Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Back after 15 lbs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=275436)

sreed54 Tue, Nov-29-05 21:32

Back after 15 lbs

Hello everyone,
I started Atkins in 2001 and lost 35 pounds. I was on induction for 6 weeks (I liked the structure) and slowly added more healthy carbs. Then I just started eating whatever I wanted and now need to lose those 15 pesky pounds I gained back. Do you have any hints for going back after all these pounds?
Thank you so much for your time,
Sue R, Reno :help:

Kristine Wed, Nov-30-05 08:34

Hi and welcome. :wave:

I'd just jump right back into induction. :thup: Do it right now. If there's still "bad stuff" in the house, give it away. If that's not do-able for you right now, at least eat at maintenance levels.

It can be tough to transition from being very strict and structured with yourself, to making this a way of eating for life. If it were me, I'd take a look at the factors that led to "eating whatever you want". Do you have a family that you have to cook for, and was juggling different menus too difficult? Are social events to blame? Work lunches? Time? Finances? Look at your environment and see how you (we) can make this more doable for you long-term. :idea: Feel free to post more about your lifestyle so that we can offer more concrete advice.

sreed54 Wed, Nov-30-05 18:16

Thank you, Kristine for reading "my plea." I feel supported now. I started induction yesterday, just like you said, and realized how good I feel about eating right, again.
I started to eat whatever I wanted after three years on Atkins for no good reason. I do cook for my family but they eat whatever I eat and add bread and fruit.
I know I just got lazy for easy food (Starbucks rolls, grabbing chips) and started making excuses to myself.
Now I'm back and I appreciate your help & support.
Sue

missaec Thu, Dec-01-05 17:31

I was on plan for a long time and went off and gained quite a bit back. A large part of my problem was pure laziness and a hatred for the grocery store. One suggestion is that if you like eating out, pick two or three places that you KNOW have something you can eat on plan that you really like. And only allow yourself to go to those places. Additionally, force yourself to go to the grocery store and get enough to last awhile. Make sure you don't keep anything you shouldn't eat in the house. Or if your family wants stuff that you can't have... keep it separate from your food. Like have your own cabinet of food or shelf in the refridgerator and their cabinet or shelf. Kind of gives you a sense of ownership and you won't be as likely to wander to foods you aren't supposed to eat. :)

sreed54 Thu, Dec-01-05 20:12

Thank you so much! And congratulations on your successful weight loss.
Your support helps me and I am going to start working on my very own shelf of food here at the house!
Sue