Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Hi - am newbie! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=150882)

sazzle Tue, Nov-25-03 06:20

Hi - am newbie!

Hello there

Have just registered after having a read through your posts

I got the books and started CAD 2 days ago - seems ok so far. I really identified with all the stories of trying to lose weight for years and just getting fatter and fatter - I weighed 138lbs when I was 18 (after being a chubby kid) and thought that was fat - oh to be 138 now!

Just a couple of questions for all you experts out there:-

1)I;ve read a lot about balancing the RM - which I know CAD doesn't really talk about - but since I'm new should I just see how I go. I am having a proper meal including protein and veggies as well as starchy and sweet carbs and a glass of wine - I'm not going mad with carbs, so is there any need to worry about how balanced it is at this satge?

2)how much should I expect to lose in the first couple of weeks - is it more like a couple of pounds a week on this rather than the Atkins style 10lbs that I've heard about

3)does it matter if there is sugar listed in a salad dressing provided it is less than 2 carbs per serving (or is it per 100ml??)

Thanks for any help - really hoping this is going to be the way of eating that finally tackles my life long weight problem :wave:

Jalera2003 Tue, Nov-25-03 09:02

Hi, Sazzle, and welcome to the board. I will take a stab at your questions:

1) When I first started I read only the old white CAD book and I lost lots of weight not balancing my reward meals. Then I bought CALP and was honestly kinda PO'd at the Hellers for making "my diet" more strick. I decided I would continue to not balance as long as I continued to lose weight. Later I got to the point where the scale stopped moving and I decided to embrace balancing for the sake of weight loss. Thats not really an answer, more of a personal experience shared.

2)I lost about 3 lbs the (first) first week. I think it depends on what you've been doing previously. I say first first because I have restarted a few time. My second and third "first week" were less spectacular. No you will likely not lose 10 lbs like the Adkinsers do.

3) I believe the Hellers say a salad dressing is ok as long as sugar is not in the first four listed ingredients.

I hope this helps.

Vel Tue, Nov-25-03 11:10

Welcome, sazzle! I hope you find CAD to be wonderful, as I have.

a) When I started CAD, I found it easy to overlook the part where the Hellers talked about a "balanced mini-feast". It is in the first CAD book that your reward meal should be balanced, but certainly not stressed to the extent it is in CALP. However, as I have gone along I have strived toward more balance and now my meals almost always consist of LC veggies, protein and carb, although certainly not in perfect proportion. However, rarely do I have a meal that leaves out the protein or the veggies... and that was quite common for me at first. I think the sooner you strive for balance the better, but on the other hand, your RM has to be enjoyable for you too, to encourage you to stay on CAD. Strive for it, but don't stress it.

b) I lost 9.5 lbs in the first week, and 2 in the second. But, I was coming off of major carb bingeing, so I know a lot of it was straight water. Everyone is different in this, but generally CAD is not a quick fix program.

c) I only check the carb count of salad dressings, not the ingredients. I keep to under 2g carb/serving.

Good luck with it all, and if you have more questions.. ask away!

sazzle Tue, Nov-25-03 11:38

:yay:

Thanks so much - this seems like such a lovely friendly supportive board

I'm still at the amazed stage :hyper: that I can eat 2 CMs in the day(including things that I've spent so may years thinking were "bad " and unhealthy - like cheese and mayo) and not be the slightest bit bothered by chocolate, crisps, bread etc........and then I can have it anyway later on

Will let you all know how i get on!

muweek Tue, Nov-25-03 11:55

Welcome Sazzle! I too had to change my way of thinking to include the foods I was always told were too high fat/sodium whatever! This plan is the total opposite of what has been drilled into us over the years following low fat and I am so thankful I have found this plan (now if I could just buckle down and get a kick start I'd be laughing!) :p

Tess M Tue, Nov-25-03 11:58

Another welcome, Sazzle.. My loss hasn't been as dramatic, but there are some factors working against me, such as age and hormones.. :rolleyes: But it's been good overall--averaging about 3 pounds per month. It's really never a consistent loss each week though--some weeks the scale doesn't move, and others I might have a 3 pound drop. So--patience is very necessary (at least in my case)...
Wishing you all the best. Hope that you will enjoy CAD...

quikdeb Tue, Nov-25-03 15:53

CAD is nothing short of a miracle. It can have it's slow, uncooperative times, but so worth it in the end. The up side is that when the scale isn't going down, it is almost never going up. Seems once the pounds are gone, they stay gone.

You'll love it here. It's a great place with lots of caring, supportive people.

Welcome,
Deb