Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Tomato sauce/salsa is it allowed on induction? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175269)

3xmommy Sat, Mar-27-04 07:45

Tomato sauce/salsa is it allowed on induction?

I wanted to make a dish using tomato sauce or salsa, but is it allowed..I have a small can of hunts tomato sauce also Pace salsa..Can they be used on induction?

Michelle

DianaO Sat, Mar-27-04 07:54

I wouldn't check out www.atkins.com unless you have the book

Rosie Real Sat, Mar-27-04 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaO
I wouldn't check out www.atkins.com unless you have the book

Ditto. Those things have sugar. Induction is for total detox from it. Best of luck to you. :)

3xmommy Sat, Mar-27-04 10:10

Ok fair enough . I have 1 more day on induction, so now I would like to eat more variety, one being something with tomato sauce and mozzerella..
I have the book..I find that it lacks some specific info that I ma looking for.Not clear cut to some readers like me..ANy help would be greatly appreciated..
Michelle

osuzana Sat, Mar-27-04 13:55

You know what?? Just read the lable on the can... Plain diced tomatoes in a can are OK depending on the brand you use...

And I make my own salsa.. no sugar added... and I'll bet you can find a brand with no sugar.. and to be sure it's safe, just read the lable, and don't forget to subtract the fiber.:)

3xmommy Sat, Mar-27-04 17:53

Hey Osuzana,,
How do you make your salsa? I have a recipe that my friend makes and it's loaded with lots of onion other high carb things..
Michelle

osuzana Sun, Mar-28-04 08:00

I use fresh Cilantro
Lime juice (fresh)
Green Pepper (1)
Red Onion
1 or 2 chili peppers (depending how hot you like it)
salt ~Pepper ~ dried Cumin
Canned Tomatoes

chop everything to the size you like

I make it without measuring...mostly to taste, and because it needs to be lo carb... I use a lot of canned tomatoes, with nothing added to them

teresamay Sun, Mar-28-04 09:16

You know, I have been using salsa for quite awhile - I don't find it that bad, as long as you make sure it is one with less carbs - some can be quite high - and keep it literally to one tbsp - 2 max. What I do is mix 1 tbsp wiht 1tbs of sour cream for a sauce for my fake taco salad...I would stay away from tomato sauce though.

osuzana Sun, Mar-28-04 12:14

You can make a great tomato sauce with fesh tomatoes, or canned tomatoes (no sugar,just tomatoes)
first saute a fresh minced garlic in a generous amount os extra virgin olive oli... add frsh basil or dried (to taste) salt and pepper and then the tomatoes. I puree half the can and use the the rest of them chopped up small. cook for awhile till a bit thicker. Excellent!

MyJourney Sun, Mar-28-04 14:32

I buy Herrs salsa it has about 1g carbs per tbsp but no sugars in the ingredients and 1 tbsp seems to be more than enough for me to mix with my eggs or avocado.