Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   New and Scared!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=89232)

MaddieMay Wed, Feb-26-03 19:00

New and Scared!!

Hi!!

I am new to LCing and am really scared! I did Atkins induction diet for a week, but decided that I liked the Schwarzbein Principle better. I only have 8 pounds to loose, but am sick and tired of being sick and tired to do it. I lost 20 lb with WW, but HATE the thought of having to continue the program. I just cannot count points any longer. I also am a very good cheater!!! I ate junk all day, but did stay within my points.

I've been LCing for 10 days now.
I don't know that I've lost any weight and I swear my belly's gettin' bigger. I realize that it's that TOM and this isn't a great time to weigh. I am 5ft 10in and want to weigh around 140-145. Is this realistic, or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm tired of relying on a number on the scale for my self worth! I really do feel better, other than being scared I'll gain weight. I have more energy, feel more sane and do feel more in control. Maybe this is a good trade off for being thin? I do, however, want both.

Some questions I have are, how do you know if you're eating too much food? I know how to count the carbs, but how do you do the rest? I guess I am just really afraid that I'll fail at this attempt, too. I want to learn to eat normally and in a healthy way. I am tired of obsessing. Any suggestions or help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

tigersue Wed, Feb-26-03 21:08

Hello there,
1st keep reading the book!!!! that is the best way to ease fears.
Focus on health not weight. It is possible that you might gain weight at first, think more about how you feel. HEALTH is the big key here. We live in a society based on weight, and thin bodies.
2nd. Don't worry about the rest eat to when you are satisfied. You might find you are eating so much at first as your body loads on the nutrients it needs, this is okay. Don't look at the scale, you can start to load your muscles and bones and they weigh more than fat. If you think you are triggering an insulin response (abd fat), then cut down slightly on the carb count.
3rd. LIFT weights. Ultimately this will help you more than anything else in the long run. Don't worry about bulking up, most women can't put on that kind of muscle. There are many good plans for resistance training, but I really believe this is the best thing you can do. You will probably put on weight doing this, BUT you should see your measurements decrease, and with only a few pounds to loose you might see a difference quickly.
4. Start a journal here, and VISIT other journals. Most people will come into your journal once you have visited there. Ask questions, read, and visit. This can be a great support system but you have to be actively involved. Don't expect others just to drop into your journal, you have to post in others for someone to know you are there. :)
5. Eat lots of allowable veggies.
6. Take the supplements you need.
Remember this should be for life, don't beat yourself up for cheats, try to learn from it and all will be well with you.
7. If possible see a doctor that will support you in this lifestyle change. Just a good idea to do anyway.
8. DRINK LOTS, and lots of water. This is marvelous. Trust me you have to be hydrated for your body to lose the extra fat.
Tanya

BethanyM Wed, Feb-26-03 21:44

Hi MaddieMay, welcome! I'm new here too - its only been a week and a half, and already I'm starting to get the hang of it and enjoy this new woe.
There's a great answer to your question about how much to eat -- if you go back to Feb. 23, its in a post called "Daily Musts? Daily Limits?" I found that answer SO helpful for me. I was feeling sick from Atkins, and from overeating fat and protein when I first started SP, and this post helped me listen to my body and eat just what I needed. I'm really feeling pretty good right now.

I haven't lost weight since on the SP yet. I gained a couple pounds and then lost them, so I'm right where I was when I started a week ago. I don't mind though. I'm finding I feel SANER than I have in years!! LOL. I'd forgotten what it felt like to feel balanced, not craving, not thinking about food, etc. There's so much else to do wtih my time.

I expect to slowly lose the weight on this plan, as my body adjusts. What I know for sure, though, is that my body will end up weighing what it needs to weigh for my maximal health. Because I'm eating what I need, rather than what I crave. I'm beginning to be able to tell the difference.

MaddieMay Thu, Feb-27-03 08:21

Thank-you so much for the replies ladies. It is nice to know that I have support. You're right, I do need to focus on how I feel more than the scales. I need to throw the doggone thing away!! LOL
I am noticing, though that my pants are getting tighter. AHHHHHHH!! How long does it take before I start loosing the weight? (I already know the answer. It depends on my body.) ha

I will follow your suggestions Tanya. I think that I've gotten so far away from 'trusting' my body to know what's right that it will take a while to readjust to this. I DO love the food I'm eating!! And I know that I can do this for the rest of my life which is refreshing! I think I will go right now to the journals and see what I can learn.

THanks again!

Paige

tigersue Thu, Feb-27-03 14:35

I always consider "cravings" bad, that is when I think I want candy, cake, deserts, all kinds of sweets, and even homemade bread as exactly that a "craving". When I want something, like meat, veggies, even occassionally some sort of starch like beans, whole grain cereal, starchy veggies, or fruit and okay "want". Generally my body needs something they can give me. I eat those in the right limit and I usually do great. Eat to satisfaction is the best term I have ever heard, and it really works in this way of eating. Once you feel like you have had enough, stop, even if there is more food on your plate. I was used to eating higher amount of carb, so your "eyes" may need retraining. All of that is okay. The trick is the really learn to "listen" to your body and it's needs. It is different for every person because we are not the same at all.
Tanya

MaddieMay Thu, Feb-27-03 15:19

Tanya,

You're right as far as eating to satisfaction. I can tell today that I just have not had enough to eat. I am HUNGRY. I just had some cream cheese and some peanut butter. I am 5ft 10in so obviously, I am going to eat more food than a lot of other people. It is hard to give myself permission to eat food until I'm satisfied. I'm used to gorging myself or starving. How do I know if I'm eating too much food?

Today I had a piece of bacon, a piece of sausage, a fried egg and toast with butter for breakfast. For a snack I had 1/4 c of cottage cheese and 2 hardboiled eggs. For lunch a big chef salad with ranch dressing. Snack--cream cheese and a peanut butter spoon. It is 4:30 and I am hungry. I'm afraid that my appetite is so big that I'm going to become huge. I quite frankly am tired of fear. Any suggestions?

Paige