Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Struggle to drink water (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=106781)

Bxnz Tue, May-20-03 15:51

Struggle to drink water

I really struggle to drink the minimum 8 glasses of water a day. I keep a water bottle with me almost all the time but i just cant seem to fit those 8 glasses of water in a day (I really do try). I am a competitive squash player (5 competition games a week) so you think i could manage it!!! :(
:( Does anyone else have the same problem??

Shelley J Tue, May-20-03 15:59

Ahhhh, but once you get into it....

You will find yourself wondering how you went so long without it.

Perhaps try a mini goal: Treat your body to 20 glasses a day for say- a week or so. I find that if I don't use a big water bottle it's a little harder.

So, get a big water bottle, and swill it down. Then wait a short while and swill some more.

You'll be peeing a lot at first, but you will be so happy. You will feel better and you may even get a little whoosh action.

Try it.

faeriegirl Tue, May-20-03 16:48

I too have a very hard time drinking water... I just don't feel thirsty, and drinking it can be a chore. When i read your post saying 8 glasses a day, I was thinking that i often don't get in more than 4... then i read the next post saying 20!! I don't understand how someone can even consume 20 glasses of water a day, without living in the bathroom...

Gimmpy Tue, May-20-03 17:52

Before doing Atkins I don't believe I drank straight water for several years only Pop's and Tea. For me that was the biggest challenge for me to over come.
I solved the problem this way. I have a large mug that shows the amount of water in oz. So I told my self no decaf-tea until alter I drank the 8 glass of water for that day.
For breakfast I drink 16 oz.
another 8 oz with my mid-morning snack of cheese. (helps to fill me up as well)
16 oz of water for Lunch.
another 8 oz with my afternoon snack.
Then for the last 16 oz , my evening meal.
That takes care of 8 glasses of water right there.
At first it was a chore, now I'm so use to it that I usually drink far more than those amounts.
In the last month I've not had to make any Tea at all. Its just all water now.
Hope that gives you some ideas. Just got to find what will work for you.
Good Luck.

red1cutie Tue, May-20-03 17:54

I convince myself that it will help flush out fat. Plus the fact is the more water you drink the less water you retain because you body does not hold on to it since it "knows" it will be getting a regular supply.

So drink up! :D

Peace
red

gracecame Wed, May-21-03 00:50

I had the exact same problem and posted about it; got some great advice.

Now I have a large cup, holds 4 cups of water. I fill it with room temp water first thing in the morning. I keep it at my side and just pick it up and drink. When I think I can only take 6 swallows I push myself to ten. Midday glass one is gone.

Often I'm still struggling with glass two late in the evening. BUT, it's a contract I've made with myself and frankly, I don't think I'd sleep well less I finished it.

Like most things about this WOL, water is a decision.

Good luck to you! :)

Angelmommy Wed, May-21-03 01:08

I am struggling with the same problem....never was a big water drinker. One thing I realized was to drink it fast...if you sip on it , it wont amount to much. I like mine cold and actually it does refresh me. I also buy it in the 16 oz bottles its more convieniant that way [I can take it with me] and I can keep track better of how much I drink. I do spend more time peeing in the bathroom but from what I've heard that will eventually lesson. I try to keep in mind that its flushing out that terrible fat from my body and actually I am less bloated. I can tell that cause all my rings keep falling off my fingers...never had that problem before...lol !!! One good thing summer is coming and actually water is very refreshing on a hot summer day.

Good luck !!!!

We can do this together !!!

Support= Success

Traci :wave:

nonnamamma Wed, May-21-03 06:53

Does it really make that big of a difference?
I hear everyone say I need to drink it but I just can't
do it1 the thought of it just makes me have the chills!
8- 8oz glasses a day? Everone says that it is just in my
head, but my taste buds are on my tounge. Help me change my mind PLEASE!

Shelley J Wed, May-21-03 09:59

Quote:
Does it really make that big of a difference?

YES!

Try a squeeze of lemon in it. Or some sugar free syrup (I know that sounds weird) but I tried a splash of vanilla syrup and to me it tasted just like cream soda (with out the fizz)

Anyway, yes it makes a big difference and once you get used to it for about a week, you will start liking it. Our bodies need water.

