Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ketosis - Is it that Simple? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163087)

bébéfat Thu, Jan-29-04 01:55

Ketosis - Is it that Simple?

Hello All,

First, just to say how much I love this forum! People seem so kind and supportive. It's a real community. I find it particularly helpful to be able to come to this place for information and support as I live in Switzerland where low-carbing has certainly not caught on.

A question about ketosis. Is it safe to say that if I am in ketosis then I am not eating too many carbs and am in my optimal weight loss state?

I have been using ketosis as a indicator for if I am eating too many carbs/not tolerating sugar alchohols, etc.

So, is it that simple? Ketosis = not over-carbing = weight loss?

Thanks so much for your answers!
Bébéfat

bébéfat Thu, Jan-29-04 07:55

Ketosis = Not eating too many carbs?

Hi!

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to say that if I am in ketosis then I am not eating too many carbs/the wrong foods?

From the things that I have read it seems that the weight loss process really kicks in for most people when they are in ketosis, and that when they eat too many carbs or something that doesn't agree with them (such as alchohol sugars), then they go out of ketosis.

I am not counting my carbs, just staying away from the evil ones and trying to use discretion -- except for the low carb protein bars ...... they are sooooo good! :yum:

So I was wondering, can I assume that if my sticks are still turning pink and purple that I am doing good and am on the happy trail to weightloss? :angel:

Thanks for your advice and input!

Bèbèfat

LadyBelle Thu, Jan-29-04 08:57

The sticks can turn colors thanks to diatary fat as well. Also alcohol is converted to keotenes and can show on the sticks.

Just go by your weight loss. Some lose well without ever having enough excess keotenes to show on the sticks. If you are going way overboard on the protien bars, then you may find no weight loss regardless of the sticks.

OHGal1415 Thu, Jan-29-04 09:33

Another sure-fire indicator of ketosis is loss of appetite. When you get to the point where you FORGET to eat, simply because you're not hungry, then pat yourself on the back! You're in REAL ketosis!

JayceeMn Thu, Jan-29-04 10:02

Another sure-fire indicator of ketosis is loss of appetite. When you get to the point where you FORGET to eat, simply because you're not hungry, then pat yourself on the back! You're in REAL ketosis!

Wow, I never knew that--I fell so much better becasue that's where I'm at, making sure that I eat my meal because I forget and I thought that was so odd--since I've been obsessed with foor all my life!

Karen Thu, Jan-29-04 10:05

You sound really excited and happy with your new way of eating. Congratulations!

To answer your question, well, yes and no. :)

If you're relying on the ketostix as the indicator of ketosis, no. The sticks also register dietary fat being burned as well as alcohol. If you're drinking enough water, the colour will be light.

Go by how your body feels...frequent trips to the potty, funny taste in your mouth and some people report feeling hot or tingly. That's real ketosis. :)

Here's more ketosis information

The Colour of Ketostix?

I am not in ketosis any longer why??

When one achieves ketosis, does the body stay there steadily?

Ketosis = Weight Loss??

Does dietary fat get broken down into ketones, too?

Ketosis and Ketoacidosis - The Difference Between Them

Karen

bébéfat Thu, Jan-29-04 12:34

Thanks for all of the tips everyone!

There is a lot of learning to do. I guess that the hardest thing to learn in this WOL is to really starting listening to and knowing our bodies.

I have almost always been a touch overweight but when I got pregnant with my son two years ago, I put on 57 pounds by the end of my pregnancy. Some of it came off right away since he was a huge baby, but the rest has never gone away.

I'm happy to be doing this. Am going to try really hard to stick with it. And will guard as my moto, "If it first you don't suceed, then try try again".

Thanks again,
Bébéfat