Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Hydration -- all at once or thru-out the day? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=161756)

Thumbelina Fri, Jan-23-04 09:42

Hydration -- all at once or thru-out the day?

I am wondering whether if makes a difference if you drink your water requirement right away or whether it is better to space it out over the day. I put a 2 quart pitcher of water in the fridge and drink from it throughout the day. I've found that it's easier for me to drink the bulk of the water in the morning before I start my myriad of activities. Of course, I continue to drink water into the evening, just not as much. Does it matter how the water is rationed out over the day, as long as you meet your daily requirement?

Claudius Fri, Jan-23-04 09:58

Nice question indeed. If anyone can shed some light on this please let us all know. I am in the same boat. I tend to consume the bulk of my water at work and mostly during the AM hours. I also tend to drink the balance before going to bed (not the brightest idea as half way through the night I tend to wake and visit the bathroom... ack).

I would assume that with everything we would want to space it out evenly. I know I try to avoid drinking too much water if I consume a meal that was high in sodium. I found that if I drank lots of water right after I was bloated for a day.

Tracey71 Fri, Jan-23-04 10:27

I don't have the scientific answer, but I don't think it matters. I drink the bulk of my water during the daytime hours too. This hasn't seem to hinder my progress.

sjkling Fri, Jan-23-04 10:31

i try my hardest to have 64 oz gone by noon! the rest is all just added benefit....

LadyBelle Fri, Jan-23-04 11:10

Drink it through out the day. If you drink it all at once your body will take what it needs, then flush out the rest. Later when it needs more it won't have any available. Also if your body thinks it's not getting enough water often enough, it will start to retain water like mad, making for bloat.

It's also important because if you drink a massive amount of water all at once, there is a chance for water intoxication. Instead why not just get a water bottle and sip constantly through out the day. You'll probably consume more water over all and not have to force yourself to chug.

Thumbelina Fri, Jan-23-04 11:21

Good comment, Ladybelle, what you say makes common sense!

Mythrandir Fri, Jan-23-04 13:13

I just try to drink a large glass with each meal then with the snack and finally one around 7 or 8pm. Comes out to about 80 ounces.

Myth

potatofree Fri, Jan-23-04 13:34

I have a weird way of remembering my water (which in my opinion should be spaced throughout the day) is to drink a glass every time I'm at the sink washing my hands after a "powder room visit"...