Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   LC Hot Chocolate... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=152345)

mom2haylee Thu, Dec-04-03 15:51

LC Hot Chocolate...

This is a really simple recipe and I'm sure many of you who love Hot Chocolate (like i do) have already made this! It's no masterpiece creation but it sure cured my Hot Chocolate craving! Now just keep in mind this isn't going to be as creamy as normal Hot Chocolate because you're not using milk! But I love it!

1 Tbsp. Unsweetened Powdered Cocoa~1 Carb!
2 Pkts. Splenda~1 Carb!
3/4 C. Water~0 Carbs!
1 Tbsp. Heavy Whipping Cream~1 Carb!
4 Tbsp. Whip Cream~1 Carb!
Cinnamon & Nutmeg to taste~0 Carbs!

Mix Cocoa and Splenda in coffee mug. Add 1 Tbsp. water and mix til it makes a paste! Add remaining water and microwave for 1 minute! Stir and add Heavy Whipping Cream. Stir again then top with Whip Cream, Nutmeg and Cinnamon! Enjoy!

TOTAL CARBS...4! This carb count is based on the brands that I used! I suggest counting as you make it as your carb count may be different!

Rosebud Thu, Dec-04-03 16:52

Quote:
2 Pkts. Splenda~1 Carb!

Actually, 2 packets of Splenda will give you 2 carbs. ;)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

mom2haylee Thu, Dec-04-03 21:13

You're probably right...

My Splenda packets show for 1 packet less than 1 carb. So MY general rule when it says less than 1 I account it for 1/2 or .5. But it's probably better to count it as one.

mind-full Sun, Dec-14-03 13:12

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard of others adding a dash of guar or xanthan gum to their LC hot cocoa for that thicker mouth feel. I'm planning to concoct some tonight and may try that.

One little Christmas extra which is really delicious is to get a SF candy cane (our WalMart has them) and stir the cocoa with it, using about 1/4 of the cane. The bit of mint flavor is delicious. I'm sure a tiny drop of peppermint extract would work equally well, but isn't quite as Christmasy!

---Amy

mind-full Tue, Dec-16-03 05:59

Okay, I tried the guar and it did the trick. In a 10 oz. mug I added about 1/4 (maybe 1/3) tsp. and it gave the extra thickening without feeling slimy.

If you're unsure, use less, or stay with the thin liquid.

---Amy

phatchic Wed, Mar-10-04 01:02

im in Canada and they HAVE TO put the nutritional values of everything. they cant say "0" if under 1 carb and the packets of splenda i have say .5 carbs per pack

jazzfan Sun, Dec-18-05 16:24

This deserves a bump. Absolutely marvelous hot chocolate!!

barefoot1 Mon, Jan-16-06 12:56

If you want a thicker hot chocolate, try "drinking chocolate" as opposed to "hot cocoa".

I purchased some of the Dagoba unsweetened drinking chocolate mix and make drinking chocolate on the stov top with some half and half, a little bit of water and some AS.

I am a partially reformed chocoholic, so this works better for me.

Barefoot

Missie Mon, Jan-30-06 20:49

mmmmmmmm.. thx for the post. I'm searching hot choc for a camping trip in a few weeks. I know my girls'll have it, and I'll want some too.
I'll try it tomorrow and come up with a way to fix it in the woods.