Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Study: Low-Carb Diet More Effective Than Low-Fat Diet (+better for blood lipids!) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185929)

fracture Fri, May-21-04 06:15

The most recent Duke study on Atkins

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/summary/140/10/769

Monika4 Fri, May-21-04 06:27

New Study: Low-Carb Diet More Effective Than Low-Fat Diet (+better for blood lipids!)

http://healthorbit.ca/NewsDetail.as...nltid=119170504

DURHAM, N.C. -- People who followed a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet lost more weight than people on a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-calorie diet during a six-month comparison study at Duke University Medical Center. However, the researchers caution that people with medical conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure should not start the diet without close medical supervision.

"This diet can be quite powerful," said lead researcher Will Yancy, M.D., an assistant professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center and a research associate at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Durham, N.C. "We found that the low-carb diet was more effective for weight loss," Yancy added. "The weight loss surprised me, to be honest with you. We also found cholesterol levels seemed to improve more on a low-carb diet compared to a low-fat diet."

The study is the first randomized, controlled trial of an Atkins-style diet approach, which includes vitamin and nutritional supplements. Along with losing an average of 26 pounds, dieters assigned to the low-carbohydrate plan lost more body fat, and lowered their triglyceride levels and raised their HDL, or good cholesterol, more than the low-fat dieters. The low-fat dieters lost an average of 14 pounds. Though the low-fat diet group lowered their total cholesterol more than the low-carb dieters, the latter group nearly halved their triglycerides and their HDL jumped five points. The low-carbohydrate group reported more adverse physical effects, such as constipation and headaches, but fewer people dropped out of the low-carbohydrate diet than the low-fat diet. The results appear in the May 18, 2004, issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. The research was funded by an unrestricted grant from the Robert C. Atkins Foundation. The study authors have no financial interest in Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

Full scientific article (may require subscription):
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/140/10/769

Setting: Outpatient research clinic.
Participants: 120 overweight, hyperlipidemic volunteers from the community.
Intervention: Low-carbohydrate diet (initially, <20 g of carbohydrate daily) plus nutritional supplementation, exercise recommendation, and group meetings, or low-fat diet (<30% energy from fat, <300 mg of cholesterol daily, and deficit of 500 to 1000 kcal/d) plus exercise recommendation and group meetings.
(comment: For the first time, this sounds like they actually got real information and support!)
Results: A greater proportion of the low-carbohydrate diet group than the low-fat diet group completed the study (76% vs. 57%; P = 0.02). At 24 weeks, weight loss was greater in the low-carbohydrate diet group than in the low-fat diet group (mean change, –12.9% vs. –6.7%; P < 0.001). Patients in both groups lost substantially more fat mass (change, –9.4 kg with the low-carbohydrate diet vs. –4.8 kg with the low-fat diet) than fat-free mass (change, –3.3 kg vs. –2.4 kg, respectively). Compared with recipients of the low-fat diet, recipients of the low-carbohydrate diet had greater decreases in serum triglyceride levels (change, –0.84 mmol/L vs. –0.31 mmol/L [–74.2 mg/dL vs. –27.9 mg/dL]; P = 0.004) and greater increases in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels (0.14 mmol/L vs. –0.04 mmol/L [5.5 mg/dL vs. –1.6 mg/dL]; P < 0.001). Changes in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level did not differ statistically (0.04 mmol/L [1.6 mg/dL] with the low-carbohydrate diet and –0.19 mmol/L [–7.4 mg/dL] with the low-fat diet; P = 0.2). Minor adverse effects were more frequent in the low-carbohydrate diet group.

Monika4 Fri, May-21-04 06:31

Folks, of all the studies I have seen, this is by far the most complete and most definite: 120 subjects, well designed in that both groups had continuing support, and shows a huge difference in not just weight loss, but also a better drop out rate and better lipid profile

lynneuk Fri, May-21-04 07:48

Interesting, thanks.

