Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   your REAL goal?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103848)

lcmema Wed, May-07-03 18:45

your REAL goal??

I am 56 years old (ouch), diabetic, and 40-50 lbs overweight. Besides losing weight, my real goal is to once again ride a bike! It's been at least 30 years since I've ridden one, (you never forget how, right??) I haven't told anyone, and I'm sure it's a stupid goal, but it's something I really want to do again. I'll probably lose the pounds, get on a bike, break my neck, and regain all the weight from the hospital IV's. Am I crazy, or what!?

2bthinner! Wed, May-07-03 18:53

Get on my horse without the chair.

Actually, that isn't a weight issue, but a back issue. I learned this past August that I have two herniated lumbar disks. I've worked with a chiropractor and done alot of walking and exercises (though not of late) with light weights. Heaviest was 12 pounds. You should have seen his face when I asked him if I could ride my horse yet. :D

I did it too. But, I used a chair to get on as I have to lift my foot as high as my butt to get my foot in the stirrup and that curves my lower back. Had a great ride though, (she's gaited) and my back didn't hurt me. In fact, these days it doesn't feel as if anything is wrong with it. But, less weight to carry around is bound to help.

Also, I bet you could ride a bike now. :thup: :)

lcmema Wed, May-07-03 18:56

bike

I could try it now, but I WILL NOT sit on a bike seat with my butt hanging off both sides!

AmyTN Wed, May-07-03 18:57

You're not crazy, & that's a great goal! All of us want something in addition to losing weight & becoming more healthy. To recapture some activity that brings us happiness is a wonderful goal. Biking makes perfect sense to me, what a wonderful sense of freedom & symbol of movement/progress. Stick with it & you'll not only lose weight, but achieve your other goals as well. It's important not to just focus on some magic # on the scale. Good luck!
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

chysmith Wed, May-07-03 20:37

I agree with Amy-Lynne. It's really important to have goals other than the number on the scale. Before when I've worked out, I was just kind of numb to it, just wanted to work out because that was what I should be doing. Now I have a goal of walking a 10K for a walk in July. I have much more energy and enthusiasm when I work out now. I know that I'm getting closer to my goal and it feels great! You're definitely not crazy! Being able to ride a bike again is a great goal!

motis Wed, May-07-03 20:44

That's not a silly goal at all!! If you want to hear a silly one, then listen to mine....

What I want is to put on one of those cute belly shirts and get my belly button peirced. :eek:

If I told anyone that knew me what my secret desire was, they'd think I had lost my mind. I've never been a "wild and crazy" gal, but it's something that's been in the back of my mind since I started LCing. By next summer I'll be thin and bleeding from the navel. LOL!!

~Angi~

chysmith Wed, May-07-03 21:20

:lol: I want to do the same thing! I'm just hoping that by the time my tummy is trim enough, belly shirts wont be a thing of the past!

gracecame Wed, May-07-03 23:57

My goal is simple. To be healthy and live longer! Maybe losing 20 pounds won't matter much; but I think it will.

I know it will make me feel better and I'm up for a belly shirt myself LOL (passing on the piercing).

I want to see my Grandchildren grow up. I would love to bike or rollerblade with them. So many goals.......so little time...... :D

abbey Thu, May-08-03 00:23

My real goals are to compete in a shorter distance triathlon and to do an unassisted headstand in yoga.

I's also like to get into a smaller pair of pants, but weight isn't really my focus :)

Riding a bike is good for making your butt smaller as well!

BarbCA Thu, May-08-03 05:21

Near here, in the Sierra Wilderness, is a Huckleberry lake. It is seventeen miles from the trailhead. Since I first heard of it I
ve wanted to go there.
I haven't backpacked in 10 years and am trying to get in shape to do this sometime this summer.
Wondering if my creaky, old bones will be able to sleep on the ground again. :D

yvonne326 Thu, May-08-03 06:17

My real goal (and probably a stupid one because of my age) is to wear hip-hugging shorts without my fat tummy sticking out and to get my belly-button pierced. Yeah...I know...I'm TOO OLD for that but I never had the chance to do either when I was younger and I just want to...for myself. Needless to say DH will think I'm nuts (my eldest daughter thinks its a great idea - - she's 16)

whyspers Thu, May-08-03 06:49

LOL, Yvonne!!! That's not really my real goal, but I've always wanted to get my bellybutton pierced! I don't know if my hubby will let me, but if I ever get to where I'm going (or I should say when) that's definately something I'm going to bring up :)

My real goal...hmmm...to look better than my hubby's ex at my step-daughter's college graduation next year...lol. I know that's petty, but she's such a tiny thing and for some reason, my brain screams that there is no way my hubby is going to take a look at her and then take a look at me and wonder what the heck was wrong with him...lol.

L

yvonne326 Thu, May-08-03 08:52

Have any of you lowered your goals - weight or other since starting?

BrewWa Thu, May-08-03 09:01

Real Goals

Good thread.

I have a couple of goals that aren't number related.

1. I want to take some of the stress off my joints (hips, knees).

2. I want to prove to all the nay sayers that Dr A WAS right; "it's not the fat that makes you fat". It's the low fat way of living that's dangerous!

Cheers!

BrewWA

Ashtaroth Thu, May-08-03 10:04

goal

My secret goal is to take a circus class this fall. I used to be a trampolinist so I took a couple circus classes last year to try and get back into shape, but quickly realized that you really need to already be in shape to do that kind of stuff.

Hanging from a trapeze, scarves, or hoops requires a lot of upper body strength, good abs, and a lighter weight which are all the things I hope to have by the time classes start up again in September!

-Ashtaroth