Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   sweets during induction... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=99104)

slimsoon Wed, Apr-16-03 06:45

sweets during induction...

PLEASE tell me what sweets i can have during induction!

thank you....

yours,

really SLIMSOON

Alina Wed, Apr-16-03 07:20

Hi,

I can only tell you from my experience - try to stay away from fake sweets on Induction. The point of it is to get rid of sugar cravings. I had no fake sugars and NO CRAVINGS. They go hand in hand, I've heard it too many times on this forum.
Good luck!
A

chocy963 Wed, Apr-16-03 07:22

I think the answer really is - none. Sorry to tell you that. Even artificial sweetners are frowned on because they may trigger cravings.

The first few days without sweets were really hard for me. But, I surprised even myself when I found how easy it is to live without them. After my two weeks I tried a bottle of Crystal Lite - and you know what? It wasn't that good! LOL

I have since added some strawberries and whipped cream once in a while, but even those I can live without. I used to think I would die without sweets in the evening, but I am doing fine without.

Stick with it and hopefully you will find the same thing will happen for you. And hang out here - you'll find lots of support :)

slimsoon Wed, Apr-16-03 07:27

thank you very much! i will attempt to stick with the no-sweets, but staying on this plan has been NO PROBLEM, as this is my 3rd day and already i have had NO MORNING SICKNESS (i'm 1.5 months pregnant), except for when i don't eat as soon as i'm hungry, which is not every hour like it used to be...

could atkin's really be a cure for morning sickness? hmmmm....

yours,

really SLIMSOON

whyspers Wed, Apr-16-03 07:44

I think you would be okay with the cream cheese, splenda, cinnamon microwaved treat. All of those items are allowed on induction. I know it helped me out tremendously that first week or so and even now I like to have one from time to time. Really hit the spot and good for fat percentages :)

L

Oh...I didn't see where you are pregnant! Congrats, but Dr. A says only do Maintenance while pregnant!

mrschmelz Wed, Apr-16-03 07:46

According to Dr. Atkins you should NOT BE on induction or OWL while pregnant. The only thing you can be on during pregnancy is maintenance. I am not a doctor but for the health of your baby, I would recomend you get off induction.

http://atkinscenter.com/helpatkins/...mens/index.html

slimsoon Wed, Apr-16-03 07:48

whyspers...thanks for the suggestion! ;)

i will definitely try that today...and thanks for the congrats...my doctor is the one who recommended this plan to me as she is truly worried about this pregnancy, for my last one (i delivered 7/4/02) didn't go so well...i had preclampsia [sic] and high blood pressure...i am now 210 and she feels that if i get the weight off early, i may be in good standing for a healthy pregnancy...

so far, so good...we'll see, eh?

yours,

really SLIMSOON

Alina Wed, Apr-16-03 07:57

Slim, I'm not so sure about this. Dr Atkins states this very clearly: no induction levels for pregnant women. Only maintenance.
Alina

slimsoon Wed, Apr-16-03 08:00

well, we'll see...i do trust my doctor and everything's been working for me fine...

thanks for the concerns, however - you guys ARE supportive - that's nice to know ;)...

yours,

really SLIMSOON

Elihnig Wed, Apr-16-03 10:28

Hi Slimsoon!

I tried to do a lower carb pregnancy, though some weeks turned into sugar fests.

If you want you can read my journal. My baby is 7 1/2 months old now.

Beth

whyspers Wed, Apr-16-03 11:24

Well, listen to your doctor...he/she is the one who knows your medical history best. I have heard that if you start out overweight, it is okay to not gain any weight during the pregnancy. Just be careful and take care of yourself and that baby!!!!! Also, congrats on the little one that will soon be one :) My oldest two girls are 11 months apart. I will tell you know, it would have been easier to just have twins given the choice...lol.

L

Shelley J Wed, Apr-16-03 11:36

I would have to agree

With everybody else... No sweets.

But if you MUST have SF jello.

MsJinx Wed, Apr-16-03 11:45

Aspertame makes me a MANIAC. See if you can get some brand of jello or make your own with sugar free coo l aid, gelatin, and splenda (better yet, liquid stevia - an herbal sweetener, most natural). Saw a recipe board around here with that. Also, not sure I'd be having much aspartame with baby on board, ya just never know.l

slimsoon Wed, Apr-16-03 11:52

thanks for your tips, ladies! i shall do the sf jello, then...i believe it will curb any sweet cravings i may have...you know, my doctor said that if i have ANY cravings, to call her...i was wondering why until i got on this board and started this plan...now i know that cravings really mean something...

ms. jinx, i heard that stevia was healthier and was wondering why it wasn't mentioned in the book (unless i overlooked it)...i thought it wasn't allowed...

yours,

really SLIMSOON

Skamito Wed, Apr-16-03 11:56

Quote:
Originally posted by slimsoon
i heard that stevia was healthier and was wondering why it wasn't mentioned in the book (unless i overlooked it)...i thought it wasn't allowed...

My guess is because stevia is not approved for use as a sweetener in the United States. You may buy it as an "herbal supplement" only.

Good luck. You seem to be very well-informed and on the right track! :)