Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Induction questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181638)

klindley7 Fri, Apr-30-04 08:54

Induction questions

Hello again everyone :)
I am hoping that someone can answer a few questions for me. I just started induction 5 days ago and I am finding it hard to get 20 carbs a day.I usually only average 6 a day. If I am not eating enough will I gain weight?This is a example of what I eat in a day.2 egg mushroom omlet
for breakfast.Lunch is a salad with 1-2 cups of romane lettuce,lemon juice,cooked shrimp.Dinner is 3 ounces meat,broc and cauliflour,1 deviled egg. and I have 2 hd boiled eggs or deviled eggs in between meals,and also eat about 30 pork rinds throughout the day.I am not clear on how much food I can eat??a lot of times I still feel pretty hungry,but when I do eat I feel satisfied.I exercise everydayby walking a mile,and doing arm weights and sit ups.Would you PLEASE help me out here ?? PLEASE tell me how much I can eat,and give me some samples of meals on the induction phase.Thank you SO much for your help in advance ! Look forward to hearing from you SOON ! Karen

Kristine Fri, Apr-30-04 11:43

Hi and welcome. :wave: As long as you're eating your veggies, don't worry if the carb count is a little low. The 20 g allows you to have cheese, salad dressings, coffee with cream and sweetener, and other little extras. You don't seem to be having that. That's okay! It means you have a bit of wiggle room. :wiggle:

I think your menu sounds good. :thup: It's hard to comment on portions because it depends on your metabolism and your hunger. As long as you're neither going hungry nor stuffing yourself, you should be fine.

potatofree Fri, Apr-30-04 11:45

It's pretty simple. :D On induction especially, if you're hungry eat! You can havthat salad piled up with eggs, meat and a bit of cheese, and a good fatty dressing. Have a second helping of meat at suppertime and add an extra pat of butter on the veggies. Fat will help you stay full longer.

Aside from the veggies, remember you're also getting some carbs from the eggs and cheese, etc..

LilaCotton Fri, Apr-30-04 12:27

Diet Revolution has sample menus in it.

One thing I would do with lunch is change that salad and dressing. You're having two cups of basically nothing (in the form of lettuce). Add some more veggies to that salad, like cucumber, green peppers--anything off the Induction list). This will give you a few more carbs AND increase your nutrient intake substantially. Also, instead of lemon juice, use a dressing with some real fat in it. I like Ranch dressing on seafood salads pretty well. Another great thing to do with shrimp is steam them and eat them with a little butter/garlic sauce. I love this stuff! Can't afford shrimp very often, though, LOL.

Basically there isn't a real set limit on the amount of food you can have in a day. During Induction you're not going to be as hungry, anyway, and if you are hungry like on a low-fat diet you probably need to increase your fat intake. A good rule of thumb is to eat 10-12x your bodyweight in calories, which would give you between 1800 and 2000 calories, roughly. A handy tool to help keep track is http://www.fitday.com You can enter all your foods into that and it will add up everything for you.

klindley7 Fri, Apr-30-04 13:10

Responding

Hello :)
Thanks for getting back to me,and for the useful info. I logged on to the link you gave me but I don't understand where on the website that you put down what you ate,and how they figure it out for you.Could you please explain that to me? thanks again !!!

erinleigh Fri, Apr-30-04 14:36

Karen~
No need to worry some days I only get 10 carbs or even 15...it all depends!

missy7938 Fri, Apr-30-04 20:14

Hello and welcome to low carbing! You should run to your local library and borrow a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and READ it! (you could also buy a copy of the book)! It has become my bible! Also remember to drink half your weight in ounces of water every day. Good luck! Missy

idontno Sat, May-01-04 04:50

i used induction on and off all the time, try to eat more vegs spinish in salads,omlets really helped me some people can eat nuts without stalling. never ever buy nuts in a larger than one once bag. even though im at my goal weight somedays i still wind up eating under 20 carbs a day. feel great and have the most muscle mass that i have ever had in my life time however im still losing weight and gaining muscle mass...... atkins works!

klindley7 Sun, May-02-04 21:18

Hi,
I just want to say thanks for getting back to me! sounds like you are doing good ! keep up the good work! and thanks for the info:)

cheryljm Mon, May-03-04 05:05

Hi,

Yesterday i decided this is it. One day down and 50 pounds to go. I ordered two books to help me. Thanks for the info and encouragement from the different people I have been contacted by. This is the first time that I have ever used a used a site like this. I really think I now can do it. I am in my late 50's and I do not excercise very much. One day at a time. Thanks again.

Cheryl

y2valerie Sun, May-09-04 20:49

low carbs

looking at your menu your eating way more than 6carbs on induction were only allowed 2 cups of salad and one cup of veggie and the one cup of veggie is only if you have had less than 2 cups of salad also lime juice and lemon juice hace carbs.

*soonslim* Tue, May-11-04 20:24

i have the same problem sometimes