Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   wierd urine (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=199233)

Shelley J Thu, Jul-22-04 12:42

wierd urine

Ok, don't mean to gross you out... but went pee and I could see what looked like a small oil slick on top of the water... Do you think that's my "stored energy" (fat) being peed out? If so, how cool is that?

Shelley J Thu, Jul-22-04 12:45

oh yeah, and it's not like I sit there and stare at it, the light caught it, and I just noticed it. FYI

erinleigh Thu, Jul-22-04 13:12

hahahahahaha....:lol: Ok, that has happened to me a few times, I was curious about that as well!!

Nancy LC Thu, Jul-22-04 13:13

Nope, you don't excrete body fat, you consume it for fuel.

No idea what you're seeing.

erinleigh Thu, Jul-22-04 13:26

I guess Shelley were just weird pee'rs!!! :lol:

Zuleikaa Thu, Jul-22-04 18:25

Yes, you can excrete fat. Fat breaks down and is cleaned out of the system. The fat excreted can come from the food you eat or the broken down fat that is not used for fuel.

Lobstergal Thu, Jul-22-04 19:24

I had that happen to me today too. It weirded me right out.

nyc10034 Wed, Oct-27-04 16:27

Is this the same as a foamy urine? That is what I experience...

hifive Thu, Oct-28-04 08:58

Nyc10034, foamy urine is a sign of protein in the urine. This is NOT normal, and you should have it checked by a doctor! Your kidneys should not "waste" protein--it is your liver's job to break it down--healthy kidneys will conserve all the protein in the blood and bring it back to the liver for processing. The "foam" is the protein (albumin) being "whipped" (like the albumin in egg whites) by the urination process (esp in a boy peeing from a standing position, the urination process really agitates the urine--I know TMI but hell it's just biology guys:)).

Of course, I am talking about "foam" that does not disperse in the toilet--not just temporary bubbles, but actual foam that "holds up," just like very airy whipped egg whites would.

Shelley, about your "oil slick" pee--are you taking any supplements? it is possible you are wasting the excess in your urine, and if the stuff is not perfectly soluble in your urine, it will collect in an "oil slick."

But I would like to think of it as fat-wasting too. And I will, if I ever notice an oil slick in my own urine :)

Nyc, tell us what the doc says.

:)Lucy

nyc10034 Thu, Oct-28-04 11:18

Lab tests

Oh no. That does not sound good. I had lab tests done on Sept. 17, 2004, which was done 2 weeks into Atkins(induction) and these were my results:
Cholesterol 120 total. HDL-62/LDL-47/LDL to HDL Ratio-.77
Glucose 61
Creatinine 308.80
Everything else was in the normal range except for what I posted above. For the above, the lab results(sheet) reads my cholesterol is low, HDL is high, LDL is low, LDL/HDL ratio is low, glucose low, and creatinine is 8.80 over the normal range of 10-300 mg. I have to remind you that I do urinate foamy at times, NOT all the time. The doctor did say my creatinine was a little high, but nothing to be worried about. hmmm... I will continue to monitor this myself before receiving a doctor's opinion. :thup:

black57 Thu, Oct-28-04 21:54

There had been a post a while back about pissing oil slicks, which I had never experienced until a few days ago. I was quite happy to see it.

hifive Fri, Oct-29-04 00:15

NYC, that is a very odd number for creatinine. Normal is less than 1.6 in most labs. 308 is just bizarre. Are you sure you are reading it right? Even if the units are off, and your creatinine is 3.08, this is very abnormal for a healthy young man.

Creatinine is a measure of kidney function. Whatever the real creatinine value is, your doctor said it was abnormal; combined with the foamy urine, it seems even more urgent to be rechecked by your doc. Kidney function can deteriorate quickly (over hours or days, much less the 2+ months which have elapsed since you had your blood checked).

Again, this foamy urine could be nothing; and your kidney function might be fine. But I really think you should check it out--at least check in with your doc by phone, and see if s/he wants you to have another blood (or urine) test.

Hey--and double-check those creatinine results, wouldja? You got me curious. And post the units?

KoKo Fri, Oct-29-04 00:35

It's probably just excess dietary fat being excreted, the same thing that will give a false reading of ketosis, even when you're doing Atkins properly, a lot of the time your urine will have enough fat to turn ketostik purple or leave an oily residue in the toilet without you being in ketotis and of course you can be in ketosis and not lose weight - people seem to forget that.

hifive Fri, Oct-29-04 00:55

Eureka! I bet I have figured out your mysterious creatinine results, NYC.

I bet you are reading the results for "Creatine Phosphokinase" (CPK), which is a muscle breakdown product and certainly 300ish would not be worrisome in an active young man (working out causes microdamage to muscles and makes the CPK level rise).

The names are similar, but creaTINE phosphokinase does not = creaTININE.

Okay, now I can sleep :)

PS Oh, and BTW, since you say your urine is foamy only sometimes, perhaps it occurs only when you have a lot of urine in your bladder--pressure can cause velocity, which can cause bubbles. But...if you notice that the foam doesn't break down (like ordinary bubbles would), you should check with your doc.

Cheers :)

Delta Fox Fri, Oct-29-04 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley J
Ok, don't mean to gross you out... but went pee and I could see what looked like a small oil slick on top of the water... Do you think that's my "stored energy" (fat) being peed out? If so, how cool is that?

From what I have heard, the more we drink, the more fat we loose. I am not a scientist but I have been told, time and time again, that water (and O2, oxygen) are the vehicles that rid our bodies of fat. Anyone with any factual data, PLEASE, reiterate what I just stated. Therefore, in my happily ignorant opinion, the more I (drink & breathe, the more I lose) pee, the more toxins/fatty crap I release. Anyone??? :p