Frederick Fri, May-21-04 08:16

Growing up during the 80s and 90s--the apogee of the low fat & high carb era--when it was universally accepted without doubt that limiting fats were to cure to all diseases, sickness, obesity, and would lead us all to the elusive higher level of enlightenment. During the era, if anyone even dared to question the low fat efficacy was immediately scorned. Admittedly, when I started Atkins over a year ago, I was highly skeptical that it would work as advertised. I assumed it was a gimick, which even if effective would eventually lead to heart disease, high blood pressure, turn my blood into goo, and whatever other maladie might befall me. The ONLY reason I tried it was simply the concept of eating low carbs appealed to my palates--in other words, I like meat and fat foods while naturally disliking...well...veggies and foods with little fat, like breads, grains, and all those other low fat touted foods.

Imagine my utter shock when it not only worked as advertised, but also have my Dr. raving about my lab numbers (here is when it gets amusing, she assumed I was on a low fat diet, which I never bothered to correct her on until later). For most of us, I'd imagine the experience to be similar and equally powerful. We all know this works--we're our own living proof. We're in better shape, have more energy (yes, even for vigorous cardio like running 8 - 10 mph for pro-longed distances) disputing that rubbish about carbs are the ONLY source suitable for high intensity cardio (fat works fine), and we're healthy even by "their" measures. After a year or two, can there be dispute that it works? Not to us, but to the individual dissenter, do they not notice the obvious? Every new scientific study lends credence to the merits of eating a low carb regimen. Do they just ignore that? How long will rhetorical dogma stand in the face of science?

I've always felt that if something is true for a period of time, then studies over a longer period of time will only lend even more credibility to the veracity of it's results. This is what I believe we're seeing, and will continue to see. Are any of us even remotely surprised that new unbiased scientific studies favor the low carb approach over low-fat one? Ironic what's happened to my views where in a year, eating low-fat seems so unnatural to while low-carb is absolutely instinctive.

New science will only proove what we all already know and live everyday.

Now, if they can just--for a moment--stop with this "eating whole grains" rubbish, I'd almost be content.

Frederick

Monika4 Fri, May-21-04 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick

Every new scientific study lends credence to the merits of eating a low carb regimen. Do they just ignore that? How long will rhetorical dogma stand in the face of science?

Are any of us even remotely surprised that new unbiased scientific studies favor the low carb approach over low-fat one?
Frederick

Science is slow, and especially medicine has a lot of unproving folk beliefs that are so strongly helt that it takes a revolution to topple them. I am not surprised about the results but what amazes me is that such studies should have been done right when Atkins came out 20 years ago, and nobody did until now - and these aren't hard studies where you have to wait 20 years for lethality - these studies can be done easily in a year. Why they waited so long is beyond me. Someothing similar happened with acupuncture - hundreds of years of experience in China didn't prevent the establishment from stating categorically it is nonsense - only very recently were studies initiated that tested it, and hallo, it works..

DebPenny Fri, May-21-04 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Now, if they can just--for a moment--stop with this "eating whole grains" rubbish, I'd almost be content.

Me too! I've been living for almost 2 1/2 years without grains and I'm doing just fine, thank you very much. And I've never been healthier.

westerner Thu, Jun-10-04 12:11

FYI: This is the full text of Walter Willett's editorial on this study. It's kinda hard to track down on the Internet so I thought I'd include it here.