Good luck!

jedswife Wed, May-21-03 11:14

try lemon w a packet of splenda tastes like lemonade.

also i love FRUIT2O it is also flavored spring water w splenda tastes excellent.

i just hate hate plain water.

Annie-Pie Wed, May-21-03 11:42

Water, water everywhere...

Boy--I sure can relate to having a hard time drinking water! Quite a few years ago, after kidney stone surgeries, the need to drink more water became much more apparant.

Water is not only a way of life for me now, but it comes natural for our children to drink, drink, drink as well! We bought a PUR water filter and the water tastes great (any water filter will help)! But I cannot even imagine starting out with 20 botlles a day as a mini-step if you can't even handle 8. Try the advice above to drink in the morning, afternoon, evening. One thing that I do is go to the kitchen sink first thing in the morning and drink it down! Another before meals.

Remember the most important thing: you are giving your body a refreshment! You are cleansing impurities, your organs are getting a good cleaning out, your blood will be better, skin won't be so dry, and your complexion will look younger! And...even though this sounds gross, if you go to the dr for a physical and they ask you to do your duty in the little plastic cup, the nurses will usually comment "You drink alot of water, don' tyou?"

Drink water ahead of your thirst; if you wait until you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. So try, try, try. The 20 bottles to start is meant with very good intentions...try to double what you are drinking now and ask yourself after one week if you feel better. Your kidneys will accustom to it, and you won't go to the restroom as much as you think!

Another tip is we buy cases of it at our local Club warehouses, and before we leave in the car for anywhere, it is a habit to just pick up a bottle and voila! We have it! (Does anyone feel guilty for buying water and then realize that we spent a fortune in the past for pop? Now we spend $ instead on what is good for us)! Sometimes during the summer, we take a couple out of the fridge and hand one to the road construction flaggers. Now that is a hoot! Good luck Donna and keep trying. Your weightloss will be more speedy as well. Hugs, Annie-Pie
:wave: :cheer:

nonnamamma Tue, May-27-03 07:04

Shelly & Jedswife,
Thank Ya'll I will surely try these! Hey if Lemon{Has carbs}
can be added and still concidered WATER
What about Kool-Aid {Has No Carbs}
Why is it no longer concidered Water? And most importantly, What about Caffeine Free Tea and Equil/Splenda ect.? And is Splenda as good as Equal? Everyone seems to be using it instead ! {as far as taste and carbs}
Annie ,
Thanks for your post I totaly understand, However if I double what I drink in water, Well lets just see 0x2=0 LOL ! I know I have to grow up and change that ! I made a Promise to everyone on my thread {I need Help! }
that I will drink at least 1 glass of water today, tomorrow I will have something to double, hopefully, LOL, No just kidding I will.
Thanks Ya'll,
Donna

jamian Tue, May-27-03 08:44

I like ice water with lemon or lime twists, makes it seem so much nicer, like you would get at a restauant.

I also do wht others have suggested, pouring a big cup and making yourself drink it before a certain time of day.

Water dilutes all the accumulated metabolites in your body adn allows them to be filtered out by the kidneys. Espeacialy good to filter out excess sodium which will stop water retention and lead to lower scale readings. Wierd, I know, but drinking water does keep you from retaining water.

Jamian

Coriolis Tue, May-27-03 08:58

I hear you. Pre-Atkins, I'd never considered just drinking water, as I generally have enough coffe/tea or milk during the day to never feel dehydrated -- however, I'm learning now that was incorrect thinking. So starting to drink lots of water was also (and is still) difficult for me.

But as someone mentioned above -- once you start, it gets easier. What I did was start drinking diet tonic water -- which I then found out had aspartame, so I canned that, and went with club soda. It's nice and fizzy and refreshing. I drink about 2 liters per day, and then top that off with a big glass of plain old water at lunch and a big glass at dinner. I've only started this routine for the last couple days (I'm on day #7 of induction), so I don't have any results to flaunt, but at least my daily constitution is starting to get, umm, more *regular*. ;)

mrschmelz Tue, May-27-03 09:17

I was a 5 or 6 cans of coke a day drinker that used to drink about 20 ounces of water a day pre atkins. Now only two liquids go in my body......water and beer :D I easily drink around 100 ounces of water a day and even more on days when I intensely exercise. Easiest way for me is to sip on the water all day, I find doing that I can easily put away 20 ounces in an hour.