Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   GirlScout "Thin" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149078)

LadyBelle Sat, Nov-15-03 13:43

GirlScout "Thin"

I got a hold of a very old girlscout book form the early 50's I think it was. It was either a Junior or Senior book, which means it is for teens.

In one of the health badges they were talking about weight. The teste they said to use was

Quote:
Wrap your hands around your waist. If your fingers overlap you are underweight. If they touch, then you are a healthy weight. If your fingers can not touch then you are overweight and need to lose some pounds.

Honestly, can anyone here actually do that? I mean even those of us close to goal and within a healthy weight range for our body? I know having 2 kids and being older then a teen (all of 24) I may store a little extra fat. I can not visualize my waist ever being that small however, regardless of my age.

TarHeel Sat, Nov-15-03 14:01

Do you suppose there was a misprint and they meant to say "wrist" instead of "waist? Otherwise it's ridiculous!

Kay

cc48510 Sat, Nov-15-03 14:08

I just measured how big that would be and the waistline for touching fingers would be 12-14".

potatofree Sat, Nov-15-03 14:14

<stretching fingers like a madwoman>

Um, hopefully it was written for midgets with hands like Shaq....

MaryToU Sat, Nov-15-03 14:28

When I first read this I thought it said wrist. LOL I have heard in the past the wrist test thing, but never with your waist.

4beans4me Sat, Nov-15-03 14:30

That is just CRAZY! I'm hoping it's a typo...

cetacean Sat, Nov-15-03 14:47

i thought it said wrist, too.

LadyBelle Sat, Nov-15-03 16:42

It did say waist, that is why it stuck with me for so many years :) Even as a young teen when I read it I thought it was rediculous. I know thin was in, but pushing girls to get to that point is just wrong :)

Dstar96920 Sat, Nov-15-03 17:19

Anybody out there want to help me here? Need about 6 more sets of hands...
Wow, I cannot even imagine!

Piano Sat, Nov-15-03 19:21

Oh Brother!!!! I'm sure I could do it if I had 12 inch finger and thumb extensions on both hands! I'm going to check with some young teens I know and ask if they can do that.

Piano

MaryToU Sat, Nov-15-03 19:34

Would be a good time in your life to actually have man hands!

Wenzday Sat, Nov-15-03 20:19

HOLY COW!!!!!!! scarey!

atlee Sat, Nov-15-03 21:33

Maybe what they might have meant is to put your hands on your waist as you would put them on your hips, with your thumbs to the back and your fingers in front. My fingers touch when I do that, though not by much, and I have a 26" waist and a bf% that would be pretty middle-of-the-road for a teenage girl. I don't think they could possibly have meant wrapping your hands around the entire circumference of your waist, not unless they're endorsing corsets too. My (long-fingered) hands are 8 1/2" from thumb to middle finger, and a 17" waist would be considered pretty tiny for a teenage girl in the *1860s* (and only achievable then with years of corseting and the attendant ribcage deformation).

hey_Neener Sat, Nov-15-03 23:51

Even Scarlett (fictional character) had a 17 inch waist only when tightly corsetted! Must have been your fella's hands! Somehow I can't imagine the Girl Scouts advocating a guy's hands on their girls!

Alina Sun, Nov-16-03 10:29

:lol:
If it's a 'wrist' then I'm underweight. Hmmm, right. Not!
If it's a 'waist' then I need an appointement at Dr Frankensteins', hope he's got a set of hands to spare.........

Alina *laughing*