Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Flaxseed/meal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138871)

adukart Tue, Sep-23-03 11:23

Flaxseed/meal

Would flaxseed or meal be allowed during induction? I'm thinking not but I also didn't think pork rinds would be either.

hey_Neener Tue, Sep-23-03 11:58

I think both are ok.

bwit Tue, Sep-23-03 12:17

What do you do with flaxseed? It is like a cereal?

bw

adukart Tue, Sep-23-03 12:53

bwit,
If you search the groups there are recipes for making it into a hot cereal for breakfast. When off induction there are also recipes for muffins, bread, and some other stuff.

bwit Tue, Sep-23-03 13:16

adukart - Thanks! I'll check it out.

Athena31 Tue, Sep-23-03 14:55

Fiber capsules have been upsetting my stomach, and I've been having real fiber issues, so I've been using ground flaxseed like this:

pour a few ounces of heavy whipping cream into a cup or tupperware container that has a tight fitting lid, add a half tablespoon or so of unsweetened Hershy's cocoa (3 carbs/2 fibers = 1 net carb per full Tbls), some splenda to taste, and 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal. Put the lid on and shake it until you don't hear liquid anymore (but not too much, otherwise it will turn into butter). You're making whipped cream, basically, or a version of chocolate mousse. With just a few ounces of cream, this doesn't make more than a few really big bites, but it sure is a more enjoyable form of fiber than the pills. Beware, the amount of cream you use is where the extra carbs can slip in -- I really have to watch myself. I also do variations on this, sometimes adding a pinch of chopped walnuts or unsweetened coconut (more fiber).

Good luck- Athena

adukart Tue, Sep-23-03 15:41

Just a comment: (reminder) walnuts (or any nuts) are not allowed during induction

Then I realized neither is cocoa so you probably meant this for a recipe after induction, sorry.

Athena31 Tue, Sep-23-03 22:24

Oh, I'm sorry I missed you asking specifically about induction. You're right, this shouldn't be done in the first few weeks. Sorry! Athena

rozezone Wed, Sep-24-03 06:29

I'm pretty sure Atkins suggests flaxseed on induction for fiber issues. My bob's red mill says 4 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fiber, so I count each serving as 1 to allow for hidden carbs.

Put two TBSP flaxmeal in a bowl, add hot (not boiling water) and stir alot till It's cream of wheat consistency, put a tiny splash of cream ontop, maybe some splenda or cinnimmon (if off induction, pecans are great in this), and enjoy! To stir it alot is the trick, otherwise it will congeal together in a slimy clump ;)

That's alot of fiber mileage for the carb count.

adukart Wed, Sep-24-03 08:01

rozezone,
How much water would you say you put in?

serrelind Wed, Sep-24-03 08:36

tag! :)

adukart Fri, Sep-26-03 12:27

I just wanted to add that I did try the cereal and it was alright. I also wanted to say that the bag says that this is a delicious NUT. The book says no nuts during induction. So I am just going to stay away from it till my induction is over, so in the freezer it goes.

doreen T Fri, Sep-26-03 14:11

From the official Atkins Center website ... The Rules of Induction ...
Quote:
12. If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.

So it is permitted on Induction, but might be best to limit to no more than 2 - 3 Tbsp.

Freshly ground flaxseed has an added advantage .. not only is it an excellent source of fiber, but also provides important omega-3 fatty acids from its oil :thup:

Doreen

rozezone Fri, Sep-26-03 14:37

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, adukart! Didn't follow up on this thread!

I probably use about 1-2 oz of water? Maybe an equal amount as the flaxseed. The trick is to keep stirring and stirring so you don't get a big gluey mass!