Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Another random question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178438)

Melessalyn Tue, Apr-13-04 18:29

Another random question

How often do you weigh yourself?
:rolleyes:

sliver Tue, Apr-13-04 18:40

When I lost weight a few years back I ran to the scale almost after every time I ate something....OBSESSIVE...

NOW....
because of daily fluctuations, water weight, time of day, TOM,etc. I jump on every Sunday morn and that is it.

Also if I have a little fall I still mostly have a little time to make it up.

katwoman Tue, Apr-13-04 19:09

Once a week normally. I have to watch it or I get too hung up on the number and don't see my progress in other areas.

tcastro Tue, Apr-13-04 19:14

I weigh myself every morning, but never get hung up on the number.

orchidday Tue, Apr-13-04 19:17

I weigh myself once a week on Monday morning as soon as I get up. Weighing myself at other times of the week just leads to frustrations and mood swings! The daily fluctuations are too wide to be accurate in any sort of way :).

Orchid

Paris Tue, Apr-13-04 19:21

I weight daily - nekkid after using the facilities.

rapp653 Wed, Apr-14-04 03:56

Weighing

WAY TOO OFTEN! I'm a scalaholic!

My suggestion is to weigh once a week (wish I could follow that advice) and also measure yourself that way if the scale isn't moving the tape measure usually is and you don't get discouraged! My tape measure has kept me from doing mean things to my scale! :)

Good Luck!
Barb

d'lyn Wed, Apr-14-04 11:07

I started out weighing every morning and every night. Then I realized I was swayed by the numbers, good or bad. So I decided to keep it to once a week. Old habits are hard to break though, so I have hopped on the scale a couple of extra times. If I'm up I get depressed and discouraged. So I have gotten better at using how I feel, how my clothes fit, and how I look in the mirror be used as my "scale".

RCFletcher Thu, Apr-15-04 05:49

Daily. Sudden gains can then often be tracked down to something I ate the day before.

Quest Thu, Apr-15-04 05:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris
I weight daily - nekkid after using the facilities.

Me too. But I don't think that any small increase necessarily corresponds to what I did the day before, though not eating after 6 p.m. often seems to cause a small downshift.

AFwife Thu, Apr-15-04 06:04

:lol: No really I step on it everyday, anywhere from 5-10 times a day. I'm a scale freak.

PecanPie Thu, Apr-15-04 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
Daily. Sudden gains can then often be tracked down to something I ate the day before.

I also weigh daily but given that I have a lot to lose and get that the longer I take to lose it the better off I am I don't get hung up on the numbers, but I do track them in fit day and before that, using excel. I do find that trends emerge and if I pay attention to them I learn something - which has helped a lot in not letting the numbers dictate my mood. After spending a month or more in the same two pounds up and down the only thing I could see was that maybe for me I do have to watch calories. Since starting that (and I am not talking 1200 calories, more like 1600-1800 per day) I have seen a slightly faster loss, but I still have days where it jumps up for no real reason. There has yet to be a pattern, at least one that I can detect, to explain it, so it is just one of those things that has probably always happened but which I never noticed.

Weighing is like everything else - YMMV - you have to know how you will react to it before you decide to do it. If it is going to ruin your day maybe you shouldn't do it.

PecanPie

Vicki B. Thu, Apr-15-04 09:09

I weigh everyday 2 times a day. I weigh first thing in the morning before getting in the shower (the weight I count) and then I also weigh at night before going to bed. This gives me a sense of "accountability" and keeps me on track. If that makes sense. We all do what we have to do to keep our motivation up! :)

Vicki B.

loserbaby Thu, Apr-15-04 10:01

I too am a scale junky. At least twice a day. I know I should stop doing this. If you are not already a scale junky, DON"T become one. If I could, I would only weigh myself once a week.

girliegrly Thu, Apr-15-04 11:33

hey melessalyn,

i am really strict about wieghing myself only once a week. i tend to get obsessive when i weigh myself more than once a week, so i try to really be disciplined. you can say that i'm a recovering scale-a-holic...weighing yourself once a day or every other day leads to 2 or 3 times a day...and so on... :lol:

GG