, Dec-18-03 14:27

I found Carb Countdown at Albertsons today. They have fat-free, 2%, full fat and chocolate. HTH

LadyBelle Thu, Dec-18-03 14:53

The point is great tasting low carb homade yogurt :)

And an alternative to all those LC recipes that call for heavy cream (which seems to be 95% of them :P )

asalvato Thu, Dec-18-03 15:05

We have it in WalMart in the Orlando Fl area. Wonderful.

rishamoon Thu, Dec-18-03 17:22

The Carb Countdown (Hood) chocolate is ok. I like to add a dash of hazelnut SF syrup (DaVinci) and have it over ice.

The 2% is ok for over LC granola, but it didn't really float my boat otherwise. And I have LC granola so infrequently, I can just use half and half for that, much cheaper.

Don't have a clue about making yougurt, and since I never really cared for it anyway, not worried about it. LOL.

Anyone know if you can cook with Carb Countdown like regular milk? Just curious.

Meghan Thu, Dec-18-03 17:33

I did not eve know there was LC milk, man I have been missing out, I usually just eat things aloud in the induction so all the mock foods I forget about, but LC milk I would like does anyone know were you can get it in Washington?

Operaghost Thu, Dec-18-03 18:42

I have seen it all over the Seattle area. Try Fred Meyer or Safeway.

OG

Mossling Thu, Dec-18-03 19:27

Yet another LC thing that hasn't made it to the SF Peninsula. Sigh.

Jude

GabrielleG Thu, Dec-18-03 19:39

Meghan let me know if you find it out your way. I'm a bit east of you but if you get it in the Tacoma, I probably won't have long to wait.

Gabrielle