Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Ecc For Psyllium Husks? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48878)

lossiebeth Thu, Jun-27-02 03:30

Ecc For Psyllium Husks?

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT THE CARB COUNT FOR PSYLLIUM HUSKS AND IT ISN'T HAPPENING. I CHECKED THE CARB COUNTER ON THIS SITE AND ASKED THE ATKINS WEBSITE, BUT NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW.

AS THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH PURELY FIBRE, I AM THINKING THEY MUST BE ALRIGHT, BUT A GIRL LIKES TO BE SURE ;) I LOVE THEM, BTW. THEY ARE THE ONLY THING REMOTELY RESEMBLING GRAIN THAT I GET, AND BOY DO THEY SEEM LIKE A TREAT :D I MIX THEM IN WITH TOFU OR SOYA MILK AND A BIT OF SWEETENER, AND THEY THICKEN UP SO NICELY. IT'S A BIT LIKE COLD PORRIDGE OR SOMETHING. GOSH,THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE DOESN'T IT? :lol:

ANY IDEAS ON THE CARB COUNT ANYONE?

Bonnie Thu, Jun-27-02 03:39

RE: Purely Bulk Psyllium Husks

Nutritional Info:

per 1 tsp:

Energy 1.9 cal.
Protein 0.1 gm.
Fat 0.0 gm.
Carbs 1.6 gm.
fibre 1.5 gm.

There you have it..........

Bonnie

Natrushka Thu, Jun-27-02 07:19

Gotta love them psyllium husks - almost all fiber.

Beth, psyllium is listed on Fitday.com if you use that site to track calories.

N

lossiebeth Thu, Jun-27-02 12:26

SO, 1.6 GMS. PER TEASPOON, THEN SUBTRACT THE FIBER, AND THAT LEAVES ME WITH...WELL, PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH TO WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT UNLESS THAT IS ALL I EAT ;)

WHEW, WHAT A RELIEF! THANKS GUYS! :D

jaykay Wed, Jul-10-02 15:08

Now there's an idea, psyllium husk porridge! At the moment, I'm screwing up my face and just drinking it down, which is pretty horrid. I'm going to try making them into something nice tonight. Good idea 'Beth. :)

lossiebeth Thu, Jul-11-02 03:30

well, we north-east u.k. types have to stick together, don't we? ;)

discovering the soya milkshake with psyllium has saved me. i use soya milk, slap in a scoop of protein powder (the soya protein isolate powder from holland & barrett has 24 grams of protein per scoop), some vanilla or cinamon, sweetener, and the beloved psyllium husks. mixing it all is a pain; when i can be arsed i use the food processor (otherwise, a cocktail skaker). leave it a bit and it thickens up. bliss! ;)

penelope Thu, Jul-11-02 08:42

Hi Lossiebeth!

I am in love with my morning psyllium chocolate shake.

lossiebeth Fri, Jul-12-02 04:36

mmm! that sounds great! i've never tried chocolate, though i did add carob to one once, just for a change.

time for breakfast! ;)

vbpierre Fri, Jul-12-02 04:54

Pysillium husks in tablets ?

Hello List ,
I'm using Pysillium husks in tablets.
I take 2 in the morn. and 2 at night.

How much does it have as carb ?

Unfortunetly it is not said in the package !

Thanks.

Bonnie Fri, Jul-12-02 06:42

RE: Tablets

Can't help you there ...have only the husks but am sure someone will be able to answer your question...suspect they would be quite low though :) ...B

penelope Fri, Jul-12-02 08:45

Do psyllium pills work,I would put them in a bit of water to see how fast they reabsorb liquid.
Intestinal physllium plugs would be excrutiating.Sometimes pills are polished and have a hard coat to break down.
Fiber is substracted from carbohydrate.