For decades, nutritionists and dietitians have disparaged the very-low-carbohydrate Atkins diet because it is high in saturated fat and because its purported benefits had not been tested in formal studies. According to the conventional wisdom, a diet low in fat and high in starch reduces the risks for heart disease and cancer and promotes weight loss. However, these claims do not have solid evidence to support them. In large prospective studies, total fat intake does not predict cancer risk (1). In addition, dietary fat per se does not predict the risk for coronary heart disease in ecologic and prospective studies or clinical trials (2, 3); however, intake of specific fatty acids is important. Moreover, high-carbohydrate diets, which reduce high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and raise triglyceride levels, exacerbate the metabolic manifestations of the insulin resistance syndrome (4). The primary remaining justification for high-starch diets has been weight control, but even this rationale is on shaky ground (5, 6). Meta-analyses of studies that mostly lasted 6 months or less suggest a small benefit for low-fat diets (typically 20% to 25% of energy) compared with moderate-fat diets (usually 35% to 40% of energy) (5). However, patients on low-fat diets typically regain lost weight. Two meta-analyses of studies lasting 1 year or more found no sustained reduction in weight; the weighted mean difference in weight change (low-fat diet group minus control group) was -0.25 kg in one analysis (7) and +3.7 kg in another (8), even though the low-fat groups had more intensive interventions, which would create bias in their favor.

Recently, 4 randomized trials in adults have compared very-low-carbohydrate diets with low-fat diets (9-12). This issue contains 2 of these studies: the 6-month study by Yancy and colleagues (11) and the 12-month report by Stern and colleagues (12); the latter is an update of a report of weight loss after 6 months (13). Although the trials differed in the target population, study design, and intensity of intervention, all 4 studies found that weight loss at 6 months was 4 to 6 kg greater in the low-carbohydrate group than in the low-fat group. In the 2 studies that lasted for 1 year, the differences in weight loss had narrowed to 2 kg by 1 year and were no longer statistically significant. In the report by Foster and colleagues (10), this convergence occurred because the low-carbohydrate group regained weight. In the study by Stern and colleagues (12), the low-carbohydrate group maintained the weight loss seen at 6 months, whereas the low-fat group continued to lose weight.

The low-carbohydrate diet had similar effects on blood lipid levels in the 4 studies. The low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets minimally changed low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels, slightly increased HDL cholesterol levels, and markedly decreased fasting triglyceride levels. The changes in HDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels are consistent with the known effects of reducing carbohydrate intake and body fat. The small effects on total and LDL cholesterol probably result in part from greater weight loss, which reduces total and LDL cholesterol levels, thereby offsetting the effects of a higher intake of saturated fat. Although the low-carbohydrate diet had little effect on weight loss by the end of the two 12-month studies, its favorable effects on triglyceride and HDL cholesterol levels persisted. Thus, despite earlier concerns, the low-carbohydrate diets did not, on average, harm blood lipid levels. The dropout rates have tended to be higher for persons on the low-fat diet; this finding is important because the value of any diet depends on the degree to which patients adhere to it over time.

We can no longer dismiss very-low-carbohydrate diets. The findings raise important questions, foremost being the long-term effect on weight. Almost any diet can lead to weight loss over 6 months, but most individuals regain weight. The earlier experience with low-fat diets and now the diminished effects of low-carbohydrate diets at 12 months emphasize the need for additional randomized trials that last for longer than 1 year and that monitor weight and lipid profile. Such studies should compare various levels of fat, different forms of carbohydrate, and combinations with physical activity programs. More intensive re-enforcement of the dietary interventions is another strategy; whether it will lead to sustained differences in weight requires further research.

If low-carbohydrate diets are effective, what pathophysiologic mechanisms would be responsible? One underlying hypothesis is that a high dietary glycemic load (the contribution to blood glucose of all foods consumed in a meal) increases the difficulty of weight control because the high intake of refined starches and sugars causes rapid swings in blood insulin and glucose levels; these, in turn, stimulate hunger between meals and lead to more snacking. This mechanism has support (14). Some have dismissed low-carbohydrate diets because participants have reported lower caloric intake, even though the diet does not specifically restrict calories. However, this criticism is hardly valid because a diet that facilitates lower caloric intake is the key to sustained weight loss. Whether the mild ketosis that occurs with severe carbohydrate restriction contributes to weight loss is unclear; notably, only half of the participants in the study by Yancy and colleagues remained ketotic during the follow-up, and even fewer did so in the less intensive study by Samaha and colleagues (13). Ketosis may simply be part of a beneficial continuum of carbohydrate restriction. Alternatively, perhaps monitoring for ketosis may be an effective feedback mechanism for maintaining dietary adherence. Some have suggested that food energy is used less efficiently during ketosis, but as Yancy and colleagues point out, testing this hypothesis will require monitoring and much more precise measures of intake and energy expenditure.

