Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Eggs!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90400)

IdahoMom Tue, Mar-04-03 13:50

Eggs!!

How many eggs do you eat a day? Are you tired of them yet? Any new ideas for cooking them? I'm tired of scrambled, fried, hard boiled, soft boiled, the usual methods.

Kragness1 Tue, Mar-04-03 13:58

I usually eat three in the morning, usually scrambled. I sometimes add diced ham and cheese for an omlete.

S_Hysmith Tue, Mar-04-03 14:05

My wife and I, between us, are personally responsible for annihilating the output of a small chicken farm. :lol: We've started buying the 2-dozen cartons at Costco, two or three at a time!

Poached eggs, baked eggs with heavy cream and cheese, deviled eggs with mayo, bacon bits and hot sauce, spinach quiche, bacon quiche, custard with cinnamon, and of course hollandaise sauce, which goes with a LOT of interesting foods! :D

In fact, here's a nice simple lemon hollandaise for you, to inspire you to experiment:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Hollandaise

Recipe By :Scott Hysmith
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 each egg yolks, whole
2 sticks butter -- chilled
1/2 each lemon -- juiced
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

Whisk egg yolks in pan with a few drops lemon juice until smooth

Cut butter into about 8 pieces. Place one piece in pan

Heat over medium low until butter starts to melt.

Continue stirring constantly, but gently, adding a new butter pat each time the last one is melted. (Make sure not to hard-cook the egg.)

When all the butter is melted, add tarragon, white pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Serve immediately

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 323 Calories; 35g Fat (95.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 260mg Cholesterol; 318mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 6 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : If the sauce "breaks" while preparing, it can be repaired as follows:
Whip a whole egg with a small amount of liquid (melted butter, lemon juice or water) until quite smooth.
Drizzle slowly into sauce while whisking over low heat
Your sauce should smooth out and be ready to serve

Pooch Tue, Mar-04-03 14:05

Seems like I buy a dozen every day or so. Not only do I eat them but they seem to be in a lot of lc receipes.

lkonzelman Tue, Mar-04-03 14:11

Went through a month were I couldn't bear them but i'm back.

Usually two a day for breakfast but I also like egg salad and hard boiled eggs and then I add to many recipes...

Protein good!

Tiggerdy Tue, Mar-04-03 14:12

I know all too well what you're feeling right about now. I can usually do eggs scrambled in butter for a while, but then I just simply get burned out on them. Have you tried a mock danish? Some people don't like them, but I've found that they're quite the treat and a nice deviation from the norm.

If you're interested, go up to the orange bar at the top and select 'Low Carb Recipes.' You'll find the mock danish recipe (and all the variations) as well as many other alternatives to eggs.

Best of luck!
Nikki :daizy:

oakejs Tue, Mar-04-03 14:14

I have a mock danish every morning for breakfast. Yumm. :)

Tiggerdy Tue, Mar-04-03 14:25

Mock Danish

I like it best when the lemon is omitted, cinnamon is added and a pat of butter is put on to melt after it's done cooking. Tastes a lot like french toast-- I think Nat came up w/that variation. Sooo yummy!

janny Tue, Mar-04-03 14:30

We are buying lots of eggs too. Omelettes, deviled, scambled with chives, scrambled with bacon, boiled, over easy, over hard. I really like them poached but that brings the impulse for toast so I stay away from them. I have always loved eggs!!!!

vbrowne Tue, Mar-04-03 14:32

I go from month to month - 1 month about 2 - 3 a day, then I hate them and have to leave them alone for another month, then back.

Vikki

UAGirl Tue, Mar-04-03 17:59

I adore eggs. I have them EVERY day for breakfast and probably teice a week for dinner. Also hard boiled & deviled for snacks. Give me another month and I'll be sick of them too. :)

How about a quiche? That always seems to not seem like your eating eggs. I like Cheeseburger Quiche, Broccoli, Ham and cheese quiche, Taco Quiche...you can do anything you like to it!! :)

raze Tue, Mar-04-03 18:10

I brought back 2 doz eggs with me monday morning when I returned home after staying at my parents for reading week.
Its now tuesday, and I stopped on the way home from class today and bought two 18 packs of eggs.
I average a dozen a day, but hey, they're cheap and good for you!
ANd my cholesterol is still well within a decent range, so I'm not worried about that (but I cant say the same for my parents... arg... I have to hide how many I eat from them, they think I eat 1/3 of what I do and arestill worried).

red1cutie Tue, Mar-04-03 18:11

Last week I had alot of eggs about five a day, all hardboiled. The week before three a day fried in butter. This week I have had 6. I might cut down to two at a meal.

red

achio4444 Tue, Mar-04-03 18:44

Egg Phases....

I go through phases with eggs...Sometimes I will eat 4-5/day for two weeks, then the next week, the thought of eggs sends me wretching towards the rest room. Wonder why that is???

I have been having 2-3 fried eggs with bacon for the last week or so, so my repulsion should soon return....

Amy :D

jplush76 Tue, Mar-04-03 18:53

I'm in the no egg phase right now after eating eggs all the time.

I have an atkins muffin or some atkins pancakes(ya get used to em)

I'll probably go back to eggs in a week or so