Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Lipitor and leg pains (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159071)

JCSS Mon, Jan-12-04 22:42

Lipitor and leg pains

I mentioned in earlier posts that I have been experiencing pains in my legs. My wife pointed out that the Lipitor web site says "If you are prescribed Lipitor, be sure to alert your doctor as soon as possible if you have any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness".

I'll call my Doctor in the AM. Any advice on this?

eency Tue, Jan-13-04 05:30

I had arm and leg weakness when I took Lipitor. My doctor took me off of it and is giving me 4 months to get my numbers down.
Tell your doctor about the cramps.

mrschmelz Tue, Jan-13-04 06:25

I agree with eency, tell your doctor and see what he/she thinks about the situation. Hopefully, in a few months you won't need the stuff anyway :)

JCSS Tue, Jan-13-04 09:23

Update, I called the Doctor's office and the nurse promised someone would get back to me early. In the meantime, I am not taking my dose of Lipitor today and I ate a non Atkins breakfast of PBJ on whole wheat. That will give me 1 1/2 days worth of carbs.

Not sleeping and being in pain is not worth a notch on the belt.

JCSS Tue, Jan-13-04 11:52

Second update, the nurse called back. I am to add Potassium (I was already taking magnesium and calcium) and stop the Lipitor for ten days.
Back to low carbing!

cs_carver Tue, Jan-13-04 14:04

Lipitor can be trouble

My mother had to stop taking it. Joe Graydon talks about it in his weekly column about pharmaceuticals. Not all doctors understand the muscle pain connection.

Don't want to give medical advice but you won't catch me taking that one.

Sprissy Tue, Jan-13-04 17:22

Problem resolved

HI,
I am taking Lipitor and I have had the same problems. I went off the Lipitor for about 2 weeks and the pains stopped almost immediately. Unfortunately my cholesterol jumped way up. I went back on the Lipitor and added an over the counter potassium and the leg cramps stopped. I might add that I take Coral Calcium which I swear by because it seems to help well in digesting foods.

doreen T Tue, Jan-13-04 17:40

Statin cholesterol-lowering drugs can cause a severe breakdown of muscle tissue, called rhabdomyolosis. While the muscles can heal eventually, the problem is that the by-products of the rapid cell breakdown travel in the bloodstream to the kidneys, where they can cause significant damage by clogging the filtration system. All statin drugs have this a potential side effect to a greater or lesser degree. .. Lipitor reportedly is very low risk, Baycol is very high risk and has been pulled of the market.

Sticking to low carb is a good idea :) Eat plenty of vegetables and other sources of fiber .. flax seeds, psyllium etc. And drink lots and lots of water to keep your kidneys flushed.

Doreen

JCSS Wed, Jan-14-04 06:13

I cut out the Lipitor, with Doctor's permission. Added the potasium. Last night, I slept the whole night through and the pain is pretty much gone.