How can we maximize the health-enhancing effects of the Atkins diet? Dr. Atkins deserves credit for his observations that many persons can control their weight by greatly reducing carbohydrate intake and for his funding of trials by independent investigators. Nevertheless, advocating unlimited servings of beef, sausage, and butter would not serve our overweight patients well. Other dietary strategies, such as replacing saturated fat with a combination of monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats, will reduce LDL cholesterol levels, platelet aggregation, endothelial dysfunction, and insulin resistance (15). In addition, considerable evidence suggests that replacing red and processed meats with a combination of fish, nuts, legumes, and poultry would reduce the risks for colon cancer, prostate cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, even if total fat remains high. Also, eating several servings of whole grains high in fiber per day, which is possible while maintaining a relatively low total carbohydrate intake, has consistently been associated with lower risks for type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease. Replacing refined carbohydrates with whole grains, vegetables, and some fruits such as apples will also reduce the spikes of glucose and insulin that provoke hunger and will provide additional micronutrients and fiber. In his last book, Atkins (16), too, had shifted considerably toward this healthier version of a low-carbohydrate diet.

In the context of these studies of the low-carbohydrate diet, what advice can we offer our patients who want to lose weight? Responses to weight loss interventions typically vary widely; for example, some persons in both groups of the study by Yancy and colleagues lost more than 20 kg, some had modest weight changes, and others lost nothing. These differences are probably due to a combination of genetic, environmental, and psychosocial factors. As an example of a genetic influence, the relation between specific types of dietary fat and body weight appears to depend on a specific polymorphism in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma gene (17). One implication of the large variation in response to diet is that the mean values from randomized trials apply to few individuals and that 'n of 1' experiments with specific diets are valid for any patient. Thus, we can encourage overweight patients to experiment with various methods for weight control, including reduced-carbohydrate diets, as long as they emphasize healthy sources of fat and protein and incorporate regular physical activity. Patients should focus on finding ways to eat that they can maintain indefinitely rather than seeking diets that promote rapid weight loss. For many patients, the roll will have little role.

- Walter C. Willett, MD, DrPH Harvard School of Public Health; Boston, MA 02115

REFERENCES:

1. Hunter DJ, Spiegelman D, Adami HO, Beeson L, van den Brandt PA, Folsom AR, et al. Cohort studies of fat intake and the risk of breast cancer -a pooled analysis. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:356-61. [PMID: 8538706] PubMed

2. U.S. National Research Council, Committee on Diet and Health. Diet and Health: Implications for Reducing Chronic Disease Risk. Washington, DC: National Academy Pr; 1989. PubMed

3. Hu FB, Stampfer MJ, Manson JE, Rimm E, Colditz GA, Rosner BA, et al. Dietary fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:1491-9. [PMID: 9366580] PubMed

4. Institute of Medicine. PubMed

5. Bray GA, Popkin BM. Dietary fat intake does affect obesity! Am J Clin Nutr. 1998;68:1157-73. [PMID: 9846842] PubMed

6. Willett WC. Dietary fat and obesity: an unconvincing relation [Editorial]. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998;68:1149-50. [PMID: 9846838] PubMed

7. Willett WC, Leibel RL. Dietary fat is not a major determinant of body fat. Am J Med. 2002;113 Suppl 9B:47S-59S. [PMID: 12566139] PubMed

8. Pirozzo S, Summerbell C, Cameron C, Glasziou P. Advice on low-fat diets for obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002:CD003640. [PMID: 12076496] PubMed

