Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Ideas needed (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=66862)

BobHaymond Sun, Oct-20-02 22:08

Ideas needed

I find mayonaise thicker than I'd want on a salad. Tonight, I tried mixxing it with whipped cream cheese. Tasted okay but was not much better in consistancy.

I figger that there must be a boat-load of salad dressings recipes that are totally "induction". Would appreciate you guys sending them along. :wave:

Rosebud Sun, Oct-20-02 22:24

Hi Bob,

I usually use plain ol' oil and vinegar - 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Or I use Cardini's Original Caesar Dressing - 0.6g carb per fluid ounce.

Dr Atkins' website has a recipe for "Classic Vinaigrette" here.

Or you can check through this previous thread on Salad Dressings.

If you want your mayonnaise runny enough for salads, try mixing it with lemon juice. Just remember to count in the carbs - the juice of ½ lemon has around 4g carbs - probably enough for 2 or 3 serves.

That should be enough to start you off!

All the best, mate!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

suze_c Mon, Oct-21-02 01:06

Salad Dressing

I don't mind eating my salad plain actually, but I do have this dill sauce that I put on it sometimes....Milani sauce, it has 1 grm carb per 2 T,but for me.... 2T is overkill... you might try it, if you like dill flavor.

alibubble Mon, Oct-21-02 07:46

Hi

Try mixing mayonnaise with soured cream.
Or
Just use soured cream mixed with garlic and herb dressing, I find this has a better consistency and makes salads more tasty

Ali

krazzybird Mon, Oct-21-02 09:18

Bob -

I am still on induction, and I have been using a brand of salad dressing called "Marie's". Most grocery stores have them in the produce isle. Their Blue Cheese Dressing is wonderful, and has no carbs. Hope that helped! :)

melissa07 Mon, Oct-21-02 10:30

I absolutely HATE mayo, and I've found many low-carb dressings in the supermarket, mostly full fat ranch, caesar, or bleu cheese. Also you can make your own with 4 seasonings packet dressing, & add your own vinegar & oil. It is very delicious.

Kemss Mon, Oct-21-02 11:08

I added olive oil to my thick salad dressing... and it was wonderful.

Piglet-135 Thu, Oct-24-02 17:14

Many Salad Dressing Choices

I've found lots of yummy salad dressings at the grocery store that are 1g per serving and usually one serving is all I need.

Try Newman's Own -- he has a lot of choices for 2g or less per serving.

Ken's Steakhouse Italian with Aged Romano is really good (and I used to HATE Italian dressing) and is 1g.

Generally, the 1 or 2 grams ARE sugar, but I don't find it causes cravings and if I'm going to eat so much salad, then I need a good dressing.

jesdorka Thu, Oct-24-02 19:54

for salads i thin out the mayo with just plain water. add it to the mayo, mix with blender until desired consistency.

BobHaymond Thu, Oct-24-02 20:53

Thanx. My wife came up with the same answer. It's working fine. :)

bdeeley Fri, Oct-25-02 00:20

I have a side salad several times a week...definitely a good idea to vary the dressing to avoid getting sick of it...creamy dressings are great...

...but I'd highly recommed using oil-based dressing periodically too...this is a great way to get olive oil on a regular basis (which we all know is one the best sources of "good" fat!)...

...I'm not much for plain oil & vinegar...but my wife makes and awesome blend with basil (fresh isn't required) and garlic...I don't know the recipe off the top of my head, but my wife was willing to disclose that it's in the time-tested Betty Crocker Cookbook...definitely worth checking...

...another good idea is to add some cheese (I like cumbled bleu, but I know it's not for everyone) and some crumbled walnuts or pecans (it doesn't take too many). It adds lots of flavor to otherwise boring salads and is extremely filling...helps with portion control on those big steaks and pork chops!

pdevil Fri, Oct-25-02 07:51

Dressing Ideas

Hi Bob, the dressing I make is pretty good.

I use olive oil, spices, lemon juice and/or lime juice. It's light and really tastes good! I don't really have the porportions I just add and taste until it's the way I like it. I also found Hidden Valley Ranch (2 carbs per 2 Tbsp.) Hope this helps!

Good Luck!
Monika