Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Sugar free peanut butter? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109419)

ShadowTail Thu, May-29-03 19:09

Sugar free peanut butter?

Is there really such a thing as real peanut butter without sugar? All I was able to find at our health food store was beanut butter. Made out of soy. Barely resembles peanut butter.
So, if your talking about real peanut butter, where do you buy it? Grocery store or healthfood store?

Thanks in advance.

hysteria Thu, May-29-03 19:45

The closest thing I have found is "Natural" peanut butter. Locally, I buy a brand called "Crazy Richards" - I think this is a Northeast / midwest brand. It is made out of pure peanuts & that is it, nothing else. It took some getting used to - the oil on top has to be mixed in and it is def. not as sweet as Peter Pan, but I LOVE it now & will never go back to the hydrogenated oils in regular p/b

Also - locally - Shoppers Food Warehouse & Whole Foods carry the Natural p/b

Good luck :wave:

penelope Thu, May-29-03 19:54

I buy mine at the grocery store in the Bulk section.

It is ground on the spot and you get how much you need.

Pene

ShadowTail Thu, May-29-03 19:59

Thank you so much! Can you tell me how many carbs are in a serving?
I will have to keep my eyes open for this.

Kathy54 Thu, May-29-03 21:57

Look for Adams Natural Peanut Butter, I'm sure it's available in the U.S. Also, Safeway in Canada has it's own brand of Natural Peanut butter, useally found in the same area as all the highly chemicaled stuff like Skippy, I'm sure it should be in the US stores as well. Generally it will be a $1.oo or so more , but it's worth it!

I use it on celery, zuchinni slices, a nice treat for the taste buds. I also buy Almond butter, at the health food store, a bit pricey, but I hide it from the rest of the gobblins ;)

Cheers Kathy

Hatman Thu, May-29-03 22:11

our Fred Meyer grocery chain is awesome,
has a full natural section and in that section it has a machine that grinds peanuts into peanut butter.
you can control how much peanuts you put in so easy to figure out how much carbs etc in each serving.

only drawback is you have to eat it fairly soon (1 week or so) and keep in fridge.

Skamito Thu, May-29-03 22:46

I buy Smucker's Natural. The ingredients are simply peanuts and salt. You can get salt-free too, but it's much more expensive. Carb count for two tablespoons is 7g - 2g fiber.

I stay as far away as I can from hydrogenated oils, so I never ate regular peanutbutter much anyway. I LOVE my natural though!

Mary H. Fri, May-30-03 06:19

Like Skamito, we've been buying Smucker's Natural. It is available in grocery stores all across the country. Stirring in the oil takes only about 8 seconds.

Have been using Smucker's for many years, since it first came out. I don't think I could tolerate the taste of sweet peanut butter.

Have you ever tried peanut butter spread on a stalk of celery? Sounds weird, but the combination is incredibly GOOD! What's very strange is that I don't even like celery, but combined with the peanut butter it takes on a totally different taste.

This was a major treat from my childhood (I had a diabetic brother, so we were never allowed to have any sweet treats, ever). Thought I was deprived then, now I realize it was a very good practice.

Try the peanut butter on celery, you'll be surprised.

coolazchic Fri, May-30-03 07:05

I use Smuckers too. I have not tried any other types. Atkin's has some peanut butter products. I would love to try the macadamia nut butter. Anyone try that yet? Is it good? I LOVE peanut butter. :D

erbadger Fri, May-30-03 07:30

Being a grocery fiend (I have scoured all the stores in town to find stuff) I came across an off brand that has no suagr added and is actually good tasting. best part? only $1.95 a jar!!! The only other kinds besides simply jif etc. have been very expensive $5 jar. Bad part, I don't remember the name, and no longer have it at home as I was eating it straight from the jar, and its 100 cals a tablespoon! No more PB for me!!

cc48510 Fri, May-30-03 07:46

A 4th, 5th, Whatever vote for Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter. It is not only Trans-Fat and Sugar Free...but, it is also reasonably priced.

bostonkarl Fri, May-30-03 08:00

Laura Scudders - when I lived in California, I grew up eating this stuff mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Teddie - here in New England

Both available at most supermarkets. Once you have the real thing (penuts and salt), you'll never go back. It tastes so much better.

klawrence Fri, May-30-03 08:21

Ditto on Teddie

Actually I can't keep the real (uhm . . fake) stuff (like Jif) in the house becasue I'm afraid I'd eat the whole jar with a spoon. :blush:

jamian Fri, May-30-03 09:50

Coolazchic-
I have tried the macadamia butter from the Atkins web site. Very good for a change of pace, but it isn't that toasty peanut flavor that we crave. Pricey too, like $4.99 for a tiny 6oz jar. I only got one order of stuff from that site when I first started and havn't gotten anything else because it is so overpriced.

NJCHICK218 Fri, May-30-03 09:54

THERE S A STORE CALLED WHOLE FOODS IT IS A ORGANIC SUPERMRKET, THEY AE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. THEY HAVE PURE PEANUT AND ALMOND BUTTER. YOU ACTUALLY MAKE IT FRESH FROM THE GRINDING MACHINE. ITS NO MORE EXPENSIVE THAN REGULAR PEANUT BUTTER, GOOD LUCKHOPE THERES ONE NEAR YOU!!!