9. Brehm BJ, Seeley RJ, Daniels SR, D'Alessio DA. A randomized trial comparing a very low carbohydrate diet and a calorie-restricted low fat diet on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors in healthy women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:1617-23. [PMID: 12679447] PubMed

10. Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, McGuckin BG, Brill C, Mohammed BS, et al. A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2082-90. [PMID: 12761365] PubMed

11. Yancy WS Jr, Olsen MK, Guyton JR, Bakst RP, Westman EC. A low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low-fat diet to treat obesity and hyperlipidemia. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:69-77. PubMed

12. Stern L, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory J, et al. The effects of low-carbohydrate versus conventional weight loss diets in severely obese adults: one-year follow-up of a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:778-85. PubMed

13. Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory J, et al. A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2074-81. [PMID: 12761364] PubMed

14. Ebbeling CB, Leidig MM, Sinclair KB, Hangen JP, Ludwig DS. A reduced-glycemic load diet in the treatment of adolescent obesity. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003;157:773-9. [PMID: 12912783] PubMed

15. Hu FB, Willett WC. Optimal diets for prevention of coronary heart disease. JAMA. 2002;288:2569-78. [PMID: 12444864] PubMed

16. Atkins R. Atkins for Life. New York: St. Martin's Pr; 2003. PubMed

17. Memisoglu A, Hu FB, Hankinson SE, Manson JE, De Vivo I, Willett WC, et al. Interaction between a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma gene polymorphism and dietary fat intake in relation to body mass. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:2923-9. [PMID: 14506127] PubMed

Angeline Thu, Jun-10-04 16:01

Interesting. Consider Willett's statement and recommended diet. First he praises very low carb diet and goes to to recommened a diet thats pretty high in carb and low in saturated fat. Read this quote I got from another post called Insulin and chronic diseases

Quote:
Let’s talk about the Egyptian diet. Now, the Egyptians are kind of unique, in that they left an excellent record. There are considered to be more mummies than there are currently Egyptians, and many of these were preserved very well. Mummifying was probably the ultimate antioxidant. What did they eat? There are multiple records in the papyrus writings, and in the examinations of the digestive systems of the Egyptians were very excellent documentations of the diets of the ancient Egyptians. What was it? Well, they ate a lot of fresh vegetables. They ate a lot of lettuce, cucumbers, garlic, onion, lentils, peas, and they used a lot of olive oil. The only oils they essentially used for cooking were olive oil and sesame oil. They used no lard. They ate a lot of bread, and the bread was made by freshly stone-grinding wheat and barley. There were no processed foods; they didn’t have cans then. They used a little bit of honey, and no refined sugar; obviously, they didn’t have refined sugar then; that didn’t come for another thousand years. They ate no red meat. They ate a little bit of fish, they ate some chicken, and of course, it was free-range chicken. They ate a very low-cholesterol diet, and a very low-saturated fat diet. Does this diet sound familiar? Sounds like a diet that was previously recommended in this mornings talk as being a very excellent and healthy diet. I mean, you couldn’t go into a health food store and buy that good a diet. So, what was the health of these people like? ...... It is well known that ancient Egyptians had a very high incidence of coronary disease. In analyzing the arteries, and they had a high incidence of calcified plaque in the arteries, and these people did not live long. They died young; even at a young age, their plaque was highly calcified, indicating it had been there for a while. We also know that they had hypertension, and they had rampant obesity. These people were not thin like you see in writings. Now of course, when we take pictures in magazines, we only take pictures of beautiful, live models. The ancient Egyptians were actually an obese society. They also had very poor dental hygiene. They had a lot of infection, a lot of parasites, and they were not a healthy society, and yet, they ate a diet that would be the choice of diet that is currently recommended. The diet that the Egyptians ate, and the diet that is currently recommended, is a high-carbohydrate diet.